Lesbians - Greeks fail to copyright term

MrBishop

ATHENS (Reuters) - A Greek court has dismissed a request by residents of the Aegean island of Lesbos to ban the use of the word lesbian to describe gay women, according to a court ruling made public on Tuesday.

Three residents of Lesbos, the birthplace of the ancient Greek poetess Sappho whose love poems inspired the term lesbian, brought a case last month arguing the use of the term in reference to gay women insulted their identity.

In a July 18 decision, the Athens court said the word did not define the identity of the residents of the island, and so it could be validly used by gay groups in Greece and abroad.

The ruling ordered the plaintiffs to pay court expenses of 230 euros ($366.2).

"This is a good decision for lesbians everywhere," Vassilis Chirdaris, lawyer for the Gay and Lesbian Union of Greece, told Reuters. "A court in Athens could not stop people around the world from using it. It was ridiculous."
He said the plaintiffs were free to appeal the decision in a higher court.

Lesbos, which lies just off the Turkish Coast, has become a gathering spot for gay women from around the world, especially at the village of Eressos which is regarded as the birthplace of the poet in the 7th century B.C.

Several residents testified during the trial that the use of the word lesbian had brought recognition to the island and boosted its tourist trade.
Reuters

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've wondered why men are simply homosexuals while wimmins are lesbians. They are two sides of the same coin after all.

MrBishop

I've wondered why men are simply homosexuals while wimmins are lesbians. They are two sides of the same coin after all.
Homosexual men are 'Gay' - they just don't use the term as often..havn't taken "ownership" of the terms.

Tho' the GLBT groups might dissagree.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Homosexuals are happy? Glad to hear it but that doesn't answer the question. :p

chcr

Too cute for words
Homosexual men are 'Gay' - they just don't use the term as often..havn't taken "ownership" of the terms.

Tho' the GLBT groups might dissagree.

"Gay" is a recent development, Hardly the same thing. Besides, aren't homosexual men "nancy-boys?" That's what I've always heard anyway.

tonksy

My neighbor calls himself gay. I wonder if that's only what he calls himself amongst the breeders.

MrBishop

"Gay" is a recent development, Hardly the same thing. Besides, aren't homosexual men "nancy-boys?" That's what I've always heard anyway.
Used to be "Fags", and "Queers", but those went out of style. As for 'nancy-boys' - well, some of the gay dudes that I know could hardly be described as weak in any way. Gym-fags. :D

Professur

Why are lesbians so much more acceptable than gays? Simple. Lesbians don't do anything a man wouldn't do with a woman. Licking pussy, sucking nipples, fingering the G spot ... all common territory. Gays, on the other hand, are 'known' (I know not all gay men do, back off) buggers. That triggers the natural, and totally correct aversion to fecal matter. The very same biological response that prevents you from picking up a dog turd and wiping it across your face is the one that makes gays pariah.

MrBishop

..and yet, heterosexual men are buggerers of women and nobody's complaining...hmmm...

Must be something else.

Some notable findings:
  • Kinsey data collected between 1938-1963 found that 9 percent of non-married males and 28 percent of non-married females had engaged in anal sex at least once. Among married subjects, the numbers were much lower--around 11 percent for both men and women.
  • In 1974, Playboy magazine published a huge survey of over 2000 people. Depending on the age of the respondent, between 14 and 25 percent of people said they had tried anal sex at least once.
  • A more recent study, conducted in 1990 at the Kinsey Institute, found that 27 percent of male and 24 percent of female college students had anal sex at least once.
  • One researcher, who surveyed one group of people in the 1970s then another in the late 1980s, offers a good point of comparison. In the first survey, 25 percent of women had anal sex and 8 percent reported engaging in it regularly. In the second, 72 percent had anal sex, and 23 percent reported engaging in it regularly.
  • A 1991 survey of 3200 men (in a nationally representative sample) found that 20 percent of men age 20 to 39 had engaged in anal sex at least once. Fifty percent of the men who had tried it had only tried it once. Interestingly, in this more contemporary study, more older men reported having had anal sex than younger men (27 percent of men age 35 to 39 versus 13 percent of men age 20 to 24).
  • The most recent U.S. data from a national representative sample comes from the 2002 National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG), which was conducted on over 12,000 men and women aged 15 to 44. Results show that 34 percent of men and 30 percent of women reported engaging in anal sex at least once.
  • In a 1996 survey of Swedish women aged 18 to 74, about 20 percent of women overall reported having engaged in anal sex--specifically, 28 percent of 25 to 34 year-olds and 2 percent of 66 to 74 year-olds.

Professur

someone's just desperate for a reason to dislike 'em.

If you're looking at me while saying that, I'm afraid you're (as usual) mistaken. If I didn't like 'them', I wouldn't have hired one, nor worked graveyard shift with him. That I think they've made choices that make them different has nothing to do with like or dislike. The question I read concerned why lesbianism was more easily acceptable than male homosexuality. I gave the answer to that question as I saw it. From that, that's my view of how others appear to see it. Not necessarily my own view of it.

And as for natural .... every wild animal on the planet takes pains to not defecate within their own nest, and those that do, get rid of it asap. Even bird parents will remove their nestlings poo from the nest.

And Tonksy .... you've got a dog. Go take one of your kids, have them mush some poo up in the yard ... then take them in, wash their hands (use as much soap as you like), and seat them down for supper. Finger food. Burgers and fries. Go ahead, I'll wait.