This makes me...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
super-walmart wishings aside, mostly i'm talking about the canned and boxed goods. for a lot of people, getting more food for your dollar is really important. these days, i can't believe how much a box of cereal or can of soup can cost. it's ridiculous. but at walmart, they seem to be more reasonably priced. and with it being so hard to earn a decent living sometimes, that means a lot. which is a lot of why walmart thrives. i have always said that walmart is a symptom of our population. if more of the people had more of the wealth, they might not find themselves needing to pinch those pennies at walmart.

I imagine you live in a bigger town than do I. Thus, I further imagine that you have access to "discount" supermarkets, like we do. Aldi, United Grocery, Sav-A-Lot, whatever it may be there. I've bought boxes of frog legs at UG because they were much cheaper than at my regular store (Food City). Sav-A-Lot regularly has fresh fish for 1/3 or more cheaper than FC. And the canned veggies, soups, etc and/or boxed dry goods like rice and crackers and cereal are cheaper there too. And they're cheaper than at Stupor WalMart as well. Plus you can go in, shop, and pay in the time it takes you to park and enter a Stupor WalMart, because there aren't 713 SUVs navigating the 81 acre parking lot looking to save 14 feet of walking distance.

Still, I'll pay the extra $3.18 a week on groceries not to have to deal with the throngs at WM, and for the sheer pleasure of depriving the Waltons out of that $3.18. I'm evil that way. I probably save that much in gas and time alone by NOT venturing into WM. Plus, nobody hugs me at Food City. :rofl2:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Aldi, Sav-A-Lot

Second tier goods. Not as tasty, bent cans sales, off brand. I've yet to get anything tat either of those stores that was comparable to a major retailer store brand.

Beats starving but so does Wal MArt.

2minkey

bootlicker
yep. and you can notice a big difference in small-batch italian pasta that's $11/box instead of the $3 national brand stuff that's made in new jersey. same with everything. even that $35/pound cheese you're convinced is a commie plot! :rofl:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Second tier goods. Not as tasty, bent cans sales, off brand. I've yet to get anything tat either of those stores that was comparable to a major retailer store brand.

Beats starving but so does Wal MArt.

I've survived on worse. To this day I refuse to even consider eating Ramen noodles.

Ash's comments were about cost, and being able to eat. Period. I've been there. Once you can afford Fruity Pebbles, other factors come into play. When you can't afford Fruity Pebbles, you eat what you can afford. Didn't kill me..

BlurOfSerenity

we have a food lion, and they're really cheap, but their meat selection isn't very good or of much quality (at least at our food lion). we end up having to go somewhere else for our meats... even our lunch meats.
we ourselves do typically go to food lion when we're tight on cash.
it would be neat if there was a place that had a good selection of everything, decent quality, good price, that was a good place to work at and shop at. but, i can think very idealistically about things sometimes!

BlurOfSerenity

and i think you can eat more interesting and varied things if you get your food at walmart... like the fruity pebbles. they're not a necessary item, but i feel really cheerful when i get to eat a big bowl of rainbow for breakfast :)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
we have a food lion, and they're really cheap, but their meat selection isn't very good or of much quality (at least at our food lion). we end up having to go somewhere else for our meats... even our lunch meats.
we ourselves do typically go to food lion when we're tight on cash.
it would be neat if there was a place that had a good selection of everything, decent quality, good price, that was a good place to work at and shop at. but, i can think very idealistically about things sometimes!

I stopped buying meat at Food Lion several years ago when a huge batch of tainted meat damn near killed a bunch of people. It ruined their rep so bad several went out of business.

I know, it could have happened anywhere. But you see, it didn't.