Something primeval

Winky

Professur said:
I'd need a snowblower to dig mine out. I stop using it when I can't get to it without a shovel.

All I can say Prof, is that doesn't happen here:

hat.JPG

Winky

but it's a dry heat

l8r I'm off too the store in search of dead animal
flesh for dinner

kingsford-charcoal.jpg

Winky

Only if it will fit on one of the three cars I currently own

Truth is, I've switched over to this stuff

it rocks

products_bag_2.jpg

Altron

I fired up the gas grill today. Damn shame, there was no snow to melt. 40* F (6*C?) and toasty warm, with only a little wind. Charcoal pwns, but I don't have time to gather kindling on a weeknight. I almost ended up doing it though, since the propane tank was gettin' low. I made it last for tonight, but next weekend I'm going to the hardware store and getting some more.

abooja

If I'm anywhere near a real charcoal grill, I like to use a combination of lump charcoal and soaked hickory chunks. I've used Royal Oak most recently because it's abundant around here. BTW, if you're looking for information on lump charcoal, I just found this amazing site. :thumbup:

Edited to add:

Shipping costs on a race car hood from NYC to Ari-by God-zona would be a fortune...
Certainly true. I paid more than $150 to have it shipped from North Carolina to NYC, more than the item itself cost me on eBay. :rolleyes:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Professur said:
I'd need a snowblower to dig mine out. I stop using it when I can't get to it without a shovel.

That's why God created garages. I use mine year round, admittedly, less so in th eheart of winter because it takes longer (even the fire gets chilled)...virtuallly daily during spring, summer & autumn.

highwayman

Winky said:
but it's a dry heat

l8r I'm off too the store in search of dead animal
flesh for dinner

kingsford-charcoal.jpg

Why go that far? just take a walk on the street and you can come up with a good road kill....

AlphaTroll

Do none of you use actual wood to make your fires? Over here it's more common to use a hardwood to build the fire and the braai once it's been reduced to coals.

Except when we do potjie, then it's coals all the way.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Inkara1 said:
Nothing beats the taste of cooking it over charcoal... or oak wood. That said, gas grills are a lot more convenient. They're ready to go in five minutes, instead of half an hour or so with the coals.

But you'll miss two very important things...heat and flavor. You can try as you like, but you'll never get a gas grill anywhere near the upper temps of a charcoal grill. You won't get that smokey flavor either...without resorting to "liquid smoke" :sick:...My number one pet peeve, though, is this...If you don't have the time, WTF start a charcoal grill anyway?

Inkara1

Oh, I know you won't get the same flavor as over charcoal. But it's still better than the oven.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'll agree with Inkys premise. A gas grill is better than an Amana. However, I do not & will not ever buy a gas grill. Should we receive one as a gift, it'll make a damned nice planter.

chcr

Too cute for words
Inkara1 said:
Oh, I know you won't get the same flavor as over charcoal. But it's still better than the oven.

Interestingly, mine has a tray for wood chips (I like hickory, Dara likes mesquite). If you're creative enough, a gas grill is fine. :shrug:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:
Interestingly, mine has a tray for wood chips (I like hickory, Dara likes mesquite). If you're creative enough, a gas grill is fine. :shrug:

But that's the point, innit? That, and you can be much more creative with a good lump charcoal and some fruit, or nut wood than you ever can be with a gas grill. The only thing a gas grill has going for it is time.