We were adopted too!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I do NOT agree with people getting rid of animals because of inconvenience. When you get animals you should be prepared for the commitment. People who get animals and then decide they're too much hassel is why the god damned shelters are so full of sad animals!! My dog is getting old, sometimes she has accidents on the floor...but we love her and we'll show her that love until the day that she dies or has to be put down because her health is failing. Unless the animals are suddenly causing a considerable negative effect on someone's health in the house or for financial reasons one has to move somewhere that is not good for the pets (which in Ont would pretty much only apply to dogs if you were moving to an apt building since landlords can't deny you a place cause you have pets...and cats don't really need "room to run" like dogs). For all the people who get rid of pets cause they're an inconvenience or cause they're getting old and too hard to care for...I hope when they get old their family abandons them and they're left sitting in their own dirty diapers for hours waiting for an under paid employee of a government subsidized nursing home to change them.

On the note of putting animals down cause they're an inconvenience to you...I can't even form words to describe how I feel about that. Jesus fucking christ, some people have no sense of human emotion. If someone chooses to get a pet then they shouldn't be allowed to cop out and have them put down cause they're an inconvenience!

MrBishop

Not putting any cat down because of an inconvenience, Nixy.

I have to find a new home for my cats. I don't want to, but I do and it's deeper than just an inconvenience. I'd rather find a loving home for them than bring them to the SPCA for adoption by someone I don't know. I'd like to think that they'd be adopted quickly, by loving people but that's not always the case.

Want one? I'll be in your area right around the 24th on June.

Aunty Em

Nixy said:
I do NOT agree with people getting rid of animals because of inconvenience. When you get animals you should be prepared for the commitment. People who get animals and then decide they're too much hassel is why the god damned shelters are so full of sad animals!! My dog is getting old, sometimes she has accidents on the floor...but we love her and we'll show her that love until the day that she dies or has to be put down because her health is failing. Unless the animals are suddenly causing a considerable negative effect on someone's health in the house or for financial reasons one has to move somewhere that is not good for the pets (which in Ont would pretty much only apply to dogs if you were moving to an apt building since landlords can't deny you a place cause you have pets...and cats don't really need "room to run" like dogs). For all the people who get rid of pets cause they're an inconvenience or cause they're getting old and too hard to care for...I hope when they get old their family abandons them and they're left sitting in their own dirty diapers for hours waiting for an under paid employee of a government subsidized nursing home to change them.

On the note of putting animals down cause they're an inconvenience to you...I can't even form words to describe how I feel about that. Jesus fucking christ, some people have no sense of human emotion. If someone chooses to get a pet then they shouldn't be allowed to cop out and have them put down cause they're an inconvenience!

Well, I never intended to get rid of my dog Willow, but I could no longer take her out for the long walks she needed and it wasn't fair to keep such an active dog cooped up in a small flat with a really tiny garden. Plus she was whining and barking whenever I went out so the neighbours complained to the landlords, so it came down to a straight choice between dog and home in the end.

Fortunately I know she was very quickly homed with a lady who was an experienced dog owner, lives in the country and was looking for a small terriar to adopt, so I don't feel so bad about it. When I took her on it was supposed to be for life, but circumstances change and sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

I'm looking at the possibility of getting a pair of lovebirds atm. Happily they don't need walking, but they will need hand taming and allowing out to fly around my living room every day. I'm looking into correct diet, general care and taming techniques so I'll know what I'm doing if I decide to go ahead. I'll just have to make sure that Casper is out when I let them fly, though I've never seen him stalking the birds outside(not that that means much where cats are concerned) and I know of other people with both lovebirds and cats that live quite happily together.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Aunty Em said:
Well, I never intended to get rid of my dog Willow, but I could no longer take her out for the long walks she needed and it wasn't fair to keep such an active dog cooped up in a small flat with a really tiny garden. Plus she was whining and barking whenever I went out so the neighbours complained to the landlords, so it came down to a straight choice between dog and home in the end.

Your physical abilities changed and you couldn't walk her, that isn't your fault. She probably whined because you were going out without her and she wanted to walk more than she was getting too. That's a circumstance beyond your control (like developing allergies to the pet and needing to get rid of it). It wasn't just because you were fed up and wnated more freedom.

simplyred

Speaking of allergies...I think I am allergic to the little guy. And you know how cats adopt their owner? Well, while Slim and Peanut wanted the cat more than Christmas...Kitty picked ME for his owner. Any home remedies for cat allergies? We can't get rid of him! We just got him!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
simplyred said:
Speaking of allergies...I think I am allergic to the little guy. And you know how cats adopt their owner? Well, while Slim and Peanut wanted the cat more than Christmas...Kitty picked ME for his owner. Any home remedies for cat allergies? We can't get rid of him! We just got him!

My dog is ALL about my mom...my mom would much prefer if she had nothing to do with the dog...ever.

simplyred

he follows me, and gets in my lap, and lays at my feet...and follows me. I am sneezing my head off and coughing up crap!

Inkara1

Coughing up crap? Wow... if the allergies are so bad that crap comes out through your mouth instead of your butt, then you really need to do something about it! :lloyd:

MrBishop

MrBishop said:
Not putting any cat down because of an inconvenience, Nixy.

I have to find a new home for my cats. I don't want to, but I do and it's deeper than just an inconvenience. I'd rather find a loving home for them than bring them to the SPCA for adoption by someone I don't know. I'd like to think that they'd be adopted quickly, by loving people but that's not always the case.

Want one? I'll be in your area right around the 24th on June.

Well...the jury's back. The #2 allergy tests on my son came back and he's allergic all right. So..the cats have to find a new home, but quick. :(

MrBishop

1 cat adopted (Tarzan-no surprise there). The other 3 are heading towards the long-sleep..probably this week.

MrBishop

:( How old are they?

Seven and Ginger are both around 8 years old...Bishop :shrug: is a rescued cat. He's at least 12 but we can't be sure because of how bad a shape he was in when we adopted him. Usually the vets look at the teeth but he'd spent too much time outdoors (for an indoor declawed cat) that he'd lost most of his weight, some hair and a few teeth before we got him.