Drywall installation

Jeslek

Banned
Does anyone here have any experience installing drywall? What to do and what not to do? More specifically, how many layers of cement did you apply?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Until it's smooth. Usually three, but amateurs sometimes take 5 or 6 til it's good. Not really that hard, butt the seams together, screw it in. The hard part is making it look good when it's painted.

MrBishop

I tape up the edges and then paste over, sand and paste again. Usually enough...make sure that you vacuum your wall before you paint (Yes, you heard me right...vacuum your wall)...using a moist cloth doesn't cut it to remove drywall dust, and unless it's off...your paint will peel. Good luck!

BTW...#1 advice...measure twice, cut once
#2 - leave about 1/2 inch on the bottom...don't let it touch the floor. You'll need the room for expansion and floor/carpet etc...
#3 - do it sloooooooowwwwwwwlllllyyyyy, and carefully.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
If your label says cement then you got problems...

*pictures drywall being held togetehr by cement*
:laugh5:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
yeah, I bet it's not the same thing. Sounds like something you would use to like hold the drywall up...all you need to plaster to cover the joins and stuff...plaster and drywall tape...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
yes, i know MOST people use screws to hold drywall up but you guys have to admit "drywall cement" doesn't reallyl end itself to being the same thing as "plaster"

ris

drywall cement sounds like plaster to me. but then dry wall is plasterboard here i think :)

i've seen it whacked up to a timber stuf wall with plasterbaord nails [big wide-headed ones that are unlikely to be punched through by the board]. tape the edges and 2 coats of plaster and skim [thin plaster mix for a smooth finish]. we normally spec 5mm of plaster and skim overall i think to 10-12mm plasterboard.

chcr

Too cute for words
Is it at least a pint of white paste in a plastic container with a resealable lid?

Note that in the olden days, we all called it "spackle."

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It should be called Joint Compound. (commonly referred to as "mud"...drywall cement may be the same thing :shrug:

ris

i like that jeslek is going to 'install' his drywall. we tend to build or construct ours :D