Got a couple more cars.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
The kids are getting older, got one that is 15 now, and another just turned 14. So, I've been looking for a couple of cheap cars for them to tear up over the next few years. Only condition was that I really wanted a clutch, so I could teach them how to drive it. So, I bought that 92 Mirage a couple months back, it's an auto, but a good car. Saturday I bought two more. A 93 Mirage LS Couple, and a 90 Eclipse. Both sticks, the Mirage needs some clutch work, but I figure I need to know how to do it anyway, the Eclipse was a steal, nothing wrong with it except it was abandoned after having a CV boot repaired. So I picked them both up for 1300. Now I own four vehicles, and am thinking about paving the side yard so I have a place to park them all.

Ok, I did have a question here, Did you have to buy your own first car? We are telling the kids that these are OUR cars, not thiers, and if they want to have one they can drive without asking, they will have to pay for it, insure it, gas it up, etc... That was the way it was for me, and for my wife, how about you?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I had to buy my own....I learned as a preteen that I couldn't depend on my parents for my needs much less my wants...:shrug:

Dave

i "bought" my first car from my uncle for $10. it was a 71 buick lesabre 4 door. it had been sitting in his yard for the better part of a year before i got it. i paid for the insurance and maintnance on it.
only had it for about 3 or 4 months. head gasket blew and the motor seized after it burned all the oil.
if i had kids, i would have them buy their own car. seen too many kids ruin or total their brand new camaros and mustangs given to them as graduation presents or when they get their license.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I will have to buy my first car. I can drive my mom's van when I am home and when she feels she wants to let me.

Damn, I'd think just having the car there most of the time so all that is needed to use it is a simple request woud be like heaven. With me I can only go out when my mom doesn't have to or if I am gonna go run whatever errands she has to do as well as my own stuff. I'd say that telling them they are your cars and they have to ask permission (even though it seems there will always be a car around) is VERY VERY generous and if they start taking them without asking I'd say they deserve a boot in the ass.

PT

They know, if they ever take a car without asking, it will be a long time before they drive again, Our car or any car. I just figure this way we get a little more control over the car, we know it will be taken care of, cause we can demand it be so. I guess we'll see how it works out.

Oh, and the Eclipse is mine, they aren't touching it. :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
That's a nice educational technique PT, it should work fine.

Maybe, you can start asking them to pay the gas if they want to have more priviledges over YOUR car ;)

K62

as a 18 year old who drives his mothers car until he can afford his own. I say give them the car you drive, and pay them like 50c for every km for gas. you will do just fine with the old cars

:drink: :drink: :D :D :D :D

PT

Pay them? :rofl:

:rofl:

Now, charging them .10 a mile or something might work out, but then they'd just borrow the money from me to pay thier bill, so :shrug:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
K62...You're gonna seriously hurt someone with jokes like that....

I think I've herniated a testical from laughing so hard....:crying3:

ris

bought my first car 3 yrs ago for 650 quid. 1988 vw polo [there's a pic out there somewhere of it]. before that i drove my mums car when i was home for the summer but didn't have or need one when i was in uni.

we bought a newer car last weekend and gave the polo off for scrap, it was about to fail its mot with honours and i'm doing more miles now. we picked up a 95 vauxhall astra with 55k on the clock for 1100 squids.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
K62: Yeah...that would be luxurious wouldn't it BUT have you ever had to deal with the people whose parents gave them brandnew cars for some occasion. Many of them don't know the meaning of working for something because they have never done it. I mean, it isn't their fault but I believe parents need to teach their kids they have to work for stuff if they want it.

MitchSchaft

PuterTutor said:
The kids are getting older, got one that is 15 now, and another just turned 14. So, I've been looking for a couple of cheap cars for them to tear up over the next few years. Only condition was that I really wanted a clutch, so I could teach them how to drive it. So, I bought that 92 Mirage a couple months back, it's an auto, but a good car. Saturday I bought two more. A 93 Mirage LS Couple, and a 90 Eclipse. Both sticks, the Mirage needs some clutch work, but I figure I need to know how to do it anyway, the Eclipse was a steal, nothing wrong with it except it was abandoned after having a CV boot repaired. So I picked them both up for 1300. Now I own four vehicles, and am thinking about paving the side yard so I have a place to park them all.

Ok, I did have a question here, Did you have to buy your own first car? We are telling the kids that these are OUR cars, not thiers, and if they want to have one they can drive without asking, they will have to pay for it, insure it, gas it up, etc... That was the way it was for me, and for my wife, how about you?

Here's something to think about concerning beater cars. Consider it's potential for things not to work. Like seatbelts. If you get a beater, get the seatbelts looked at/replaced. It'll be worth it.