Something primeval

Altron

Couldn't we also take grill to be the interface between the meat and the flame? Stovetops use pots or pans or griddles, always on a flat heated surface. Grills suspend the meat on a thick mesh of bars, with direct exposure to the flame. I think that's what differentiaates grills and stoves - direct exposure to the flame.

chcr

Too cute for words
Altron said:
Couldn't we also take grill to be the interface between the meat and the flame? Stovetops use pots or pans or griddles, always on a flat heated surface. Grills suspend the meat on a thick mesh of bars, with direct exposure to the flame. I think that's what differentiaates grills and stoves - direct exposure to the flame.
*handonhip Here's a perfectly meaningless argument ruined by someone making sense.

:rofl:

Altron

Gonz said:
Many of the newer gas grilles have drip bars, removing that difference.

Ok, how about this - A stove has a contained cooking area, a grill does not. With a pan or pot, things dripping off of the meat stay right there. With a grill, they drip between the bars and land on the flame or a drip bar.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Altron said:
Ok, how about this - A stove has a contained cooking area, a grill does not. With a pan or pot, things dripping off of the meat stay right there. With a grill, they drip between the bars and land on the flame or a drip bar.

How about this. It's a grill if the heat is controlled by either vents, food height, or both. Otherwise it's a stovetop. :p

Winky

there should be a law against how good this
still sizzling char-broiled New York strip is tasting

doh there prolly is, the law of nature

prolly layin' down a fresh coat in my
left anterior descending and circumflex arteries

but oh Yum!