building a home

kuulani

The guy at HPM is drawing up our plans. But we'll keep William in mind when we need a contractor (which is soon).

...but that means you'll have to keep being nice to him until after our house is done. Is that doable ;)

Dweeb

That sounds really fun. I would look at some home plan sites/magazines for some ideas. Good luck with that!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
kuulani said:
*update*

the hubby & i were just pre-approved for a loan ... now all we're waiting for is the slow-ass draftsman to finish drawing up our plans so we can bid them out to contractors :D
wow, nice! You guys must be so excited! :D

MrBishop

Remember when drawing up your plans that walls have a certain thickness. Prof and I saw a place designed by someone who forgot all about the thickness of walls... smallest f'n children's room I've ever seen in my life! Didn't that place burn down, Prof?

Professur

He was rebuilding one that had burned down. Rather than just rebuild, he tried to redesign the interior.

MrBishop

On the subject of plumbing - Make'em place the hot water tank close to where the main water comes in from the city. Split it just before the hot water tank...then run the pipes next to each other throughout the house. Make sure that they place the joints/curves where they are easily accesseable..that's where leaks happen. Make sure they don't hold the pipes in place with nails or any metal straps other than copper (if that's what your pipes are made of)...material works best. If they use bent nails (like they did at my place) you can look forward to leaks and the joy of replacing sections of piping after your house has been built.
If you're thinking of wiring your house up for sound in the future...have them lay the cables ahead of time...it's cheaper than trying it after the walls are in place. Same goes for networking. They can run actual cable or pull-cords alongside your electric wiring when installing.

Good luck!

MrBishop

Professur said:
He was rebuilding one that had burned down. Rather than just rebuild, he tried to redesign the interior.

Was that it...i still remember that room that was so small that not even a twin bed would fit into it.

Professur

Bish ... that's something we like to call "code". Anything else won't pass inspection. What you have at home is called Botch. It's what happens after inspection.

Professur

MrBishop said:
Was that it...i still remember that room that was so small that not even a twin bed would fit into it.

That was a closet. He hadn't finished the walls yet.

BTW, they split, and sold it to a contractor, who ripped out the interior (what little was done) and redid it right.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
MrBishop said:
On the subject of plumbing - Make'em place the hot water tank close to where the main water comes in from the city. Split it just before the hot water tank...then run the pipes next to each other throughout the house. Make sure that they place the joints/curves where they are easily accesseable..that's where leaks happen. Make sure they don't hold the pipes in place with nails or any metal straps other than copper (if that's what your pipes are made of)...material works best. If they use bent nails (like they did at my place) you can look forward to leaks and the joy of replacing sections of piping after your house has been built.
If you're thinking of wiring your house up for sound in the future...have them lay the cables ahead of time...it's cheaper than trying it after the walls are in place. Same goes for networking. They can run actual cable or pull-cords alongside your electric wiring when installing.

Good luck!

Your ouse was probably built as part of a subdivision...nobody really watching other than the necessary inspections. When someone is building one house for a specific family though they're generally more careful because the people paying them are the people whoa re gonna live there and they will know where to find the contractor.

MrBishop

Nixy said:
Your ouse was probably built as part of a subdivision...nobody really watching other than the necessary inspections. When someone is building one house for a specific family though they're generally more careful because the people paying them are the people whoa re gonna live there and they will know where to find the contractor.

...providing that the contractor doesn't 'vanish' by going bankrupt and reapearing under another name. Something which happened to my Dad not 3 months ago, with the people who were supposed to lay down his new driveway.

Botch as in Botched, Prof? Yeah...they fuckin' botched it up lemme tell you!

Wonder who paid off the inspector to look the other way?

MrBishop

Professur said:
That was a closet. He hadn't finished the walls yet.

BTW, they split, and sold it to a contractor, who ripped out the interior (what little was done) and redid it right.

Shame about the split-up. I did like the sunken living room though :)

nalani

kuulani said:
The guy at HPM is drawing up our plans. But we'll keep William in mind when we need a contractor (which is soon).

...but that means you'll have to keep being nice to him until after our house is done. Is that doable ;)

hmmm... i think i can ... if he keeps being nice to me ;)

kuulani

Tell me about it!!

We're still waiting for the county to get off their asses and give us our building permit. We've been waiting since April.

There were some problems with the septic tank design or some "shit" like that ;) and we had to redraw the plans, blahblahblah.

We got the loan, we got the contractor, we got everything except that damn permit *gr*