Dual Boot Problem... Arghhhhhh!!!

Aunty Em

:banghead:

I have dual booted my system with Me and 2000k Pro.

Unfortunately I am more used to 98/Me and am not very familiar with the administration side of 2000.

Question:

How do I stop programs from starting up on startup that I don't want. In Me I just click on run and type msconfig to get the system configuration utility - what is the equivalent in 2000?

Professur

first, what kind of modem?

Second, you're screwed. Right click on my computer, and select manage. Or go through the control panel to the administration options.

Aunty Em

Professur said:
first, what kind of modem?

Second, you're screwed. Right click on my computer, and select manage. Or go through the control panel to the administration options.

Yes but which option in there do I need?

Professur

That depends on what you want to stop. It could be something starting in the Startup group, as a service, or from the registry.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
use this msconfig for win2k

edit: it is better to place the extracted file on the winnt\system32 directory

Aunty Em

Professur said:
That depends on what you want to stop. It could be something starting in the Startup group, as a service, or from the registry.

It's the startup group I'm after.

Thanks for the file luis. :)

Aunty Em

Thanks for all your help Luis and Prof... I've sorted out the OS and am presently surfing with it. In fact I'll probably dump Me after I've found all the drivers for my peripherals and If they go on OK that is. :)

Guess I better pay a visit ti MS Update now...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Definitely dump ME. 2k had a few problems with older games when it first came out, but after sp3, I can run almost everything I've got. You'll like not having to deal with Blue Screens.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I have not read all this thread and I am pretty sure you have the problem solved now but I would like to offer my advice.

Windows ME == THE DEVIL!!! nuff said...:D

Aunty Em

PuterTutor said:
Definitely dump ME. 2k had a few problems with older games when it first came out, but after sp3, I can run almost everything I've got. You'll like not having to deal with Blue Screens.

I updated to sp3 last night and I have to agree with you PT. After just a few hours of running 2k I'm converted. Obviously I'm not as familiar with it as I was with Me but it does seem to be much more stable and no blue screens so far. What I could do with though is a link to learning how to use all the management tools but I think I'll see if I can get a good book too.

The main reason I had not upgraded is because I couldn't get the drivers for my scanner as they are no longer being upgraded, but when I went to look at the site last night new information recommended using the nt drivers, so I downloaded and installed them and hey presto they work! So I'm happy at not needing a new scanner. And everything else works no problem - no conflicts at all. :)

I have another 256MB of crucial 2100 DDR ram on the way so that will give me 512MB and I'm going to convert my other computer to 2k and network the two as soon as my kvm is up and running properly when it arrives later this week.

Just one question at the moment, how to I find out the percentage of resources I have free? In Me you just right click on my computer and click on the performance tab. Or is this even possible? I've had a look through all the management tools but can't find what I'm looking for.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Right click on the taskbar, then Task Manager, your resources are displayed there.

A good site for the services running is www.blackviper.com he's done a lot of research on what everything is and if you need to have it running or not. As for the other management tools, I hate to say it, but Microsoft has a pretty good description of them all on their site. http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
That's a bit high at boot up, mine is at 77MB on pro and about 115MB on server.

Get rid of some services.