SnP and AllEars' won't be around much for awhile

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Greenie, I have never laid eyes on you, not even as much as a photograph, and I'd wager that you have several thousand dollars worth of clothes alone. Try buying everything (E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G) in your closet brand new and see how much that alone adds up to. 5 pairs jeans at $40 a pop is 200 bucks, on the first item alone.

If any of you have kids, I'd be willing to bet there's $500 in food in your house at any given time.

Toiletries, cleaning supplies, over the counter medications, cosmetics...another 300-500 for most of us. Add it up and see if I'm very far off.

We just finished our inventory. I know we forgot stuff. It's hard to do something like that when it's not right there in front of you to go by. I won't get too specific...but the contents value was more than the insured amount on the house itself. translation: what was in the house was more valuable than the house itself. I'd imagine most of us could say the same, even in strict replacement (non-sentimental value) terms.

On a happier note...if I am reading the forms correctly, and I think I am, our check for the structure of the house will be within $500 of paying off what we owed on the house and the 3.5 acres of mountain view acreage. I think I can find the five Benjamins to own the land free and clear. That'll be a big bonus when we go to secure another mortgage on whatever we build back. Lord knows we're due a break on SOMETHING...

greenfreak

Looking up a quote not on Geico's site. Some answers to our questions:

Your apartment community's or landlord's insurance policy does not cover your personal belongings when they are damaged or stolen.

You may be liable for damage done to the apartment or house due to your negligence.

If someone is hurt while on the property you rent, you may be legally responsible for that person's medical expenses.
Yowsa.

SNP, congrats on owning your land free and clear. Although the reason for it sucks, that's got to feel good. :)

HomeLAN

It may vary from state to state, but renter's insurance down here surely DOES include liability coverage.

Dave

Professur said:
I videotaped a sheet with all the serials on it (saved time). It's mostly legible, but can be digitally enhanced should there be the need.

Don't have $50K worth of stuff? You really so sure about that? How much do you have in pots and pans? Flatware? Take a list of everything in your kitchen one day (that includes the paper towel dispenser, candy thermometer, .. everything) and go get replacement prices (doing it online is quick, easy, and fun). I think you'll be suprised and scared at just how much money you've got wrapped up.
very good idea. i do have still pics and videotape of when we moved in, but i dont have any serial/model numbers written down anywhere. guess what i'll be doing monday...

greenfreak

I evaluated $18500. in property so for a $20k policy (including liability, medical payments, property damage), it's about $275. For $30k, it's $395.

Not a lot compared to what it would cost to replace everything.
SNP, when can they start breaking ground on your new house? What are the temps like down there, can they start now or wait till spring?

TexasRaceLady

I'm insured up the wazoo, also. However, some of the collectibles cannot be replaced since the person who autographed them is dead.

And I'm like SNP, I have a number of my great-grandmother's quilts, an antique Seth Thomas clock, and a small chest of drawers that came to Texas in 1855 via covered wagon from Tennessee. You're in a Catch22 situation --- you might lose them, but you love having them around you.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
greenfreak said:
Looking up a quote not on Geico's site. Some answers to our questions:

Yowsa.

SNP, congrats on owning your land free and clear. Although the reason for it sucks, that's got to feel good. :)

BUt if your landlord doesn't report your property as being rented out I can't see how he could pin it on you...

catocom

SouthernN'Proud said:
Heard him, seen him in concert numerous times. Get with the times ya old fogey. :winkkiss:
I never heard of AC/DC until "Back in Black". :p
THEN I went back and got the older stuff. :swing:

chcr

Too cute for words
catocom said:
I never heard of AC/DC until "Back in Black". :p
THEN I went back and got the older stuff. :swing:
So, do you now have the "biggest balls of them all?"

Inkara1

greenfreak said:
I evaluated $18500. in property so for a $20k policy (including liability, medical payments, property damage), it's about $275. For $30k, it's $395.

Not a lot compared to what it would cost to replace everything.
SNP, when can they start breaking ground on your new house? What are the temps like down there, can they start now or wait till spring?
How often is that $275? Per month? Six months? Year?

Inkara1

Nixy said:
NO cause you already have a Fairlane.
It's technically my dad's... and the Fairlane in question is a '66 convertible with a big-block, not a '62 Sports Coupe with a 260. :p

Aunty Em

Hmmm, think I need to write an inventory of what I own... not that I'm planning on having a fire, but when you live in an apartment block you don't have control over what other people do or their equipment.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
greenfreak said:

We still have some too cold weather to get through. We also have to iron out the last details with insurance and the current mortgage company. We were told not to contact them just yet, the fire investigators still need to poke about some in the ashes. Our goal is to have something in place by September 1, but that may be a tad ambitious. We want to take our time as much as we can, and make the best decision we possibly can. We might buy another house somewhere close by...not sure just yet. We might go modular, we might try and build. The good thing is, we don't have to decide just yet.

Professur

I'm just gonna toss in my 2 bits about the modular houses. They've been discussed here before, too. Personally, I like them for one big reason. Factory quality control. They can use assembly techniques that are simply not possible in the field. And they've come a long way in overcoming the movement/joint difficulties of the past. Hell, you can get them wired for cat6 and RG6 to every room, and it hardly costs any extra. Fibre goes a bit more, but once it's in, it's in for life and you never have to think about it again. Having some jerkwad pulling it while you've 15 other contractors stomping about in steeltoes doesn't bear considering.