Can a liberal and a conservative be friends?

markjs

Banned
Well it's not worth further argument. I did what I did and said what I said and I'll stand behind it. I still feel I was within my right to do so.

I defend my ideals every time I enter into debate here.

Research Monkey: I respect your opinions and my fight is not with you. If you defend Winky then so be it.

Winky I aint your buddy so don't call me that. I don't respect you or your opinions. The next step is to simply ignore you. Ignore meaning, I'll read what you post but there is no reason for me to respond to it. Kind of takes all your power away don't it?

There is nothing more to say.

Winky

A liberal and a commie there's no difference

Ok
Buddy!!!
thefinger.gif

ResearchMonkey

markjs said:
There is nothing more to say.

That is your opinion. I have made several points to show major flaws in your hypocritical logic.

'Id' or Ego-defense ignorance is bliss, and always makes it easier to look in the mirror.

'owned'

Oz

markjs said:
The next step is to simply ignore you. Ignore meaning, I'll read what you post but there is no reason for me to respond to it. Kind of takes all your power away don't it?

That's what we did last time these two wankers went on a posting spree. they've been lurking around ever since looking for a fight (seems nobody will engage them is discussion at their old board).

Is it possible for two people of opposing political beliefs to be friends? Of course it is.....the sum of a person isn't their politcal beliefs, go ask any politician.

Hope that was amusing enough for ya Winky. I bet between you and your lil' fella you can empty a bar within' ten mins of ordering your first beer :D

ResearchMonkey

Oz said:
That's what we did last time these two wankers went on a posting spree. they've been lurking around ever since looking for a fight (seems nobody will engage them is discussion at their old board).

Is it possible for two people of opposing political beliefs to be friends? Of course it is.....the sum of a person isn't their politcal beliefs, go ask any politician.

Hope that was amusing enough for ya Winky. I bet between you and your lil' fella you can empty a bar within' ten mins of ordering your first beer :D

Thats really funny OZ. I have been lurking for much longer than you know.

Had you noticed Winky and I have responded at oppisite ends of the spectum to this query by marrkjs you may not look quite so foolish. Your witty assumptions may sound good but don't hold water.

(Is this is where I show my "balls" and report your personal attack on me calling a wanker? - - per markjs )

BeardofPants

I gave you negative karma Winky, and I SIGNED it. So don't pretend that it was anonymous. I think that you and Research Monkey are nothing but trouble makers, and it's people like you two, who drive the good quality members away. I'm astounded that you both continue to get away with derogatory comments, and infantile personal attacks, but then again, I guess I shouldn't be. :shrug:

*BoP, who will be shortly adding Winky and ResearchMoron to her ignore list*

Oz

ResearchMonkey said:
Thats really funny OZ. I have been lurking for much longer than you know.

Had you noticed Winky and I have responded at oppisite ends of the spectum to this query by marrkjs you may not look quite so foolish. Your witty assumptions may sound good but don't hold water.

(Is this is where I show my "balls" and report your personal attack on me calling a wanker? - - per markjs )

Lurking? Yup, shame you needs your friends to hold your hand when you post. Or is it just the fact that folks who know you don't bother responding anymore (or is some cases, don't even bother posting at all) ?

I'm sorry monkey......but your political leanings have nothing to do with my opinion of you. I just think your an arsehole who'se posting style is deliberatly made to encourage people to leave the board. :shrug: I've seen this kind of posting a hundred times on a hundred different messageboards

Report my posts if you like :shrug: I don't use the AUP to disguise and excuse out and out insults.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
For the record
who evidently didn't see it as an attack.
is incorrect. I find it very offensive. I am the target of many such attacks & I ignore them. I also fire back with both barrels. Aiming solely at the lunacy, not the lunatic.

I do find it rather amazing that the members that support a more left leaning political approach holler "unfair", "unjust", "mean" and similar adjectives quite frequently. There will be not a single personal attack but their idea's will be under full scale assault & many decide it's too rough & want out. Yet, instead of leaving, they continue to banter, half-heartedly in most instances while PMing other members to complain. I receive few complaints since it takes an act of God for me to do something (I still follow the all's fair in love & war philosophy).

If somebody calls you an asshole, it'll end immediately. If somebody calls your idea's incomplete incompetent immoral idolatry or equate your favorite President to a nazi murderer, then expect a thorough trouncing-as long as you're not being called names. If somebody calls you a jack booted thug...get over it, that just means you're a NEOCON. :rolleyes:

Winky

<that just means you're a NEOCON>

Whoa there hold up I voted for Reagan in 1980 the first year I was old enough to vote (77) Hell dood I REMEMBER Carter!!!

there ain't nuthin' 'Neo' about me I was a solider in the
"Reagan revolution". I had my jack boots on while you were still in diapers.

I actually lament the reality that honest debate is not possible on any of these left\right issues. Few if any of the Left-wing comments are worthy of debate.
But how could anyone allow comments such as these to go by unmolested:

post linkage

"I am NOT a liberal--I am a fiscal conservative, but for social programs prefer the policies suggested by liberals as they are more attuned to the needs of society than the surety I see from the far right that those who are in dire straits are always somehow responsible for what is happening to them and deserve every bit of misery they face."

Not a liberal I will return to that using her own words and prove otherwise. Now let us examine further the quote.

"policies suggested by liberals as they are more attuned to the needs of society" While there are no policies specifically mentioned I believe I can point towards some of them later in the post. Not a Liberal then how can we justify the "the needs of society" Gee sounds hauntingly similar to: 'From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs.'
'Society' does not have needs. People have needs, wants and desires. It is not the responsibility of society or the government to fulfill YOUR wants needs nor your desires hence the comment: “the far right that those who are in dire straits are always somehow responsible for what is happening to them.”

And the kicker you might ask? well it is the rest of that thought!

"are always somehow responsible for what is happening to them"

Oh this is priceless! If they are not responsible then evidently YOU are!!!!

“and deserve every bit of misery they face”

Oh no no no due to their reckless careless negligent foolish behavior
they have an entitlement to an every increasing portion of your hard
earned income. Well this follows that you reward that which you want to
get more of, and punish that which you desire less of.
So by the liberal mode of operation you reward the slothful and to provide this
reward you punish the successful to accomplish your stated goal.

But wait there's MORE!
She goes on in great detail to basically use children as an excuse!!!
(a non-valid excuse because they are not my Kids)

"But many of the kids I work with don't have our advantages. Many are from neighborhoods where poverty is rampant. Many were born to teenage mothers,
who were encouraged to have the children and to keep them,
(by whom you might ask Yes of course the Liberal welfare system which pays by the head) but who never received encouragement to learn parenting skills and who receive no support from family and friends in raising their children ( I am somehow responsible? somehow to blame for this? I should be made to pay into eternity and beyond for this?) Many have been abused--critically abused--by family, by friends of family, by neighbors, and in some few cases by strangers. Many have been used by emotionally unstable parents as pawns to manipulate family and exes. Many are born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and other drug-related conditions going back to drug abuse before the child was born. Many have biochemical disorders that keep them from learning in a "normal" manner, or from behaving in a "normal" manner or demonstrating their learning in a "normal" manner.
Well That certainly sounds as if the parents are behaving in an irresponsibly manner
would you not agree?!?

Well that was fun now in the very next paragraph we are subjected to this bit of logic:
If we ( WE? whose We?) continue to deprive public schools of funding and insisting that all are equally bad (which is not true), we will set up a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yes they ARE equally bad and she proves just why they ARE all equally bad in the next sentence. But before that let's consider two things, first HUNDREDS of BILLIONS of dollars are poured down the gaping maw of the NEA every single year in this country, deprived I think not. Secondly the actual numbers that the State I live in, the amount they say they spend on one student for one year is real close to what I shelled out to private education. (between 5 to 9K per year) The quality of product I received is by far
superior to the lousy public education available in my district.

Public schools are equally bad for this among many other reasons but the main one is the concept of “lowest common denominator” Ya know the “grading on a curve” concept?

Back to our saga:

“Private schools can exclude anyone they want for any reason they want--public schools cannot.”

Yes Yes they indeed can and do! They also have the luxury of saying:
You will learn this curriculum and you will learn it at this level or you will not pass!

Back to our delusion:
“So, all the unwanted (s) will remain in the public schools, and again the teachers will be blamed for the "failure" of the public school system.”

OM F’in God!!!! I need a moment to get my head around this one!!!!
No student left behind?!? Teachers are not to blame, Gee we someone to blame if it’s not the teachers then perhaps the students their parents the ‘system’? Oh yes we’ve taken a wrong turn WAY back up thar in this post, Ya know the part about personal responsibility??? Once you’ve deluded yourself anything is possible!!!!!

Well I think you get the picture a feeling that I can analyze any of the left wing positions
viewing them through my jack booted colored glasses and make a point for my side.
It is funny that she made so many points for her side in such a short time.

I would simply ask the following simple questions:
Personal responsibility? Is it the teacher the student the school system or the parents of the students that are responsible for education?

If whom ever you finally deem to be responsible in this situation fails to respond with ability then where to you then begin to falsely attach the responsibility???

yes YOU my friend YOU are to blame it’s your fault not theirs.

Gee me Mommy told me that raising a Kid was a big ‘responsibility’ and that if I wasn’t prepared to properly discharge the responsibility then I should participate in making one.
I’ve only made ONE and in 13 months he will be eighteen and I’ve done my part.
(yes one marriage 23 years same wife she still keeps me around, Oh I know how odd)
Now if you tell me that millions of Americans have turned over the raising of their brats
to the government (it takes a village to raise a child lol) then come to me and attempt to assign part of that ‘responsibility” to me then I will say to you…

I want a DNA test cuz it ain’t my Damn KID!!!

Oh Well what’s the next conservative\commie debate ya wanna throw down on?

Oh I know I can take another snippet from this snippy Lib

surety

She is mad because us folks on the right have the audacity to believe that:

1 : the state of being sure: as a : sure knowledge : CERTAINTY
b : confidence in manner or behavior : ASSURANCE

yes I am an atheist but I’ve lived my life by Christian rules not because there is
a heaven nor a hell but because no rational being could think that they could violate
those basic concepts and prosper.

The left simply can not stand the idea that there is a right and a wrong.
They want you to see the gray areas and believe in moral relativism.
So that’s the next issue to consider.

Are morals relative or are they absolutes?

Quote time:

The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles.

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute."

"Altruism declares that any action taken for the benefit of others is good, and any action taken for one's own benefit is evil. Thus the beneficiary of an action is the only criterion of moral value – and so long as that beneficiary is anybody than oneself, anything goes."

There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Winky

Whoopee
I used the word responsibility 15 times in that post
and they still don't 'get it'.

ResearchMonkey

Oz said:
Lurking? Yup, shame you needs your friends to hold your hand when you post. Or is it just the fact that folks who know you don't bother responding anymore (or is some cases, don't even bother posting at all) ?

I'm sorry monkey......but your political leanings have nothing to do with my opinion of you. I just think your an arsehole who'se posting style is deliberatly made to encourage people to leave the board. :shrug: I've seen this kind of posting a hundred times on a hundred different messageboards

Report my posts if you like :shrug: I don't use the AUP to disguise and excuse out and out insults.

I think it is my style you fear. My intentions are not to drive people away, my intentions are to shed light on the dark inaccuracy's that I see. If that scares you its your its your own lack of tolerance and open-mindedness.

You have replied to me 3-4 times, each one was hateful and had nothing of substance other than for you to call me names and offer your opinion of me as if you had a clue.

I have a life, I don't ferry though hundreds of message board. I have four boards I post at if you include this one, I have 2 others I read sometimes.

BTW, I'm very hurt that you have called me an arsehole, I just don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight.

catocom

I have a few friends that are liberals.
I'm glad to see them come, and glad to see them go. :lol2:
I think it's actually harder for Liberals, and Conservatives to be friends,
than Dems., and Reps.
Half of my ext family are Dems., and the other half Reps. (more or less there are several like me that don't claim party)
I do consider myself a conservative, although it didn't showup that far right.
I even have some retarded friends. :brush:
I have a knack for seeing when a persons mind 'won't' be changed, and
don't waste my time with it any farther, and move on to something else.
When they spout and idea as fact, that's just wacko, It's time for me to leave
the table. I just can contended with nonsense, that is not in a humorous sense.

Oz

ResearchMonkey said:
I think it is my style you fear. My intentions are not to drive people away, my intentions are to shed light on the dark inaccuracy's that I see. If that scares you its your its your own lack of tolerance and open-mindedness.

Your probably right........that and the fact that you posted on these boards boasting that at one of your other boards anyone with an objective opinion to yourself no longer posted there.......take a look at this forum here, tis going exactly the same way....still, not my problem. When you are left with only folks who nod in agreement with you, and absolutely nothing left to discuss, I guess you'll be happy :)....he'll, I can count on one hand the number of opposing viewpoints made by regular posters here....so I guess you've almost "won" .

BTW, I'm very hurt that you have called me an arsehole, I just don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight.

Aw.......well, tis my birthday monkey.....so I'm feeling favourable to you....and I can fix it so that you never ever have to worry about my opinion of you again :)

*puts monkey on his ignore list*

There ya go! You no longer exist :)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gonz said:
For the record

is incorrect. I find it very offensive. I am the target of many such attacks & I ignore them. I also fire back with both barrels. Aiming solely at the lunacy, not the lunatic.

I do find it rather amazing that the members that support a more left leaning political approach holler "unfair", "unjust", "mean" and similar adjectives quite frequently. There will be not a single personal attack but their idea's will be under full scale assault & many decide it's too rough & want out. Yet, instead of leaving, they continue to banter, half-heartedly in most instances while PMing other members to complain. I receive few complaints since it takes an act of God for me to do something (I still follow the all's fair in love & war philosophy).

If somebody calls you an asshole, it'll end immediately. If somebody calls your idea's incomplete incompetent immoral idolatry or equate your favorite President to a nazi murderer, then expect a thorough trouncing-as long as you're not being called names. If somebody calls you a jack booted thug...get over it, that just means you're a NEOCON. :rolleyes:

All that for nothing.

markjs

Banned
Gonz I am going to be more careful, so it wasn't for nothing. I respect you for your knowlege of current events and your sincere efforts to argue your points. I still think you are wrong and misguided (but certainly not "evil"), but I will make every effort not to offend people with negative name calling and such. There are members I do not respect and I have made that clear. The best way to handle them is to not engage them in their silly little post wars.

PowerballWinner

Some liberals can become friends with some conservatives while some conservatives cannot become friends with some liberals. It really depends on each individual.

shainaloves

I believe in having a friend opposite your political affiliation. I believe there are two types of people in politics, those that know nothing, and those that actually research.

My friend Ashton has a completely different view on the facts as I do, but I respect him because he donates his time to keeping informed, even if in my mind its extremely misinformed! It's all about respect, and I respect him for having an opinion (and a well researched one).

It's the same with religion, there is a young man I know who is an extreme religious nut of a religion I have always disapproved of, but I find myself deeply respecting him because he works hard at the things he does. It's not all about religion, or politics.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
guys keep the inuendo's in check here. Answer the questions but do not attack the poster.

charliekola

Window Licker
shainaloves said:
I believe in having a friend opposite your political affiliation. I believe there are two types of people in politics, those that know nothing, and those that actually research.

My friend Ashton has a completely different view on the facts as I do, but I respect him because he donates his time to keeping informed, even if in my mind its extremely misinformed! It's all about respect, and I respect him for having an opinion (and a well researched one).

It's the same with religion, there is a young man I know who is an extreme religious nut of a religion I have always disapproved of, but I find myself deeply respecting him because he works hard at the things he does. It's not all about religion, or politics.

Excellent point.

I see no personal attack there.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
please dont read more into my post than i wrote. i read all post and made the post. there are many inuendos in them that are not needed.