FiOS

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Mirlyn said:
Digital camera? Pics of the box/equipment? I've read all the speed stats...show me the hardware/install! :D

I've found these: http://mikesblog.blogdns.org/fios/
still looking for more....

OKAY, tomorrow. Mine is an aerial install & I put the battery backup box in my computer area. It's an OTN box (about double the standard home phone box) & the backup system and a crappy D-Link router. THat's it.

Mirlyn

Gonz said:
OKAY, tomorrow. Mine is an aerial install & I put the battery backup box in my computer area. It's an OTN box (about double the standard home phone box) & the backup system and a crappy D-Link router. THat's it.
Aerial fiber? Woah...that'd make me nervous...nearby trees? Did they put the drop in themselves while you were there (curious if it'd be them putting it back up should something happen, or if they're contracting it out like Cox does here)? Was Comcast aerial as well? Still got a drop up from them? Whats the battery backup (brand/capacity)? What model of DLink?
Reported to be using the 70.104.0.0/13 block.
Not looking for more detail, of course, but is this true? Your IP is in this block? I'm keeping eyes out in my servers' logs for FiOS traffic sources.

[/drool]

ok, I'll settle down now :D

Altron

What it looks like:

You get the fiber line out of the pole. Black vinyl insulation, looks just like the copper. It runs into a box, called the BAB (Big Ass Box) which is probably 16"x10"x4" on the side of your house, made from grey plastic. It opens up. Inside the fiber runs down and goes into the mux/demux or whatever they call the fiber transcievers, Net+ was two years ago and I can't remember. There's a 10/100 ethernet port, a few phone jacks that are routed into your house's phone system, and a few F jacks for DirecTV over fiber, which is eihter already out or coming out soon.

Inside the house, you have a power adaptor that is wired through the wall, and a backup battery.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Mirlyn said:
Aerial fiber? Was Comcast aerial as well?

As was/is the phone & Comcast (it's an old neighborhood). DI 604 & it's junk. I'm using my BEFSR41 :D check your karma

Mirlyn

Gonz said:
As was/is the phone & Comcast (it's an old neighborhood). DI 604 & it's junk. I'm using my BEFSR41 :D check your karma
Is it common for a tree to take things down? Aerial power is not uncommon in the older parts here either. Guess Verizon is going to bite the bullet and put in a infrastructure no matter how vulnerable it is. I find it freakin awesome that they'll do it on such a grand scale....it shatters the mindset that fiber is still "high-end." :headbang:

Wonder how fast they can rebuild the fiber, aerial or buried, after a bit of spring weather. ;)

Oh, and in case you didn't see....:finger: :p

Mirlyn

Gonz said:
If its static, I'm moving to IN. :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What a fiasco. The D-link router (no wonder it's free) never connected. I was using my Linksys last night. I went to their (lLinksys) site to see if the firmware needed an update. IT did, specifically to help PPPoE parameters. I downlowd it & the installer. About 75% of the way thru, it stops & gives me an error message. I attempt to get back into it & no go. I do the short reset & no go. I do the long reset & no go. I reset & power off. No go. The red diag light is blinking & there is no way to get into the damned thing. Different cables, different positions, nothing. (BEFSR41 V2, if you have any suggestions)

They arrive this morning & get to business. Starting on the pole, they clean & refit & test & I'm still not on. No WAN light but my in-house network is fine. The end up replacing the ONT (Optical Network Terminal). Still slow. (yes, we've changed & checked & used different cables). They tested the outside connection, with a new router & got full speed. So, we replace the router (for the third time) & I get online. Not quite as fast as the outside connection but close. Then I plug in the wifes puter to the router & BAM!...no WAN. Unplug it & WAN...albeit considerable slower than before).

I can network with the wifes machine, no problem. I can get online, no problem. She can't get online & with her machine in the mix, I can't get online. WTF??? So, now I must see if there's a fix for the Linksys (doubt it) & see if that works any better.

Surfing isn't a whole lot faster than the cable was but downloads are incredible.

First two are of the ONT next to the standard NIT & the second are the conversion terminal & battery backup

Professur

Check your voltage from the AC adapter for the linksys. They had a series that had defective adapters and that's exactly what they'd do, flash the red. Changed the transformer and it was good to go.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Professur said:
Check your voltage from the AC adapter for the linksys. They had a series that had defective adapters and that's exactly what they'd do, flash the red. Changed the transformer and it was good to go.

Thanks Prof, it's an old one & that wasn't the problem. Using a linksys utility I'm back on with my favorite router, using old firmware becaue the new one won't work :mad: (kudos to the Phillipino linksys chat helper person guy thing) Momma is on now too.

Winky...fly your lazy ass out here & network me or STFU :p

Mirlyn

rrfield said:
Are the Linksys/D-Link class of routers even designed to do more than 10mbps?
Some are 10meg uplinks. Some have 100meg. Can't remember which are which. I think my RV042 has a 100meg uplink...not sure...so it might be a new thing. I haven't seen a 10meg uplink fail while using it at 100megs....its always adjusted the link speed.

Thanks for the pics, Gonz! :headbang:

[/wipes chin]

rrfield

The interfce speeds may be 100mbps, but can the actual device handle speeds well above a certain threshold? You need to look at pps (packets per second) and do some math to figure out what a device can really handle.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
10/100 on the Linksys. They're supposed to ( I did get a few 14k download speeds).
The Dlink is what Verizon provides so it damned well better be 10/100.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
rrfield said:
You need to look at pps (packets per second) and do some math to figure out what a device can really handle.

Details?

Using the D-link for my cable & my Linksys for the FiOS I compared the two, for sh*ts & giggles.

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.2.1e
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 368.36Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 4.19Mb/s
Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem
Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link

vs

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.86Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 5.57Mb/s
The slowest link in the end-to-end path is a 10 Mbps Ethernet subnet
Alarm: Duplex mismatch condition exists: Host set to HD and Switch set to FD

rrfield

Gonz said:
Details?

Using the D-link for my cable & my Linksys for the FiOS I compared the two, for sh*ts & giggles.

Vendors tend to use Packets Per Second as a measuring tool. They typically test with all 64 byte packets since that's suposed to be the most CPU intensive, but it's not realistic by any means. Then again what lab test is?

For example, a switch I just bought from Cisco - WS-C3750G-12S-E. Catalyst 3750, 12 SFP Ports (all gigabit). The forwarding rate is 17.8 Mpps. You take ( 17,800,000 * (64+20) * 8 ) / 12 = 996,800,000 or slightly below a gigabit per port. That's 17.8 mpps times 64 bytes per packet plus 20 bytes of overhead times 8 bits per byte divided by the number of ports.

Link to the 3750 Data Sheet

In the case of a broadband router, the number of ports is probably 2 (WAN and LAN). All of the LAN ports would likely be considered one in a test like this. The only SOHO class of device with pps info I could find was a 5 port D-Link Gigabit switch . It clocked in at 1.488 Mpps, or slightly above 200 mbps per port. My bet is that you will be lucky to get 20 mbps through a typical D-Link/Linksys/Netgear broadband router.

Note to self: Put my BEFSR81 through a few tests if the roommate can live without the internet for a day.

abooja

I have RoadRunner cable through Time Warner. This was my connection speed to the NYC server, from beautiful Queens. I'm guessing it's not very quick on the uptake.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
That's standard for cable.

rr said:
You take ( 17,800,000 * (64+20) * 8 ) / 12 = 996,800,000 or slightly below a gigabit per port. That's 17.8 mpps times 64 bytes per packet plus 20 bytes of overhead times 8 bits per byte divided by the number of ports.
:toomuch:

I look on the package & hope marketing wasn't too high that day :D

PS-yea I saw that. I assume the switch is the router?

Winky

So where are the TeraBytes per second speed test results Gonzomatic?

test.JPG