I gotta say...

chcr

Too cute for words
...that the silence around here regarding the whole Somali pirate/ Maersk Alabama business is nigh well deafening. I guess you've been too busy addressing important considerations like Michelle Obama's makeup, huh?

2minkey

bootlicker
yeah, it was all a bunch of imaginary bullshit about "obama the coward."

i say, we take thems bitchez out. macho american style. with bombs and shit.

MrBishop

Ahh missed it. I'm ignoring so many of these ****s anymore it's hard to follow some of the threads. My apologies to the ****s.
s'alright... I posted a new thread for us to play with...hopefully free of ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome) commentary.

Maybe..actual discourse of what might need to happen to dissuade piracy around Somalia. :shrug:

chcr

Too cute for words
s'alright... I posted a new thread for us to play with...hopefully free of ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome) commentary.

Maybe..actual discourse of what might need to happen to dissuade piracy around Somalia. :shrug:

I fear you have posted it an the wrong board for any hope of that.

MrBishop

Hell...Thailand's little violent protest slipped completely off the radar on here. It didn't involve Obama in any way, nor the USA..so I suppose that it wasn't newsworthy. :shrug:

One of the things that drives me nuts about OTC sometimes... nit-picking and micro-management about the most tedious of details re: internal politics or anythign remotelty related to it, followed by SFA about larger events.

NK's failed launch of a 'satellite' - barely a burp
Thailand - nada
Castro and the blockade negotiations - nada
Cloned camels in Dubai - nada
Sri Lankan/Tamil Tigers mess - nada

Inkara1

I can only remember one time before now that pirates have faced any sort of repercussions for the piracy. For anyone considering piracy in that area, they would consider that they've never had a dollar in their lives, there's almost no risk of getting caught, and there's the reward of the Koreans or someone paying the $2 million ransom, which these guys split among a few friends and use to live like kings for the rest of their lives. The risk-reward analysis makes it a no-brainer.

catocom

it's like the market, in that we don't know what's next....
is obama gonna send in some troops, get them killed, take out the problem...???

We're in a holding pattern

valkyrie

The risk has been small to the Somali pirates. There hasn't been a lot of press on it until lately (at least not here). No press, no heat. No heat, no government action. It's the same everywhere, so I'm not talking about just the US.

There are more nations sending their navies to protect merchant ships lately. This has been good. There will be some escalation, true, but I believe that once the Somali citizens see that piracy really is a risky business they'll turn away from it. The pirates won't be rich heroes anymore.

Germany and France have sent ships, so has the US. I don't know about other countries, maybe someone else does.

Just posted this in another thread... it has good pics...
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/03/pirates_of_somalia.html

Also... as for the threads here... it's gotten tiresome. All I see are anti-Obama threads started by certain people. Seriously... it's a bore, and it makes the Right Wingers look desperate, feeble and unintelligent lashing out at any scrap of news to twist. So sad that they have nothing of importance to say or add... just the same old song, over and over. :yawn:

Cerise

Also... as for the threads here... it's gotten tiresome. All I see are anti-Obama threads started by certain people. Seriously... it's a bore, and it makes the Right Wingers look desperate, feeble and unintelligent lashing out at any scrap of news to twist. So sad that they have nothing of importance to say or add... just the same old song, over and over. :yawn:

Does that mean you won't be jumping in with both feet anymore like you have been? :crying4:

Professur

Diaper rash, hugs, jammy toast kisses, and a whole slew of teary firsts ... brought to you by those who saw more than a scientific experiment.

spike

Diaper rash, hugs, jammy toast kisses, and a whole slew of teary firsts ... brought to you by those who saw more than a scientific experiment.

Hah! Yeah, the scientists were killing babies for experiments. :rofl3:

MrBishop said:
IPS - Induced Pluripotent Stem cells - brought to you by the people who studied embryonic stem-cells.

Amazing breakthrough that. :thumbup: