Got a couple more cars.

Sharky

I tried to buy my own first car (at 16), but only had enough money (earned working in a machine shop as a helper) for the worst of beaters. My 'rents insisted on my driving something safe and reliable, so they matched my funds and helped me buy a decent car, with the stipulation that the money would be repaid. It was. Because I repaid them promptly, they were everafter willing to help me out financially when times got tough. And it taught me how to use credit wisely.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
MitchSchaft said:
Here's something to think about concerning beater cars. Consider it's potential for things not to work. Like seatbelts. If you get a beater, get the seatbelts looked at/replaced. It'll be worth it.
That's been in my mind, and actually, the Mitsubishis I've bought so far all have the auto shoulder belt, so I think that will help some. The kids are all pretty good about wearing seat belts anyway, been pounding that into their heads since they were tots.

As for the other repairs, I love working on these small cars, not too many computers, just old fashioned combustion engines.

Rose

I was able to drive the Bronco to/from school/work with permission for a while. Then my dad found a Yoder for me that he bought ($1,500 approx) and I was supposed to make payments on. :s I remember making a few but mom kind of took care of it for me. d'oh. It was a POS, though and when I got a 'real' car in my Senior year (maybe Junior?) I made payments and paid insurance and gas. My parents helped when needed, though I don't remember needing it much. :s

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Well teh rule at my house, was you can drive teh car, if you ask permission, and pay for the gas, I live in a city with a great public transit system, so owning a car never crossed my mind at 17, when i wanted my license at 18, the car died, and was never replaced, now I own a house, own a car, am almost 30, and still have no license, and no urge to drive

I am sick and twisted

MitchSchaft

PuterTutor said:
That's been in my mind, and actually, the Mitsubishis I've bought so far all have the auto shoulder belt, so I think that will help some. The kids are all pretty good about wearing seat belts anyway, been pounding that into their heads since they were tots.

As for the other repairs, I love working on these small cars, not too many computers, just old fashioned combustion engines.

My brother died in a car wreck due to my friend's car's seatbelt not doing what it was supposed to during the wreck. The belt was fine by itself. It seemed to have worked fine. But when it came to the stress of a wreck, it malfunctioned. I can't remember if it was one of those auto shoulder belt, but it was like an 87 acura integra. I think that was the year. This was back in 95 or 96.

Oz

MitchSchaft said:
My brother died in a car wreck due to my friend's car's seatbelt not doing what it was supposed to during the wreck. The belt was fine by itself. It seemed to have worked fine. But when it came to the stress of a wreck, it malfunctioned. I can't remember if it was one of those auto shoulder belt, but it was like an 87 acura integra. I think that was the year. This was back in 95 or 96.

You didn't have to have an annual test to guarantee the car was roadworthy and safe then? (In the UK it is called the MoT test) :confused:

markjs

Banned
I had to buy my own, and it was a bad choice. It was a 73 Monte Carlo with a 350 with tons of power. I was involved in 2 high speed chases before I owned the car a month.

Now to punish myself for my youthful exuberance (and cuz I am poor) I own an 83 Citation 4 cyl that can't go over 85....has saved me expesive tickets though.

MitchSchaft

bleach said:
You didn't have to have an annual test to guarantee the car was roadworthy and safe then? (In the UK it is called the MoT test) :confused:

They don't test the seatbelts. That's something you should do yourself and not have to have your government babysit you about.

HubbaHubba

well, seeing as i have to pretty much pay for university/college myself i dont see myself getting a car anytime soon. Although when i do i will be paying for it myself too...

I swear when i have kids im saving for their education from day one.

MitchSchaft

Justintime said:
Where is Tom these days? have not seen him post anywhere in years literally!

Yeah, he quit goin to HWC cause it got no traffic a while back. Nowadays he just gets on the net to check email and visit a mustangworld.com. He's not as big of a dork as me. :lol2: