Drywall installation

Jeslek

Banned
I also have two cables for TV coming in here, one for cable TV (free with cable internet) & internet, and one for satellite.

[attachment]201850[/attachment]

Professur

If one of my cablers did a job like that, I'd have him fired within the day.;) Be careful bundling your cables with tiewraps like that. Cinch them a little too tight and you get cable crosstalk. Pros would only use a little electric tape. Do you have a patchpanel for the rack?

I'm guessing you're using DVO wallplates. Do you have a tool, or are you using the old standby (a straight blade screwdriver)?

Jeslek

Banned
I have a tool. And yes, I have a patchpanel too. All I need to find is a cheap Nortel PBX now.

And the cables are not done yet. The first picture is a rather old one. The second one is more updated. The reason the wires go like that is because they have to terminate there, and one of them are in use right now and can't be cut off just yet. ;)

Professur

I'll expect photos of the completed setup, for final exams. How much did you pay for the box of BDN?

Jeslek

Banned
*scratch* I don't remember, I got that a really, really long time ago, like 2 years ago.

BTW, if you ever need to mark the spot where those box thingies need to go through the drywall, put lipstick on the edges and press the drywall against it. Then cut out the hole and put the drywall in. :D

Professur

I don't use boxes for low voltage. You can get an insert that bends and hooks into the board, forming a frame for the plate. That way, you can place them wherever you want, well away from the studs if you want.

Professur

Saves a lot of money too. And you can get modular plates that let you gang up phone, data, and coax on one. Seimons has some nice stock for that. But they use 110 instead of Nortel's BIX connection, which would mean another tool.

Mirlyn

There's no problem with wifi. :evilgrin:

Just don't put it inside your firewall or use open transmission. Best Buy learned that the hard way.

Mirlyn

Professur said:
Says the resident wardriver.

Yeah. Nothin beats heading down the highway outside of the city and watching packet dumps from the wide-open local wifi isp. Would you believe the people in an amish town northwest of here look at teenie galleries?

Its just sad, the insensitivity and ignorance. I'd boycott Fashion Bug if you shop there, unless privacy isn't in your vocabulary.

greenfreak

Mirlyn said:
I'd boycott Fashion Bug if you shop there, unless privacy isn't in your vocabulary.

Don't even get me started on Fashion Bug! I walked in there one day and found out that this girl I knew worked there. She was trying to get people to sign up for the store credit card for some contest they were doing. So she helped me sign up at the register. I never got any paperwork about it or anything and I thought I had probably been declined because my credit wasn't that good. (I was 19 at the time and knew nothing about credit)

A few weeks later I get the card in the mail and a bill for $20. for a fee. I made the mistake of not paying it and not cancelling the card right away and the next month I got a bill for $40.--for the original $20. plus a late fee.

I started to fight it but being as naive as I was, I didn't get anything in writing. At the end, I was put into collection and just paid them the $100. and they put it through as a charge off. That freakin $100. charge off has plagued my credit report for years since. All because of this girl who I didn't even like and my own stupidity. :grumpy:

Mirlyn

greenfreak said:
Mirlyn said:
I'd boycott Fashion Bug if you shop there, unless privacy isn't in your vocabulary.

Don't even get me started on Fashion Bug!

Yeah, I picked up some interesting netbios (of all things) packets from them just by driving on a nearby highway. The packets contained names, SSNs, addresses, dates (birth and card expiration, I think (they were past and future)), phone numbers, and 16/18 digit numbers. Dumps of three to four sets every other minute--in complete and udder plaintext. :eek: