Something primeval

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
But that's the point, innit? That, and you can be much more creative with a good lump charcoal and some fruit, or nut wood than you ever can be with a gas grill. The only thing a gas grill has going for it is time.
Substantially true, but my point is that you can (and I do) get very good meat and veggies from a gas grill. I have one of each actually, but I use the gas grill 90% of the time. I do use the charcoal/wood grill for barbecue though. Actually, now that I think of it, I have an electric grill built into my cooktop. Useful for steaks in inclement weather...

Let me just add that the way 99% of people cook there is substantially no difference between one type of grill and another, it's simply trendy to act like there is. Of course, most people think cooking hamburgers and hot dogs outdoors is "barbecueing."

tonksy

:shrug: personally, I'd rather have a gas grill. It's cleaner and easier. I don't miss the charcoal flavor because I like spicy food and always use a good marinade.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
tonksy said:
:shrug: personally, I'd rather have a gas grill. It's cleaner and easier. I don't miss the charcoal flavor because I like spicy food and always use a good marinade.

:alienhuh: A gas grill is easier to clean? Once the coals are out, I can scoop out the ash, if any, and rinse with a hose.

Other than that, easier is not always better. There is no way a gas grill can compete with the heat you get from charcoal. I can stoke my firebox up to 650F...don't ask...a temperature that would seriously damage a gas grill. Plus I don't have to worry about having a rather explosive liquified gas just below my cooking surface. (This in no way implies that gas grills are dangerous...just not as safe as charcoal). :p

Professur

On the other hand, if your charcoal grill ever gets knocked over by rowdy kids, the big dog, or even just somebody stumbling, you've got 650 degree coals all over the deck. I, on the other hand, just have to lift it back into place, since my explosive liquified gas is in a container which automatically seals if tipped over.

That said ..... I've yet to see gas used at any pro grilling tournament. But I'm not a pro.

Aunty Em

SouthernN'Proud said:
Cut the horns and the nuts off, warm it up a little, and put it on the plate.

*except hamburger...that needs to actually be cooked a little bit...
ur not a steak tartar man then...

... actually I prefer venison steaks lightly char grilled, much nicer than steak.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Bambi and all that... just gimme the gun.

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
On the other hand, if your charcoal grill ever gets knocked over by rowdy kids, the big dog, or even just somebody stumbling, you've got 650 degree coals all over the deck. I, on the other hand, just have to lift it back into place, since my explosive liquified gas is in a container which automatically seals if tipped over.

My grill sits atop a foundation of brick and mortar. It sits on such a substantial surface because it weighs about 150 pounds (68.something kilos). If a kid, or dog, can knock that over, they can have it. ;)

prof said:
That said ..... I've yet to see gas used at any pro grilling tournament. But I'm not a pro.

You don't have to be. I'm not, either, but I just can't get over the fact that there should be a difference between cooking on a grill and cooking over a stove...which is what a gas grill really is. Might as well cook indoors, unless you use wood chips...and for that you may as well use charcoal.

majestyx

Gato, while I can understand your reasoning, I don't particularly care for my steaks being cooked over wood chips. I use a marinade for my flavoring, and not one that comes already prepared either. I use a gas grill for most of my outdoor cooking, as I can regulate the heat (much better than I can charcoal) for what I am cooking. I also have a smoker for barbeque'd items such as brisket, ribs and such. I don't mind using a charcoal grill, but that isn't possible for weekday meals, as I can't just crank it up and slap the meat on within 10 minutes or so. I prefer to have my evening meals before 8 or 9 pm, and that would be the case with charcoal. Save that for the weekends..............on the ones when I cook! :)

Altron

For something like steak, I wouldn't even consider a gas grill. But I don't have the time on weeknights to go out, find dry kindling, and get the charcoal going. I like to eat dinner by 7PM, not by 9PM. For burgers or chicken, a gas grill is fine on weeknights.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
You don't have to be. I'm not, either, but I just can't get over the fact that there should be a difference between cooking on a grill and cooking over a stove...which is what a gas grill really is. Might as well cook indoors, unless you use wood chips...and for that you may as well use charcoal.

I am NOT saying that gas grills are "real bbq" or anything like that, I am not getting involved in that part of the argument. I love food cooked over open fire...but on the same note, I love food cooked on a gas grill. Food cooked inside with a stove is NOT the same as on a gas grill. I will NOT cook steaks inside even and I PREFER chicken and the like cooked on a gas grill over a stove. So, while I am not claiming a gas grill is real bbq I AM TELLING you that a gas grill and an inside stove are NOT the same.

majestyx

Nixy said:
So, while I am not claiming a gas grill is real bbq I AM TELLING you that a gas grill and an inside stove are NOT the same.
Okay, okay!!! Got it!

And, I totally agree with it! :lol2:

chcr

Too cute for words
Just had a sirloin for dinner. Pan fried it with a nice rub that gave it a bit of a crispy, crusty texture on the outside and left it tender and juicy inside. A garden salad, a little rice pilaf and a Georges DeBoeuf beaujolais. Quite enjoyable.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
gas GRILL

charcoal BBQ

diffrent things.

charcoal does taste a bit better, wood is the bomb though

in canada bbq is grilling, not smoking the meat or slow cooking it.

(I finally had REAL barbque.....it was.....WOW!!!)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
BBQ is sauce based & slow cooked...even in Canada. We call grilling BBQ to piss off the Texans.

Gato_Solo

majestyx said:
Gato, while I can understand your reasoning, I don't particularly care for my steaks being cooked over wood chips. I use a marinade for my flavoring, and not one that comes already prepared either. I use a gas grill for most of my outdoor cooking, as I can regulate the heat (much better than I can charcoal) for what I am cooking. I also have a smoker for barbeque'd items such as brisket, ribs and such. I don't mind using a charcoal grill, but that isn't possible for weekday meals, as I can't just crank it up and slap the meat on within 10 minutes or so. I prefer to have my evening meals before 8 or 9 pm, and that would be the case with charcoal. Save that for the weekends..............on the ones when I cook! :)

While I can agree with what you're saying...to a point...regulating the heat is done by either raising cooking surface, opening/closing the air vents for circulation, or both. If you're turning a knob to a preset number, then you're not 'grilling', or 'barbecueing'. You're cooking on a stove-top.

This was written with Nixy in mind as well. It's a purist kinda thing. I've also been known to cook over a campfire. That's where you really have to be careful. One misstep and dinner goes literally up in flames. ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
BBQ is sauce based & slow cooked...even in Canada. We call grilling BBQ to piss off the Texans.
Seasoning based, it doesn't have to be a sauce. I prefer sauce-based to dry seasonings myself though. You do have to cook it slow though. One of my favorite barbecue joints here has a sign on the wall that reads, "Dead pig cooked to perfection." It would be arrogant if it weren't true. :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
While I can agree with what you're saying...to a point...regulating the heat is done by either raising cooking surface, opening/closing the air vents for circulation, or both. If you're turning a knob to a preset number, then you're not 'grilling', or 'barbecueing'. You're cooking on a stove-top.

This was written with Nixy in mind as well. It's a purist kinda thing. I've also been known to cook over a campfire. That's where you really have to be careful. One misstep and dinner goes literally up in flames. ;)

How is a grill over a flame cooking on a stove top? It's IMPOSSIBLE to make a steak inside on a stove that tastes like a steak cooked on a gas grill, therefore not the same.

majestyx

Gato_Solo said:

Well, all I can say is my gas grill, or 'stove-top' as you like to call it, is manufactured by Coleman. And, it is used OUTDOORS, not indoors as my 'stove-top' is. It has a variation of settings as to how high/hot the flame is burning, not just ONE preset number.

You say potato, I say tater.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
majestyx said:
Well, all I can say is my gas grill, or 'stove-top' as you like to call it, is manufactured by Coleman. And, it is used OUTDOORS, not indoors as my 'stove-top' is. It has a variation of settings as to how high/hot the flame is burning, not just ONE preset number.

mmmmmm tater

Gato_Solo

majestyx said:

05261a.jpg

66611110063101-large-Coleman-Series-3000-Gas-Grill-LG30610EB.jpg

FSGG424F-SS.gif

200_gasstove3.JPG

I see multiple settings for both. You're still not convincing me. :D