Dating a middle school girl

Ringworm

My nephew is 17 yr. He's a senior. He's been hanging out with a middle schooler. She's 8th grade, 13 year old.

I saw them holding hands last weekend.

He's going to ask her to go to his school's winter dance. Is she too young?

I saw her and she's quite developed for her age. I better not talk about her cuz I might feel like a pedophile.

What do you think? A little too young? ?(

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
At 17 you want sex (I am almost 19, at 17 I wanted sex) at 13 you are too young for sex.

It's opposite sides of the relationship change over barrier

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Yep, too young. I'm surprised her parents aren't saying anything. I have a 14 year old daughter, she is allowed to "go out" with 15 year olds, but that is the oldest.

Of course, they never actually "go" anywhere, so I don't know what "go out" is supposed to mean.:confuse3:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Ringworm said:
But they're both minors. Teens.

sex is legal.

Technically, yes. but in a few months, when he turns 18, he either waits 4 years to do it again, or he goes to jail.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
It's legal but they are on opposite sides of the relationshp barrier IMHO

Up to about 16 I believe relationships should consist of sexual things more than making out

After 16 then I think you are mature enough to start having sex if you see fit

Obviously that is just an average age, that is how I was.

Whether that age barrier shifts up or down because of the specific person doesn't change the fact that 13 is too young to be dating a 17 year old

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I've said it before and I'll say it again....If they're old enough to sit at the table, they're old enough to eat.....JUST KIDDING!!!

I definately would have a problem with that . Especially if I were the girl's parent. Nixy is right. They are on opposite sides of a threshold when it comes to the intimacy thing...

Ardsgaine

Hehe. When I was 17, Janimal was 12. We didn't really meet until she was 18, though. (I had seen her a couple of times when she was about 14, but we weren't introduced and didn't meet again for four years.)

As far as sex goes, I think Nixy's right. There's a line there, and he's on one side of it and she's on the other. But sex is only a factor if they're having sex, or wanting to have sex soon. If you could count on them to hold off until they're both on the same side of the line, it might be alright. Can they be trusted to behave? How strong are their feelings for each other?

These days we don't really expect high school sweethearts to last a whole school year, much less get married and spend the rest of their lives together. Still, I guess it could happen.

You might want to sit your nephew down and explain to him about the line, and about the legal problems once he turns 18. You should explain to him that people change a lot as they get into adulthood, and relationships don't usually survive those changes. Ask him if he really wants to commit himself to the relationship, or if it's just a fling. If it's the latter, maybe he should look for someone a little bit older.

At any rate, he shouldn't be having sex with her. Someone else said it's legal, but I'm not sure that it is. It may be different in different states, but I believe that Florida has a rule about minors needing to be within 3 years of age of each other. (That's for those over 12. I'm pretty sure that 12 and under is verbotten.) And legal or no, it wouldn't be right for him to take advantage of someone that young.

What do her parents think about her dating him?

Jeslek

Banned
Age of consent is 14 in Canada. I know, because there has been a push to raise it to 16. Basically, you can do anything that a person aged 14 and over consent to, without fear of being prosecuted. The exception to this rule is if there is less than two years of age difference, in the case of 13 and 15, which is legal. Also, no anal sex (don't ask my why they include this), and no relationship of trust, dependency, or authority may exist between the people, and no payment is allowed.

I know because um, I've talked last Friday about this to a coworker... err, don't ask.

ipmoof

My mate started dating this little girl when he was 19 and she was 14. They have only just broken up - she is 16 and he is 21.

Bizarrely it was based almost 100% on sex.

ipmoof

Yeah, I know. We couldn't even go to see 15-rated films with him for a while, not to mention numerous pubs, clubs & bars...

75renegade

Nixy said:
At 17 you want sex (I am almost 19, at 17 I wanted sex) at 13 you are too young for sex.

so what about "19", hee hee!:D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
75renegade said:
Nixy said:

so what about "19", hee hee!:D

You mean do I want sex at 19?

HELL YEAH!

:D