Drywall installation

Jeslek

Banned
Gonz said:
It should be called Joint Compound. (commonly referred to as "mud"...drywall cement may be the same thing
It is... It is the stuff you paint on the drywall after you screwed it into the aluminum studs. It is also used to even out the drywall level and to join the individual pieces together smoothly.

install:
2 : to establish in an indicated place, condition, or status

We always say install. ?( Install is hardly an IT term. Even the website choochoo linked too used the term "install:" How to Install Drywall

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Jeslek said:
after you screwed it into the aluminum studs.

NOw I know you're full of shit. Drywall mud goes on drywall after it's hung on wood 2x4's, using drywall scrws...what's this aluminum crap? ;)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
That's cool, we've started using aluminum or steel studs here in alot of commercial stuff, but for most homes, it's still the old precut studs. Only drawback I've seen to the steel studs is the way they can cut the shit out of you.

75renegade

I recommend 5/8" thickness. Forget the extra $12.00/ sheet. Remember, pay now or later, an' find the 4' or better yet, 5' x 12' sheets, providin' ya can get 'em into yer basement! Much less mud an' sweat, after ya get done with the pain of restin' 'em on yer heads!!

Steel studs definately show a "mature" perspective, speakin' from a social stand point.

At any rate, the more screws/nails, the NOT-better...........

(IMHO) try to minimize excessive screw tendancies. Secure the perimeters, then a FEW centrally located points, then force yerself to jus' refrain, back off!

Unless yer a big fan of muddin' screw-pops.......

Take yer time, use lots of halogen lighting, an' a larger than 8" blade for the final finishin' of the joints......:D :)

ris

we use alu studs here, i've just done some drawings for that. 70mm alu studs, 2 layers 10-12mm plasterboard and a 5 of plaster and skim.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You paint on this dry wall cement? Woudln't it then be PAINT?

I am sorry, I do not know whay I am so disagreeable lately....:p

Janimal

We calls it drywall mud around these parts. As mentioned, the drywall itself can be attached to either wood or metal studs.

Joints are taped, bedded and skimmed. Nails or screws are spotted. The lengths you go to in finishing depend on what you want to do with it later. You want things to be nice an smooth if you are going to paint. Otherwise, your paint job will look funky (ever notice the joints underneath the paint?). Note that drywall mud absorbs paint differently than the drywall itself. If you are going to texture, the job doesn't have to be quite as good, although you can still tell a bad job sometimes.

Think about getting someone to help with the hanging - those boards are heavy.

That's my $.02 for what it's worth.

Jeslek

Banned
Janimal said:
Think about getting someone to help with the hanging - those boards are heavy.
No kidding. Carrying 14 boards from the garage to the basement in pairs ain't fun. Thanks for the tips.

chcr

Too cute for words
Janimal said:
Note that drywall mud absorbs paint differently than the drywall itself.
I forgot about that. Primer before you paint, you'll thank yourself later.:headbang:

Jeslek

Banned
Professur said:
Wiring up your lan too, I see. Need a rack? I've a small wall mount laying about collecting dust.
Oo, I have got a server rack I picked up at the junkyard, but thank you very much for that offer. :kiss: