Something primeval

Winky

Meat just seems to taste better when cooked
out of doors over a charcoal fire.

Perhaps it goes back to our caveman days.

cav.JPG

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
over charcoal? like there's some other method :rolleyes:

well, come to think about it, I have heard about neaderthals cooking meat in the oven :rofl3:

Inkara1

Nothing beats the taste of cooking it over charcoal... or oak wood. That said, gas grills are a lot more convenient. They're ready to go in five minutes, instead of half an hour or so with the coals.

Altron

The only real way to start your fire is with real kindling. Small twigs or a dry log and a hatchet will do it. Maybe a little newspaper. No more than one match. None of that girly lighter fluid or horseshoe shaped electric heating element shit.

AlphaTroll

So, do American men (like their Canadian and Australian counterparts) also insist on throwing meat on a grill, while there are still flames going mad? Or do you actually know what you are doing?

Inkara1

I can't speak for all my countrymen but I personally like to wait until the flame's died down and all that's left are the hot coals. Burned meat suxx0rz.

highwayman

AlphaTroll said:
So, do American men (like their Canadian and Australian counterparts) also insist on throwing meat on a grill, while there are still flames going mad? Or do you actually know what you are doing?

As long as it is singed around the edges and red in the middle who cares?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Cut the horns and the nuts off, warm it up a little, and put it on the plate.

*except hamburger...that needs to actually be cooked a little bit...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Real meat need grey coals...burger can be cooked over fire. If it's mooing, it's not quite done.

Altron

The only times that there are huge flames are when the grease is dripping onto the coals, or the kindling is burning.

BTW, this is how to light a weber -

Get some newspaper and kindling, ranging from a small twig to 1/4" thick or so. Open the vents on the bottom and take out both grilles, roll up three newspapers, and stick one in each. Then crumple up another newspaper and put it in the grill in the middle. Stack the twigs around it. Put the top grille on and put the coals on top. Roll up a newspaper and light the end with a match. Use it to light the three newspapers sticking out of the bottom. You should get a pretty nice fire going, then when the coals are grey, pick up the top grille, put the bottom grille in, and then pour the coals onto the bottom grille. Then clean off the top grille and put your food on it.

My rule of thumb - if you need to close the vents, there's too much charcoal. I start off small and if it doesn't cook, I add more. My dad, on the other hand, starts off with too much then needs to close the vent. One time it was about 10 degrees farenheit (-10 or so for you celcius people) and I was grilling a lot, so I put used like 4 lbs of charcoal. It didn't turn out well. The burgers looked fine, but the middle was only lukewarm. There's probably a thread about it somewhere if you're inclined to look. That was one hot motherfucking fire. It melted a bunch of snow that got too close.

*Like any real man, I use my grill 12 months a year and in any weather condition. Not like those pussies who only use it in the summer and only when it isn't raining.

highwayman

What I have to say is gas baby!!! What I do is pop the meat into a smoker for an hour or more (depending on the amount being cooked) Then it goes on the grill and cooked to the desired color....

Professur

Altron said:
*Like any real man, I use my grill 12 months a year and in any weather condition. Not like those pussies who only use it in the summer and only when it isn't raining.

I'd need a snowblower to dig mine out. I stop using it when I can't get to it without a shovel.

TexasRaceLady

Keep my grill close to the back door so I can get to it in all kinds of weather.

Like my steaks rare with the juices flowing.

Burgers need a bit more cooking, though.

TexasRaceLady

Prof, I mean every kind of weather we get down here. ;)

I've used it when there was an inch of ice on the porch. And, when the rain was coming down. It's just close enough to the house to be slightly sheltered from downpours.