Whatever happened to...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Politics ends at the shoreline? Looks like we have a serious contender for a collaboration charge.

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) - U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi met Syrian President Bashar Assad Wednesday for talks criticized by the White House as undermining American efforts to isolate the hard-line Arab country.

The California Democrat and accompanying members of Congress began their day by holding separate talks with Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem and Vice President Farouk al-Sharaa and then met Assad, who hosted them for lunch after their talks.

WHat hell would they raise if Ms Pelosi wsa forced to wear this in a western country? WHy is it not a problem when these backwater countries crush wimmins rights?

capt.xhm10204031738.mideast_syria_us_pelosi_xhm102.jpg

Source

spike

Good work Pelosi! With Bush's total incompetence at diplomacy somebody needs to step up.

I'm not sure what your women's rights comment has to do with the topic though.

chcr

Too cute for words
I'm not sure what your women's rights comment has to do with the topic though.

You know, I find it difficult to believe that even you can ignore the treatment of women in most middle-eastern nations, even to make a point. Surely you're aware that he isn't just referring to the way they dress, right?

spike

I'm aware, I'm just not sure what it has to do with Pelosi's visit.

Is he trying to say that no diplomatic negotations should be attempted with any country that does not grant equal rights to all it's citizens? That would eliminate a lot of countries including our own.

chcr

Too cute for words
I'm aware, I'm just not sure what it has to do with Pelosi's visit.

Is he trying to say that no diplomatic negotations should be attempted with any country that does not grant equal rights to all it's citizens? That would eliminate a lot of countries including our own.

No, he's saying no diplomatic negotations should be attempted with any country. ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
:rofl4:

:eh:

:blank:

As an indicator, look at her head. Would she be required to wear that in, say, Finland? Why or why not?

She is not a diplomat. She is a member of the House. Bound by Aticle 1. It's not her job to start any negotiations. In fact, it may well be overstepping her authority & potentially treasonous, since Syria is on our shit list. If you don't like the way your President is handling matters, let him know...by USPS, by email or, especially, at the ballot box.

spike

As an indicator, look at her head. Would she be required to wear that in, say, Finland? Why or why not?

So how does this relate to the topic?

She is not a diplomat. She is a member of the House. Bound by Aticle 1. It's not her job to start any negotiations. In fact, it may well be overstepping her authority & potentially treasonous

Nope, nothing illegal about it at all.

If you don't like the way your President is handling matters, let him know...by USPS, by email or, especially, at the ballot box.

We did the ballot box thing and now have a new Speaker who is doing something about it.

spike

Avoidance doesn't suit you.

You're the one avoiding the question "how does this relate to the topic?" I tried taking a guess here:

Article 1...pleae, point out where she has the authority.

Point out where she doesn't.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I created the topic. That's how it relates.

Article 1 spells out the full & completre list of aithority that Congress has. That's where "she doesn't".

spike

Article 1 does not state that a congress member can engage in a discussion with their own parents. Does that mean they can't?

Face it, she did nothing against against the rules.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
She is acting as an agent of the United States. Talking to her parents woul dbe her time.

spike

If Pelosi broke federal law show me the law. Let's see some charges. Otherwise, IT'S A FISHING EXPEDITION.

Damn, that sounded familiar.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Let's see.

Article 1 of the US Constitution describes, in detail, the extent of power of the Legislative Branch. I can't seem to find one instance of the word DIPLOMAT (or any realted word) as a function of a member of Congress.

However, Article 2 does give the Executive branch power to negotiate treaties. One would presume that also means to NOT negotiate, although that can be argued.

Nope, no fishing here. Clear usurpance of authority.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I don't yet know.

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi held talks with Syria's leader

She was acting under authority not granted the ordinary citizen so she wasn't there to sight-see.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
:rofl4:

Hey, HOT DAMN!!!! The terrosits back Nancy.

:lol:

JERUSALEM – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's visit today to Syria – in which she called for dialogue with Damascus – was "brave" and "very appreciated" and could bring about "important changes" to America's foreign policy, including talks with "Middle East resistance groups," according to members of terror organizations here whose top leaders live in Syria.

One terror leader, Khaled Al-Batch, a militant and spokesman for Islamic Jihad, expressed hope Pelosi would continue winning elections, explaining the House speaker's Damascus visit demonstrated she understands the Middle East.

Pelosi's visit was opposed by President Bush, who called Syria a "state sponsor of terror."

WND

spike

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi held talks with Syria's leader

Woah, she talked to someone?

Maybe about finding sensible solutions to world problems? WTF?