Dual Boot Problem... Arghhhhhh!!!

Aunty Em

I was downloading 3 files in the background otherwise it's about 11 - 12000k. But there are some processes running in the background which I don't need e.g. automatic update, so I'll have to look that up and switch them off.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Yes, get rid of DNS, Indexing, Distributed Link Tracking client and server, Automatic Updates, Telephony, background intelligent transfer, messenger

just to name a few.

Aunty Em

Will do.... if it all goes wrong I'll blame you. :D :lol:

I have 29 processes working in the background, some of them I know because I installed them, but I just wish I knew what all the others were...

Luis G

Staff member
Actually, you better take a look at the XP page, because win2k SP3 has a lot of services not listed in the win2k page.

Aunty Em

Actually I've been through it Luis and there was only one item that was different apart from the programs I installed.

I managed to get my startup memory usage down to about 90000k and only 18 running processes from 29, and the programs I've put on use a lot of memory especially the firewall at just under 9000k. Obviously it still needs tweaking a bit but I'll see how this goes first.

Hopefully I should get my extra memory in the morning as it was sent yesterday.

Luis G

Staff member
Aunty Em said:
I've put on use a lot of memory especially the firewall at just under 9000k.

Using win2k built in firewall? :confuse3:

I rather use zone alarm.

Aunty Em

It has it's own firewall? ?(

I didn't know.... I use the free personal addition of Agnitum's Outpost.... in stealth mode. :)

I believe it's open source... You can write plugins for it - the software is available on the site.

I find it simple and effective, though I expect if you're used to Zone Alarm the GUI isn't as pretty and it's nowhere near as user friendly to a novice. Nor does it keep giving those stupid pop-up alarms when you get pinged. :disgust2:

Luis G

Staff member
Yes, it has its own firewall,

goto network connections, right click your connection, properties, TCP/IP, properties, advanced, options, TCP/IP filtering, properties.

It won't stop outgoing traffic, just incoming.

Luis G

Staff member
In theory, a firewall is meant to protect a network from incoming traffic.

Luis G

Staff member
In theory, every single program should have a loop or jump and a bug ;)

Aunty Em

Just got my extra memory this morning:

New config:

Athlon XP 2200+
GlobalWin 852FP heatsink and fan
ABit KD7-E mobo
512MB Crucial 2100DDR-Ram (Non-parity)
Maxtor Diamondmax 9 40GB 7200rpm HDD
Matsushita 8x/40x multiregion DVD-Rom
CyberDrive 32x/12x/48x CD-RW
Alps FDD
ATI 7500 64MB TV Out Graphics Adapter
SBLive! 5.1 soundcard
Soundworks SW310 speakers with subwoofer
6x USB 2.0 (4x rear, 2x front side)

Just need to sort out the boot.ini so that I can make a backup image. :)

I also received the the kvm, so I just have to get a larger surge protector for the extra plug and then I can network them. I'll just go for 2 nics and a crossover cable for now.

I've decided to keep Me on the other one for the moment because I've found my digi cam doesn't work on 2k and there are no new drivers available. So I will dual boot it with 2k so that I can network them more easily. :)