2001 Ford F150

kuulani

Is $6k a good deal for a 2001 Ford F150 with 150,000 miles?

The owner says that the company he did a job for is going under and couldnt afford his $6k bill, so they paid him with this truck. He doesnt want the truck, so he's selling it for $6k.

The body is good, the engine is good. The mileage is the only thing that I'm wondering about.

Wadd'ya guys think?

H2O boy

4 wheel drive or not?

i dont know where you live so there is no way to tell if you have to worry about road salt damage or a lot of other potential problems

try ebay motors or local dealership websites. you will get a more accurate estimate for your location from a local dealers site

of course in the end analysis it comes down to, is it worth 6K to you?

Inkara1

My Dad has a 2001 F-150, so I went to the Kelley Blue Book site and configured it for my zip code. His is a two-wheel drive, standard bed, extended cab, Lariat trim level, 2WD, 4.6L V8, about 110,000 miles. With the various options it has (leather seats, power windows, remote keyless entry, power sliding rear window, power adjustable pedals, etc.), KBB says "private party value" is $6,565. I don't know any details about your friend's F-150 (engine, cab, bed, options, etc.). I ran my dad's identical truck with 150,000 miles instead of 110,000 and it came out to $6,140.

So, without knowing all the options, engine, etc. of the truck, I don't know if $6,000 is totally right but it doesn't seem like it's that far off the mark. I'm also not sure how much of a difference being in Hawaii would make compared to being in California.

Professur

Two questions. What kind of work, and what kind of cab.

If it was hauling drywall, that's no strain. If it was hauling bricks .... treat the mileage as double.

GrandCaravanSE

A few things to think about, if it was a work truck chances are that it was beat on. another thing is it Regular gas, or diesel? considering that diesel gas is way more expensive $6000 may not be a deal. same as the porfessuer said about the hauling, and the cab size. also check all the fluids, and look for rust under the truck.

kuulani

I'm not sure what kind of work truck it is, I'll check with the hubby ... but it does have 4-wheel - and the guy said the truck was used mostly on the highway, so it shouldn't be too beat up from 4-wheeling. It's not diesel either.

We're waiting for the guy to call back so that we can go check out the body. My hubby and I aren't mechanics, so we'll have to take the guy's word that the engine is good.

na - the kids can drive the ugly white ranger around the compound ... that's good enough for practice LOL

Inkara1

Does it have seven lug nuts on each wheel instead of five? If so, it's an F-150 "7700" which is closer to being an F250 and an F150 as far as load carrying capacity. That would make a difference in value. (I have no idea why they chose to do seven lug nuts instead of eight, but there you go.)

GrandCaravanSE

Does it have seven lug nuts on each wheel instead of five? If so, it's an F-150 "7700" which is closer to being an F250 and an F150 as far as load carrying capacity. That would make a difference in value. (I have no idea why they chose to do seven lug nuts instead of eight, but there you go.)

I have always wondered that my self.

kuulani

Well I think we lost out on the truck. My husband called several times yesterday and the guy wasn't answering :disgust2:

kuulani

*sigh* But $6k was something we could afford ... and we need a 4x4 truck that fits our family of four [/whine]

Inkara1

I've seen AWD vans but an AWD system is different than a 4WD system. I do believe the Astro had an AWD version for a while, but Chevy doesn't make ANY Astro van anymore. It's been discontinued for a few years... after being basically the same van from 1985 through 2005 or so.

GrandCaravanSE

I've seen AWD vans but an AWD system is different than a 4WD system. I do believe the Astro had an AWD version for a while, but Chevy doesn't make ANY Astro van anymore. It's been discontinued for a few years... after being basically the same van from 1985 through 2005 or so.

Oh sorry, i ment to put AWD, i believe that Dodge has an AWD Caravan, they may not make it any more but i know they did.