Whatever happened to...

spike

She broke no rules or laws. There have been no accusations of her breaking rules or laws.

Bush has only said "I don't like it" because that's all that he can do.

Pretty easy for me to understand.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Newt Gingrich goes to the Balkans & has a sit down with Milosevic. Would you feel the same?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Not only is she overstepping her authority, she's a liar too.

HOUSE SPEAKER Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) offered an excellent demonstration yesterday of why members of Congress should not attempt to supplant the secretary of state when traveling abroad. After a meeting with Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad in Damascus, Ms. Pelosi announced that she had delivered a message from Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert that "Israel was ready to engage in peace talks" with Syria. What's more, she added, Mr. Assad was ready to "resume the peace process" as well. Having announced this seeming diplomatic breakthrough, Ms. Pelosi suggested that her Kissingerian shuttle diplomacy was just getting started. "We expressed our interest in using our good offices in promoting peace between Israel and Syria," she said.

Only one problem: The Israeli prime minister entrusted Ms. Pelosi with no such message. "What was communicated to the U.S. House Speaker does not contain any change in the policies of Israel," said a statement quickly issued by the prime minister's office. In fact, Mr. Olmert told Ms. Pelosi that "a number of Senate and House members who recently visited Damascus received the impression that despite the declarations of Bashar Assad, there is no change in the position of his country regarding a possible peace process with Israel." In other words, Ms. Pelosi not only misrepresented Israel's position but was virtually alone in failing to discern that Mr. Assad's words were mere propaganda.

Washington Post

MrBishop

Her visit is more of an indicator of Bush's lame-duck status than a raise in her own authority/power - imagined or otherwise.

MrBishop

She's a speaker of the house - which is where her power lies (within those walls). Unless she's aiming for an overthrow of the whole process..she's not going to get any more power.

It's taking advantage of his political weakness. Cheap way to throw it in his face, but there you go.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Unless she's aiming for an overthrow of the whole process..

Overstepping her express authority. The President makes treaties, with the consent of THE SENATE. Putting herself where she doesn't belong in stepping on the toes of another branch. What she doesn't know may hurt us.

chcr

Too cute for words
You should thank her Gonz. She gave you a new imagined slight to piss and moan about.

As Spike points out she has broken no law. Overstepped her authority maybe but no laws were broken. She negotiated no treaty, she merely talked with them. As for her being a liar, that's just another word for politician, try not to act surprised. :shrug:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Attitudes like that is why our government is in the shape it is in. Instead of holding politicians responsible, we pass it off as common occurence.

spike

Attitudes like that is why our government is in the shape it is in. Instead of holding politicians responsible, we pass it off as common occurence.

That's right! Let's hold Gonzales, Bremer, Cheney, Libby, Bush, etc. responsible!

cnn-pelosi-syria.jpg

bush-musharraf.jpg

cheney-faud.jpg

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Bush got permission from Congress.

Cheney, what's he done that you think is illegal?

Bremer? WTF???

Gonzales...it's illegal to fire your own attorneys?

BB

you are against her covering her face Gonz? :D

.. he must be in love!... :rofl2:

(any scent or sound of Church bells?) ;)

Gotholic

r1528544596.jpg

U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi prays at tomb of John the
Baptist inside the Umayyad mosque during a tour in Damascus
April 3, 2007. REUTERS/Jamal Saidi (SYRIA)

Kind of hypocritical for Pelosi, a Catholic, given the fact that the introit chant for the Nativity of St. John the Baptist is, "The Lord has called me by name from the womb of my mother", yet, she is for abortion.

And I am almost certain Pelosi does not wear a veil while she attends a Catholic Church, yet, she chooses to follow Muslim rules.

What a facetious hypocrite.

Anyways, perhaps Gonz is on to something...

U.S. Constitution, Article II

Section 2. The President shall be commander in chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the militia of the several states, when called into the actual service of the United States; he may require the opinion, in writing, of the principal officer in each of the executive departments, upon any subject relating to the duties of their respective offices, and he shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment.

He shall have power, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, to make treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, judges of the Supreme Court, and all other officers of the United States, whose appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by law: but the Congress may by law vest the appointment of such inferior officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the courts of law, or in the heads of departments.

The President shall have power to fill up all vacancies that may happen during the recess of the Senate, by granting
commissions which shall expire at the end of their next session.

Section 3. He shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the state of the union, and recommend to their consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them, with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn them to such time as he shall think proper; he shall receive ambassadors and other public ministers; he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed, and shall commission all the officers of the United States.

The Logan Act § 953. Private correspondence with foreign governments.

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both. This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply himself, or his agent, to any foreign government, or the agents thereof, for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

spike

Kind of hypocritical for Pelosi, a Catholic, given the fact that the introit chant for the Nativity of St. John the Baptist is, "The Lord has called me by name from the womb of my mother", yet, she is for abortion.

Where's the hypocrisy?

And I am almost certain Pelosi does not wear a veil while she attends a Catholic Church, yet, she chooses to follow Muslim rules.

What a facetious hypocrite.

I can wear a hat at some bars here and not others. If I go along with the dress code am I a hypocrit? :laugh:

Anyways, perhaps Gonz is on to something...

Members of congress from both sides have been going on trips and meeting with leaders for years. The only hypocrits are the ones bitching about Pelosi.

Foreign policy experts generally agree that Pelosi's dealings with Middle East leaders have not strayed far, if at all, from those typical for a congressional trip

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040402752.html?hpid=moreheadlines

chcr

Too cute for words

I can't take that as anything but a joke. Hold politicians accountable for lying? Next you'll want lawyers to have ethics or something.

spike

Bush got permission from Congress.

Cheney, what's he done that you think is illegal?

Bremer? WTF???

Gonzales...it's illegal to fire your own attorneys?

All those guys combined scandals and coverups could fill a list a mile long. Yet you write each and every one of them off unthinkingly.

Don't give me any hypocritical crap about holding government officials responsible.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
spike, when they get charged with crimes, let me know. Until then, keep fishing.