I gotta say...

jimpeel

I can only remember one time before now that pirates have faced any sort of repercussions for the piracy. For anyone considering piracy in that area, they would consider that they've never had a dollar in their lives, there's almost no risk of getting caught, and there's the reward of the Koreans or someone paying the $2 million ransom, which these guys split among a few friends and use to live like kings for the rest of their lives. The risk-reward analysis makes it a no-brainer.

Reinstate the Monroe Doctrine.

MrBishop

ass_hats.jpg
Damn...took a double-take. He looks exactly like Archie Bunker!
archie_bunker.bmp

talks the same shit too ;)

valkyrie

Isn't his son gay?
Rush Limbaugh is gay? Well... I always suspected he was in the closet. He seems so unhappy and turning into a junkie to kill the pain of hiding his true self was a total neon sign: "LOOK AT ME, I LOVE TO HAVE SEX WITH MEN" Now that he's been outed, maybe he'll stop being so misogynistic and accept who he is.

jimpeel

That would be idiotic and have no effect on piracy. Good thinking.

This doesn't involve European nations trying to control areas within or near the continental USA...perhaps you were thinking of the original laws concerning hostis humani generis

Ummmm... sorry... not following you here.

Maybe this will help you out...
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/time/jd/16321.htm

Yeah, I muffed that one. I was thinking that the Barbary Pirates were included in that but got caught thinkin' again. Sorry.

jimpeel

It does seem that the Dutch are doing better than us on this. Too bad they are going to have to cut the pirates loose.

SOURCE

Dutch capture suspected pirates off Somali coast

* April 19, 2009
* Page 1 of 2 | Single Page View

The Dutch navy captured seven suspected Somali pirates and freed 20 captives in the strategic Gulf of Aden shipping lane on Saturday, Dutch and NATO authorities said.

"This morning we intercepted a request for assistance from a Greek-owned ship from the Marshall Islands, the Handytankers Magic, that had fallen victim to a pirate attack," Liuetenant Commander Alexandre Fernandes told AFP from aboard the Portuguese frigate Corte Real, which is under the NATO flag.

"We immediately dispatched a Dutch NATO ship," which found a fishing vessel at the scene with seven suspected pirates and 20 hostages on board.

"The suspected pirates were identified and disarmed. The 20 captives were released."

Dutch defence ministry spokesman Otto Beeksma said Dutch marines had boarded a fishing vessel suspected of having been taken over by Somali pirates in an operation that started shortly after noon, Dutch time.

He could not confirm that arrests had been carried out or captives freed, saying "the ship is still being investigated".

Fernandes told Sky News television the 20 fishermen were Yemeni.

But he said the captured pirates would have to be freed.

"NATO does not have a detain policy, a national policy will apply and under these circumstances, the Dutch law cannot prosecute," he said.

[more]