This makes me...

jimpeel

The thing that Walmart does to cashiers that I was trying to coax out of you is the fact that schedules are never set and stay, barring the possibility to hold two jobs, at least all the stores here in Washington do. I am pretty sure it's true of Walmart policy everywhere, but it's one of the worst things you can do to an employee IMHO. Pay a low wage and make sure they can't supplement their income with another traditional job. Plus, days off are usually in flux. Walmart pays a low wage, there is no denying that. The benefit packages are a great start, and prove Walmart is beginning to understand the value of keeping employees happy, but all in all, it's not a friendly place to work on a corporate level. Individual stores do vary a lot though I hear.

In our state there is a class action suit that all employees will benefit from if they don't opt out. It's for forcing unpaid overtime. Jody's store is a damn good one as Walmart goes, and was not guilty of the offense. While she is barely eeking out an existence, she opted out. Partially out of (a somewhat reasonable) fear of retaliation. I know that it's highly unlikely, but in her position she can't afford to gamble. I am proud of her though because the primary reason she opted out is because it was the right thing to do.

But anyway, thats some of why I don't buy you singing Walmarts praises. Depending on the store experience may vary. But the bottom line is that are not even average as far as employers go. On a 1-10 scale from what I know, I'd rate them a four.

When I started out I had that fucked up flexible schedule. About 5 months ago I went to my manager and asked if I could have steady hours. She narrowed my availability to 10am to 7pm and that worked. I had been on any hours prior to that so I would find myself working anywhere from 6am to 11pm. That sucked.

Have her try asking for a set schedule. My manager said that there is a thing about your time at the store that goes with that. Since I have been there since the store opened it worked. The really fucked thing about Wal-Mart is that a computer makes the schedules based on availability. The manager can tweak the schedule but has guidelines within she must stay.

It seems that there is this rule that Wal-Mart has about filling time blocks. There are blocks of time which are issued that she can fill but she has to FILL that time block.

Example:

She has a block from 10a-7p. That is an 8 hour shift with an hour lunch.

If she wants to fill that block she has to assign someone to the full 8 hour shift. She cannot assign a part timer to 10a to 2:30p -- with a half hour lunch -- and another part timer from 2:30p - 7p. If she did that, she would get dinged on her performance. :shrug:

jimpeel

By the way, Wal-Mart got sued big time for having people work off the clock. It is now the standing CORPORATE policy that ALL work performed MUST be clocked and paid. The training films (CBLs) we have to watch when we are hired cover this in no uncertain detail. IF YOU WORK OFF THE CLOCK YOU MUST TAKE A TIME ADJUSTMENT FOR THAT TIME -- NO EXCEPTIONS. If you violate that poloicy you can be fired no ifs ands or buts.

I do time adjusts if a customer catches me and asks me a question. I halp the customer, keep track of, or estimate the time, and I do a time adjustment. Even if the adjustment is 2 minutes I have to do the adjustment!

If her manager is making her work off the clock they can be fired for doing so. Tell her to have him go on the WIRE and take the CBL about working off the clock.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/id2/wal-mart/not_paid.htm

Two years ago, Wal-Mart paid $50 million to settle a class-action suit that asserted that 69,000 current and former Wal-Mart employees in Colorado had worked off the clock.

That was written in 2002 and that was JUST Colorado.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Ya know, I see a lot of questioning of a man whose got a job he apparently likes. It's an honest days pay for an honest days work. I despise office politics, thus I don't work in an office. Trucking is definately a step down but I'm happy doing it.

Not everyone has the motivation or desire to be the next Warren Buffet. Personally, I'm happy paying my bills & having time to pursue leisure time.

markjs

Banned
Interesting 'peel and I do believe you. But I also know you wouldn't have bothered explaining if you could not see why I was skeptical. I am glad you are happy, and I hope it continues, or you move on to better. Jody has a mostly set schedule. She'd like a fully set schedule but her store just won't do that. The Management is in flux and every time there is a new one who schedules for her department that person thinks they have better ideas.

What makes me mad is that Jody is an INCREDIBLY skilled career waitress. She can make many time what she does at Walmart on half the hours. Problem is she's hit her fifties and she is convinced that she can never get another good waiting job. She is bright and the hardest damn worker this side of me, and apparently you 'peel. The only asset she believes she has is hard work. She doesn't see her talents or possibilities, and I cant make her see them. I can see her situation objectively and it is only her that limits herself. There are restaurants in town she could kick ass at, who'd hire her in a heartbeat once they knew her talent and ability to stay loyal and not just move job to job. She seems to be convinced that after fifty if you don't have a professional capacity somewhere, it's off to Walmart and then the nursing home and it KILLS me. I wish I could take care of her but for reasons that are nobodies business and the ones that I have talked about it at this time I can't.

You see Jody is an unrecovered Alcoholic. She doesn't drink and isn't getting sicker and watching her life swirl down the toilet, but she is stuck in the place she arrived to when she quit drinking. Alcoholism and addiction are diseases, and the using/drinking are but symptoms. Cessation of the drink/drug, leaves a mentally and emotionally (and I feel) spiritually sick individual. It's sad, but I can't sell recovery. I couldn't pay her to do recovery. I can clearly see she needs it, but that's not the 12 step way. It's not for those who need it, it's only for those who want it. Preaching only creates resistance, and she is far to precious to me for that. I hold hope, not much, but you always hold hope for loved ones.

To give you an idea of what kind of employee this woman is, she worked on and off (mostly on) at one location in Port Townsend for over twenty years. It was under many owners, and for a long time it was a major franchise restaurant (yes corporate). Every time it'd change hands all the old employees and menus would go but Jody would remain. She is the consummate restaurant professional. But when that location got condemned for being built on an aging peer, Jody's brilliant career died forever, because only of limits she misperceives about the Job market, and her old school attitude, and inability to adapt to the times.

The worst part is she is someone who could do anything she put her mind to, but has never had any idea that she is....

and BTW Gonz, I got a kiss for ya! Wait for it....

:finger: :moon: :finger:

markjs

Banned
Oh and one more thing 'peel. Walmart is like anything a work in progress. From what I see they are getting better, but what sucks about that is it's usually because of sanctions and lawsuits that would be illegal if my *ahem* political party (well no but the side I favor more anyway) had no influence. Think hard about that because it's a dead, "cold, hard" fact!

jimpeel

I am sorry that she has such low esteem. I am 60 and I still think I can do anything.

Everyone at Wal-Mart thinks I am much younger because I don't act my age. I am always clowning around and trying to get a smile out of anyone I can. Smiles are good.

I also have a Frequent Huggers Club but they have been in the doldrums lately because I have been sick and I won't hug anyone.

Inkara1

I didn't see mentioned anywhere that the register system will attempt to lock out cashiers after 4.5 hours and WILL lock them out at 4.75 hours. Maybe it's California Wal-Marts only, but it's something done as a corporate policy to prevent people getting too many hours before their lunch periods, which would be illegal.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I also have a Frequent Huggers Club but they have been in the doldrums lately because I have been sick and I won't hug anyone.

I ain't gotta worry about this because I'll be found dead long before I enter a WalMart. But if that event were to ever take place and some store employee went to lay a hand on me, he/she would either draw back a bloody nub or hear from my lawyer. I don't go to retail outlets for the purpose of allowing unknown strangers to hug me. If one tried, I'd slap the shit out of them, then slap them for shitting.

markjs

Banned
I ain't gotta worry about this because I'll be found dead long before I enter a WalMart. But if that event were to ever take place and some store employee went to lay a hand on me, he/she would either draw back a bloody nub or hear from my lawyer. I don't go to retail outlets for the purpose of allowing unknown strangers to hug me. If one tried, I'd slap the shit out of them, then slap them for shitting.

A great depiction of the type of person you really are SnP, thanks for the honesty! Future generations will likely be more evolved thank god!

:grinno:

markjs

Banned
If some random stranger tried to hug me I wouldn't like it either, but beating their ass or suing them would not be the direction I'd go either, unless they called me "chief", on top of the hug. Then a shallow grave deep in these woods I know would definitely be a possibility!

:grinyes:

2minkey

bootlicker
hugs are for sissies.

and i'm sick hearing about how walmart is some huggy pants-shitting freakfest. and i really wish i could comment further.

chcr

Too cute for words
hugs are for sissies.

and i'm sick hearing about how walmart is some huggy pants-shitting freakfest. and i really wish i could comment further.
Well now, if it's a nubile young woman that wants to be the hugger (or in fact the huggee) I'd be happy to oblige. OTOH, a random strange dude at Wal-Mart? Back off motherfucker, I think I can save your life.

Re the touchy-feely version of Wal-Mart, I couldn't say. Those folks are well beneath me.

markjs

Banned
Hugging is to be applauded, it doesn't mean I am comfortable with it, but doesn't anybody else desire a better world? I admire 'peel's ability to hug strangers if that is indeed what he does, and I'd be willing to bet he knows who not to try it on, and I say all this in all seriousness.

But who am I anyway? I'll tell you one thing, as much as I argue with some of you I like it when I agree a lot more, and even if it's SnP, Gonz, 'peel, or fill in the _____. I am not bothered at all by publicly agreeing. The sad part of this world is the fact that people are so eager to look at differences and enjoy disagreeing so much. We ALL are a LOT more alike than different.

2minkey

bootlicker
Well now, if it's a nubile young woman that wants to be the hugger (or in fact the huggee) I'd be happy to oblige.

yeh as long as you can work some kind of fondling into that, sounds fine!

(and hey, in that situation, it's cool if you're the fondler or the fondlee...)

ResearchMonkey

This thread I find confusing and disturbing.

Maybe its the local demographics, but we only have 'greeters' not 'huggers'.

Ain't NEVER been approached for a hug by an employee of x-mart, neither has my wife when I;ve been with her.

I did however laugh my ass off at the Costco greeter in the movie 'Idiocracy' - - "Welcome to Costco, I love you"