Windows OneCare

PostCode

Major contributor!
Microsoft has a Beta program going now for its future anti-virus/backup program. I took it for a test drive but had to uninstall it because it absolutely refused to allow me access to any and all USB storage devices.

I first had to uninstall Norton, which I am in the process of re-installing now, but the install for OneCare is over the Internet. Another downfall and unfortunate future of software. I can't see people paying for a service that they have to install over the Internet. Anyway, after installing the system actually booed much faster with it rather than Norton installed. That surprised me because it used more RAM than Norton did. I guess Microsoft is still hiding some of those API functions from developers...

Well, in the end it just had to go. If I attached any USB storage device the system just stopped responding. I waited for a good 10-15 one time but finally gave up and rebooted using the power button. That's how unresponsive it became. With no USB device attached it was fine. Well, I have a tremendous amount of data on external USB drives that I need access to so this program ended about an hour after starting it for me.

A.B.Normal

I wonder if that would apply to USB card readers or Digital cameras too,that be a huge screw up if people can't get their pics from their cameras.

Professur

A.B.Normal said:
I wonder if that would apply to USB card readers or Digital cameras too,that be a huge screw up if people can't get their pics from their cameras.

It's from Micro$oft. The huge screw up begins with the install.

PostCode

Major contributor!
True, but I gotta test this stuff. If a customer has it then I gotta at least have some clue about the product.