Bill Cosby is in deep

Winky

Jess.jpg

Gonz said:
What better place?

Hey, hey, hey. Maybe with Jesse Jackson at a recent appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference? Better place or no, he went ahead with it:

(http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=\SpecialReports\archive\200407\SPE20040702a.html)

...Cosby bristled at any notion that he should tone down his views so they will not be taken out of context and exploited.

"I couldn't care less about what white people think about me at this time," he said to loud applause.

"Let them talk! What are they saying that is different from what their grandfather said? What are they doing or trying to do to us that their grandfathers didn't try to do to us? But what is different is what we are doing to ourselves," Cosby said.

White people?? Loud applause?? Coz--whutchootalkinbout?

Cosby also took on the pop culture of music, movies and television.

"When you put on a record, and that record is yelling 'nigger this' and 'nigger that' and cursing all over the thing and you got your little six-year-old and seven-year-old sitting in the back seat of the car -- those children hear that. And I am telling you when you put it the CD on and then you get up and dance to it -- What are you saying to your children?" he asked.

Are you talking about being a good role model for the kiddies?

"I am talking about profanity. I am talking about cursing at each other like it's something hip, like it's something that's right. I am talking about people calling each other a name that there are still -- if DNA goes to the Mississippi River-- you are gong to find African blood in there, dead from being called nigger and then hacking them," he added.

An emotional Jesse Jackson told the crowd on Thursday that many in the media have tried to exploit Cosby's words and divide the black community, but Jackson said it would not work.

Earlier in the week, Jackson said, "Our people agree with Bill...Bill took it to another level. His point was to lift up and not tear down," he added.

Jackson added more, saying:

"One thing I know, negroes can drive cars fast. I mean, we go through red lights, even drive at night with our lights off. We can drive cars fast," he asserted from the podium.

(http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=\SpecialReports\archive\200407\SPE20040701a.html)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
TD said:
Does this make them hypocrites

I am getting so sick of this word being bantered about. Usually out of place & incorrectly. A hypocrit is one who professes the ideology of "Do as I say, not as I do". In this case, it certainly looks like Reverend Jesse Jackson may fall into that camp. I don't know the facts about Cosby's illegitimate child(ren) but if it's far enough in the past it would certainly lean more toward the teachers creed "Do as I say, not as I did". He has a strong history of family and has used his fame & power to create positive role models. I'd allow my son to watch Dr Huxtable's clan on the TV but not to listen to Ice T, both of whom I like.

Jackson said:
One thing I know, negroes can drive cars fast. I mean, we go through red lights, even drive at night with our lights off. We can drive cars fast.

Imagine had Gov Schwarzenegger had said that.