FiOS

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
so says the test sight as pass thru at 15.xxMbps ;)

Linksys said:
Standards IEEE 802.3 (10BaseT), IEEE 802.3u (100BaseTX)
Ports One 10/100 RJ-45 Port for Broadband Modem
Four 10/100 RJ-45 Switched Ports

DLink said:
IEEE 802.3 10Base-T Ethernet
IEEE 802.3u 100Base-TX Fast Ethernet
IEEE 802.3 NWay Auto-Negotiation

chcr

Too cute for words
Note that these are simply questions I would ask myself if I were having this problem. It seems clear that the speed is being downgraded when you hook up the second router, right? Since most of this stuff is auto-sensing, everything slows down to the slowest speed.

How 'bout your cables?
Have you tries turning off DHCP and configuring everything manually (I always do this for security purposes).
Sure both cards are 10/100?

I'll assume you don't have a tester handy but you might try putting each cable in in the solo computer (extry high speed and I hate you BTW) to see if there's a problem there. I've had cat5e cables with loose ends give slower performance.

Perhaps a setting on the wife's computer?

I'm just shooting in the dark here, most of my networking experience is in UNIX.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
the speed is being downgraded when you hook up the second router, right?
No. Only when one router is run. The speed is slower (around 6700) with the Linksys but stable. The D-Link actually hit 14k a couple of times but ran at incredibly varying speeds.

With both routers hooked up, sudenly everything is peachy-keen. My only complaint, if you can even call it that, is having one more piece of equipment than needed.

Wires were tested & switched & reversed during the original install. Both cards are 10/100 and are both are mobo based but are newer than the NIC100 v2.1 & the LNE100TX v2 cards I have :D

It's running wonderfully, now.
ready to add your pin

rrfield

Gonz, you up for a challenge? Get one of these.

PIX 501

cdccont_0900aecd800aa56e.jpg

If this don't cure what ails you, nothing will.

HomeLAN

Welcome to the joys of being an early adopter! Get set for all the service glitches as they nail this sucker down, too. Oh, and BTW, they may have to kill it soon.

Based on estimates and analysts' cost projections, Verizon will have spent $3.2 billion on Fios work over the past two years. And assuming the company has 150,000 subscribers by year-end, that would mean Verizon paid about $21,000 for each new customer.

That's one mutha of a SAC, there. $21,000 per newbie. Since they only intend to have 20% coverage by the end of next year, it won't drop anytime soon, either as they extend the network.

It's a really nice service, but does it make business sense?

http://www.thestreet.com/_mktwrm/tech/scottmoritz/10255793.html?cm_ven=CBSM&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

Winky

Wrongo HL
unless the Phone companies want to go out of business
they will have to do this
If you know sumthin' you'd know that
the cable companies already have rolled out fiber to node
and can provide phone broadband and of course Video
with fiber to curb the phone Co can compete if not they will
remain a two copper-wire oddity

the silly 15 Meg they’ve given him is a mere trickle
they could give him a 100 mbps connection if they wanted

HomeLAN

We shall see. If it's a must just to avoid a competitive disadvantage, it may well spell the end of the phone companies, as we know them in any case.

rrfield

Right and wrong. The differences between Phone and Cable companies is going to disappear. Right now phone companies can offer video services (they have been able to for a while in a limited fashion, 30 or so channels over UTP), cable companies can offer phone service, both can offer internet services.

One big difference as of now though.

Phone companies are regulated MUCH heavier. Advantage: Cable. For now.

Winky

yep they will evolve or wither and die
their current network topology is ill suited
too today's demand

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Gonz said:
lemme see if I can find my copy of DrTCP (or instantly dl it)

ah, here it is

RWin 307824
Yes to all
MTU 1492

Change the MTU to 1492 on all computers on all interfaces. That was the problem with my router and DSL.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The Verizon guys said they were averaging about $1400. per install here. The early adopters (I was one of the first on cable too) allow them too work out the kinks. They want to go to a predominately fiber system, droppping all but minimal copper. TV is where the money will be. Comcast is going to take it in the shorts.

Luis, both machines are already set there. It's been running like a champ with the current setup. The other day, just top see, I hooked hers up to the gateway...the WAN died. I hooked mine up & the speed slowed to 6800kbps. The only way to ever see 14800kbps+ is thru both routers.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Long term investment

Verizon announced in January that Fort Wayne would become its first Midwest market to get the new fiber-optic systems. The company said it would build the network to reach 65,000 homes and businesses within two years at an estimated cost of up to $75 million.

The project is adding about 200 permanent jobs, mostly for technicians and engineers, to Verizon’s area employment of about 2,200, Howard said.
That's about $1200. per household. Look at the long term return from copper phone lines & that started at zero.

Local rag

HomeLAN

Only question is whether it really will pay off. Is the speed boost with Fios going ot get that much market traction? I know people still on dial-up - by choice.

If it does, how quickly can cable offer the product? According to Winky, damned fast. They may be doing nothing but touching off a price and infrastructure war they can't win. Does this segment just need to be written off by the telcos? I'm betting that's a real topic o' conversation in some boardrooms.

rrfield

It's been known for quite some time that FTTH (or FTTP) is the future and that DSL/Cablemodem services are merely place holders in the market.

Cable has always been able to act quicker in offering new services because they don't have near the regulation phone companies have. They will have a fairly big challenge in redesigning their topology; cable traditionally operates over a shared medium. This works, but in large scale TWO WAY communication it's much much slower (think hubs versus switches). Like the Winkman said, cable has done this "to the curb" (FTTC), now they will just need to do this to the home like Verizon is doing.