U.N. dork slams U.S. as 'stingy' over aid

abooja

This moron wants us to raise our taxes for this purpose?? Anyone else here thinking disembowelment? :eyebrow:
U.N. official slams U.S. as 'stingy' over aid

By Bill Sammon
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Bush administration yesterday pledged $15 million to Asian nations hit by a tsunami that has killed more than 22,500 people, although the United Nations' humanitarian-aid chief called the donation "stingy."

"The United States, at the president's direction, will be a leading partner in one of the most significant relief, rescue and recovery challenges that the world has ever known," said White House deputy press secretary Trent Duffy.

But U.N. Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Jan Egeland suggested that the United States and other Western nations were being "stingy" with relief funds, saying there would be more available if taxes were raised.

"It is beyond me why are we so stingy, really," the Norwegian-born U.N. official told reporters. "Christmastime should remind many Western countries at least, [of] how rich we have become."

"There are several donors who are less generous than before in a growing world economy," he said, adding that politicians in the United States and Europe "believe that they are really burdening the taxpayers too much, and the taxpayers want to give less. It's not true. They want to give more."

Click here for rest of story.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
abooja said:
This moron wants us to raise our taxes for this purpose?? Anyone else here thinking disembowelment? :eyebrow:

I notice a couple things right off...

1. He never mentioned his home country
2. He tries to invoke the 'Christmas Spirit'.

That means that he's a hypocrite. I also don't see him giving up part of his wages, which I'm sure are quite a bit larger than mine...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
1. http://www.odin.dep.no/ud/engelsk/aktuelt/pressem/032171-070394/dok-bn.html

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=+1]50,000,000.00 NOK [/size][size=-1]Norway Kroner [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=+3]=[/size][/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=+1]8,233,156.57 USD [/size][size=-1]United States Dollars [/size][/font]

Not bad for a tiny little place.

I think we could all do a little better on this. I'm disappointed in Canada's contribution here. http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1104182657868_18?hub=Canada

Gato_Solo

Leslie said:
1. http://www.odin.dep.no/ud/engelsk/aktuelt/pressem/032171-070394/dok-bn.html

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=+1]50,000,000.00 NOK [/size][size=-1]Norway Kroner [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=+3]=[/size][/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=+1]8,233,156.57 USD [/size][size=-1]United States Dollars [/size][/font]

Not bad for a tiny little place.

I think we could all do a little better on this. I'm disappointed in Canada's contribution here. http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1104182657868_18?hub=Canada

1. While it's nice to donate (note the word donate), it's not required. That moron suggested raising taxes, when we're already spending at an incredible rate trying to pacify Iraq.
2. The US is giving 15 million, and is prepared to give 25 million more. After this, though, I don't think we should give anything.
3. Indonesia is anti-US, anyway. Let their Islamic friends bail them out...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
We need to pay our national debt first. So I say, be happy with whatever we send you. I ain't seen no tremendous outpouring of monetary aid to help clean up the September 11 disaster. All I see is a bunch of hands stuck out waiting to be filled. Want more help? Send some folks to Iraq and help us out there; then we'll talk.

Disembowelment...nice touch.

And to the comment about letting their Islamic friends bail them out---harumph and huzzah. I for one am about sick of all the anti-American sentiment sweeping through these places, then they want a handout from the Evil Empire.

As to raising our taxes to help them out...no f'ing way. Get over it, pal.

Gato_Solo

Leslie said:
There's them good ole Christian values we know yas for.

That's nice, coming from someone who stated, not too long ago, that the US should mind it's own business, and not give money to anybody anymore...Don't make me find the quote, Leslie...;)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I said, if the US feels that way, it should stop. Either keep it up and smile and shut the fuck up, or stop and shut the fuck up.

My comment here in this thread was specifically to the christianly charitable opinions presented here.

There are people millions of people right now digging in mud through bodies looking for food and water, and/or their families. Tisn't the time for petty.

Gato_Solo

Leslie said:
I said, if the US feels that way, it should stop. Either keep it up and smile and shut the fuck up, or stop and shut the fuck up.

My comment here in this thread is specifically to the christianly charitable opinions presented here.

There are people millions of people right now digging in mud through bodies looking for food and water, and/or their families. Tisn't the time for petty.

Tsk, tsk. Of all people here, you should know better. :winkkiss: How many times have you complained that the US should not be involved in world affairs, and now you try to make it seem like we're remiss for 'not doing enough'.

Leslie said:
you should be held responsible for what you're already fucked up, and then withdraw and be done with it. if those are the only choices, the harmful manipulation or nothing, I go with nothing.

Since we were involved in Indonesia for quite some time, to the point of, how you would put it, 'harmful manipulation', I think I'll go by your statement, and do nothing. Have a nice day. :p

Whoopsie. We didn't do anything, so I guess Indonesia should be doubly fucked, right?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
and now you try to make it seem like we're remiss for 'not doing enough'.
where? when I said we could all do a little better? We all could.

as to the rest of your post....and? waddever. :rolleyes:

I'll leave yas to your oh poor us noone loves us now.

unclehobart

You also have to take into account how much esoteric monies are going into stuff like transport, facilitation, communication, and deomestic red cross output that if fully outside of such donations. Were probably going to be quietly footing well over 100 million.

abooja

Plus, everyone seems to be forgetting the fact that this $15 mil chumpchange is just the first of many millions of American taxpayer dollars that will be funneled to those in need.

I almost agree with those who say we shouldn't bother after this, that we should give 'em a real reason to bitch. But not quite.

unclehobart

Powell has responded:

“We’ll make an assessment as the days go by, to see what more is needed of us,” he said. “It will take us awhile to make a careful assessment of what is needed ... to see what the specific needs are and then we will respond to those needs.”

In an interview on NBC“s “Today” show Tuesday, Powell said that “clearly, the United States will be a major contributor to this international effort. And, yes, it will run into the billions of dollars.”

Thats billions with a B, my friends. Piggybank to the world, thank you very much.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6762079/

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Leslie said:
There's them good ole Christian values we know yas for.

Christian, yes.

Sucker, no.

There is a difference. Jesus Himself has been known to clear Him out a temple from time to time.

abooja

U.N. Dork Crawfishes

UN Official Backs Down: Rich Nations Not 'Stingy'
Tue Dec 28, 2004 02:05 PM ET

By Irwin Arieff

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The international response to a catastrophic tsunami in Asia has been quick and generous, a senior U.N. official said on Tuesday, playing down his earlier comments that wealthy nations were stingy.

U.N. Emergency Relief Coordinator Jan Egeland rowed back from statements he made on Monday after an annoyed Secretary of State Colin Powell said Washington was "the greatest contributor to international relief efforts in the world."

"The United States is not stingy," Powell told CNN's "American Morning" program.

Egeland, a Norwegian, pleaded at a Monday news conference for individuals and governments around the world to respond generously to the humanitarian disaster created by the tsunami that struck a broad swath of southern Asia on Sunday.

Asked about the response of rich nations to such crises, he said: "It is beyond me why are we so stingy, really."

"If actually the foreign assistance of many countries now is 0.1 or 0.2 percent of their gross national income, I think that is stingy really. I don't think that is very generous," he said.

The United Nations urged rich nations a quarter of a century ago to give away 0.7 percent of their gross domestic product every year in the form of development aid.

To date, however, just a handful of European nations, most of them in Scandinavia, actually meet that goal.

The United States, the world's largest economy, contributes about 0.13 a year of its GDP to development aid. But that figure excludes aid to Iraq and Afghanistan as well as food aid, where the United States is the world's largest donor.

"We are busting our butts to help and comments like that don't reflect what we are doing," said a State Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Egeland told reporters on Tuesday: "I've been misinterpreted when I yesterday said that I believed that rich countries in general can be more generous."

"It has nothing to do with any particular country or the response to this emergency. We are in early days and the response has so far been overwhelmingly positive," he said.

"The international assistance that has come and been pledged from the United States, from Europe and from countries in the region has also been very generous," Egeland added.

Countries have contributed or pledged tens of millions of dollars in the first few days after the disaster.

The United States provided an initial $15 million mostly channeled through the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, plus logistical support for aid efforts. On Tuesday, the U.S. Agency for International Development added $20 million for the earthquake relief, a White House spokesman said.