2001 Ford F150

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I still quite figure out why anyone would WANT a van. I mean, I understand that with kids/dogs/etc they are convenient and they are the most realistic option for some people. But, really, how is a van anyone's "dream vehicle"?

Inkara1

Maybe a van is the vehicle best suited to someone's needs, and that someone dreams of having one vehicle that can do everything needed.

GrandCaravanSE

I still quite figure out why anyone would WANT a van. I mean, I understand that with kids/dogs/etc they are convenient and they are the most realistic option for some people. But, really, how is a van anyone's "dream vehicle"?

Well they make the best sleeper vehicals.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well they make the best sleeper vehicals.

Well, I guess if one is buying a vehicle to sleep in...but other than people without a home (who likely wouldn't be buying a vehicle after they became homeless...so unless they were planning to one day be homeless when they bought the van...) who would be sleeping in their vehicle?

Professur

Put three siblings into a sedan .... and you'll soon discover that vehicles appear in your dreams .... either as wet dreams or nightmares. Ask SL about the seating config I used on my last trip south.

GC, no, you wouldn't want the caravan AWD. The straight caravan had a nightmare tranny ... the awd was worse.

Inkara1

It's amazing what a difference using the correct transmission fluid would make on those Caravan transmissions. ATF+3 (ATF+4 is newer and an OK substitute), not Mercon, Dextron or any other fluid.

GrandCaravanSE

It's amazing what a difference using the correct transmission fluid would make on those Caravan transmissions. ATF+3 (ATF+4 is newer and an OK substitute), not Mercon, Dextron or any other fluid.

Yea all they have a advanced auto parts is the +4 but it works.

Well, I guess if one is buying a vehicle to sleep in...but other than people without a home (who likely wouldn't be buying a vehicle after they became homeless...so unless they were planning to one day be homeless when they bought the van...) who would be sleeping in their vehicle?

i ment for racing, who would consider a mini van being faster than an Muscle car, or a import ricer.

Professur

OK, for those keeping track, the Grand Caravan I bought for $400 a couple of months back is now toast. Alternator has been wonky for the last couple of drives home (was fine on the way to work) but this morning, it went totally tits up. At least that's the story the guages on the dash tell. I'll stick my head under the hood tonight to confirm, but it looks like I'm gonna be trading it in on a set of winter tires for the Mirage.

GrandCaravanSE

OK, for those keeping track, the Grand Caravan I bought for $400 a couple of months back is now toast. Alternator has been wonky for the last couple of drives home (was fine on the way to work) but this morning, it went totally tits up. At least that's the story the guages on the dash tell. I'll stick my head under the hood tonight to confirm, but it looks like I'm gonna be trading it in on a set of winter tires for the Mirage.

That sucks, if you lived any closer to me i would have bouth it for $250.

Not everyone dreams of having a car to race it.

I knwo but i was watching "Pinks" last night and there was a 1997 Chevy Astro van, that i think won the event. plus you would be very surprised how many differnt engins you can fit in most vans.

Professur

If you want to bring a spare alt up with you by bus, I'll hold it for ya. But I'm fucked if I'm gonna put myself out for a vehicle that was only bought to give me time to fix another car anyhow.

GrandCaravanSE

Dunno. I don't need one heading your way.... yet.

I'll look it up if i don't i might consider it on the X-mas break.

*Edit i need one to get back into the US but not going into Canada.

I'll pass Professur i don't want to go through the hassle of getting one.

GrandCaravanSE

It costs nothing to dream.

I may need it after all Professur. well on sunday i went down to Chicago with my dad and my two brothers (4)(15) we had alot of fun, we went to Maceys, and to the ESPN Zone, after that we had something to eat at the Hardrock Cafe. we headed to fox lake were the train stops and were my van was. we drove home, and on the way home there are some serious potholes i tryed top avoid them but ofcourse i hit the biggest one in the road, the only way to avoid it was to go off the road. well i hit it and i felt someting either fall off or clunk around, i though that it was just ice. so i get home and the van just shuts off, i try to restart it but nothing. i look underneath and i don't see a flywheel connceted to the starter. well to shorten this up the Torque Converter is shot, witch made the the flywheel not be in the right spot. good thing i still have the warrenty from AAMCO so i am safe.