Bill Cosby is in deep

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
shit. The problem is, everybody is assuming he meant only blacks.

The Washington Post

May 21, 2004

Bill Cosby was anything but politically correct in his remarks at a Constitution Hall bash in Washington commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Brown vs. Board of Education decision. To everyone's astonishment, laughter and applause, Cosby mocked everything from urban fashion to black spending and speaking habits.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal," he said Monday night. "These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids - $500 sneakers for what?

"And they won't spend $200 for 'Hooked on Phonics.' ...

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English," he said. "I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't.' 'Where you is.' ... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. ... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

When Cosby finally concluded, Howard University President H. Patrick Swygert, NAACP President Kweisi Mfume and NAACP legal defense fund head Theodore Shaw came to the podium looking stone-faced. Shaw told the crowd that most people on welfare are not African-American, and many of the problems his organization has addressed in the black community were not self-inflicted.
Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc.

A.B.Normal

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English," he said. "I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't.' 'Where you is.' ... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. ... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

I seem to remember in his Fat Albert cartoon there were a few character whom weren't exactly role models in the speaking english department.:alienhuh:

Winky

fatalbert.jpg

Mushmouth rocked
Billy's right about this.

Spunky

I'm sitting on the fence here, He's an entertainer, not a politician, He has the right to opinions but that function wasn't the best place to voice them.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
shit. The problem is, everybody is assuming he meant only blacks.
Your right about that. I notice they aren't offended when Chris Rock says substantially the same thing.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Washington Post said:
Bill Cosby, Back by Popular Demand

• In fiery remarks last week in Washington, Bill Cosby took the black community to task for parental failures that he says have led to high dropout rates, crime and other social ills. After we published brief excerpts of his cultural critique -- delivered at a gala marking the 50th anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation ruling -- several readers called for more. Conservative broadcasters seized upon Cosby's remarks, but he was unrepentant in an interview yesterday with The Post's Hamil Harris: "Do I not make a move to speak to the people that I love?" he said.

He plans to continue preaching his tough gospel, which was motivated, he said, by District Police Chief Charles Ramsey, who earlier this year called on the community to do a better job of parenting.

NAACP Executive Director Kweisi Mfume said he agreed with "most of what Cosby said" and hugged him after the speech. "He said what needed to be said," Mfume said.

"I was talking to the movers and shakers," Cosby emphasized yesterday. Here's more Cos, as tape-recorded by Harris Monday night:

"I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol? And where is the father? . . .

"The church is only open on Sunday and you can't keep asking Jesus to do things for you. You can't keep saying that God will find a way. God is tired of you," Cosby declared to loud applause.

"I wasn't there when God was saying it, I am making this up, but it sounds like what God would say. In all of this work we can not blame white people. White people don't live over there; they close up the shop early. The Korean ones don't know us well enough, so they stay open 24 hours."

On fashion: "People putting their clothes on backwards: Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong? . . . People with their hats on backwards, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something, or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up to the crack and got all type of needles [piercings] going through her body? What part of Africa did this come from? Those people are not Africans; they don't know a damn thing about Africa.

"With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail. Brown versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem. We have got to take the neighborhood back. We have to go in there -- forget about telling your child to go into the Peace Corps -- it is right around the corner. They are standing on the corner and they can't speak English."

On sports heroes: "Basketball players -- multimillionaires -- can't write a paragraph. Football players -- multimillionaires -- can't read. Yes, multimillionaires. Well, Brown versus Board of Education: Where are we today? They paved the way, but what did we do with it? That white man, he's laughing. He's got to be laughing: 50 percent drop out, the rest of them are in prison."

On teenage sex: "Five, six children -- same woman -- eight, 10 different husbands or whatever. Pretty soon you are going to have DNA cards to tell who you are making love to. You don't know who this is. It might be your grandmother. I am telling you, they're young enough! Hey, you have a baby when you are 12; your baby turns 13 and has a baby. How old are you? Huh? Grandmother! By the time you are 12 you can have sex with your grandmother, you keep those numbers coming. I'm just predicting. . . .

"What is it -- young girls getting after a girl who wants to remain a virgin? Who are these sick black people and where do they come from and why haven't they been parented to shut up? This is a sickness, ladies and gentlemen."

Sharky

NAACP Executive Director Kweisi Mfume said he agreed with "most of what Cosby said" and hugged him after the speech. "He said what needed to be said," Mfume said.

OK, I'll back off Mfume a little bit. But I still don't like professional activists.

What part of Africa did this come from? Those people are not Africans; they don't know a damn thing about Africa.

:headbang:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I don't understand why this is even an issue. As for Bill Cosby's credentials, most of you seem to see him as only an entertainer. He happens to have a Master's degree in education. Don't hate the messenger if you have a problem with the message. ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
I don't understand why this is even an issue. As for Bill Cosby's credentials, most of you seem to see him as only an entertainer. He happens to have a Master's degree in education. Don't hate the messenger if you have a problem with the message. ;)
Good point. I forgot about that too. I agree with the message already though.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

"Let them talk," he said.

Talking about the liberal press, maybe? :grinyes:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
When he mentioned children having children, one person applauded. When he said the quote Gato presented, the whole place applauded. Racism 2004.

HomeLAN

While they're appluading him now, they'll eventually bite him in the ass. Complete honesty doesn't play well with the agendas of the Jesse Jacksons and the Al Sharptons, and total honesty is exactly what Bill is dishing out. They can't nail him for it yet, but wait for it.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
Talking about the liberal press, maybe? :grinyes:
I've noticed from time to time that the "liberals" are occasionally as prejudiced as the Klan. Ebonics springs to mind.

Thulsa Doom

HomeLAN said:
While they're appluading him now, they'll eventually bite him in the ass. Complete honesty doesn't play well with the agendas of the Jesse Jacksons and the Al Sharptons

Actually I think Jesse Jackson officially stated he agreed with the general premise of what Cosby said. Of course Jesse Jackson AND Bill Cosby both fathered children with other women while married. Does this make them hypocrites or two people in perfect position to actually bring up these topics because theyve been there done that. Not too sure myself...

The real question is does Bill Cosby make more of an impact with the black community by portraying himself as a successful upper middle class doctor on the most successful sitcom on TV in the 80s or as a cantankerous tell it like it is old man who says the things so many other blacks have kept inside for so long (and so many whites clearly)? Personally I like both approaches although the latter feels better. But the former probably has a much better effect.