What's up with the RW?!?

Professur

i want it clearly understood that banishing TRW was not my intent, nor was I consulted in any way ... but I applaud the decision and frankly am glad to see the end of that festering litter box and it's constant cat fights. Good riddance to it.

I would point out that today, there are only 2 active threads, one of them being the discussion of the TRW's condition. Speaks volumes about the future of this site, no?

MrBishop

That's changed somewhat since this morning.
I was wondering what was up with the kitten thread...a wee bit too much puff/puff/pass.

Now...with RW gone..how long until the other forums become RW-ish? I'm taking bets!

ResearchMonkey

i want it clearly understood that banishing TRW was not my intent, nor was I consulted in any way ... but I applaud the decision and frankly am glad to see the end of that festering litter box and it's constant cat fights. Good riddance to it.

I would point out that today, there are only 2 active threads, one of them being the discussion of the TRW's condition. Speaks volumes about the future of this site, no?
Interesting perspective.

Professur

RJ, and everyone else: I make no bones about my opinions, particularly here. Anyone with less than 10% of their posts outside the RW is a self-serving git that this place could well do without. That's not the opinion of the owner of this board. It's not the consensus opinion of the staff. That's my opinion. The only thing I hate more is that I, personally, was unable to cut that trend off. I've invited dozens of people to join here, but after one day's lurking, they decided it wasn't worth it. We got a couple of old-timers from OCN on here, where are they now?

anyone here to contribute to the board as a whole, regardless of affiliation, is a good member in my book. Someone just looking to pick a fight needs to be elsewhere, regardless of the loss.

OK, well it's also obvious that I am rarely honest and never speak my mind huh? I'll have to work on that! Thanks for the heads up!

You know as I see it, the troubles with me start and end with me sharing honest accounts of my odd and often less than admirable past life on here. Honestly recounting some of the madness I have lived in, and what I have done to change a lot of that. So therefore once a scumbag always a scumbag right? I have found almost nothing but malice for being honest about life and how I see it. You'd think I'd learn it's wholly unappreciated, but well I guess I am just one seriously stupid fucker!

ResearchMonkey

RJ, and everyone else: I make no bones about my opinions, particularly here. Anyone with less than 10% of their posts outside the RW is a self-serving git that this place could well do without. That's not the opinion of the owner of this board. It's not the consensus opinion of the staff. That's my opinion. The only thing I hate more is that I, personally, was unable to cut that trend off. I've invited dozens of people to join here, but after one day's lurking, they decided it wasn't worth it. We got a couple of old-timers from OCN on here, where are they now?
When I first arrived here at OTC I played in the RW before it was wrecking hall. I also attempted to participate in a number of other thread where and it was somewhat difficult not being a part of the clic. As my politics came to be known there were poster who chose to not interact and were consistantly dismissive and rude outside of TRW. Some were nasty as snakes in any thread I posted in; MsAnnThrope, Squiggy, A13 immediately come to mind.
  • A very few made an effort, BoP was one who reached out to me often and I appreciated it.
  • Les and I have always disagreed on most anything political and yet we had, at one point, a nice relationship.
  • Even markjs, ... Mark and I, who are both in recovery, talked quite a bit, we got along well and then we'd put on our gladiator underwear and hit the RW.
  • Minx, whom I adore, have had our moments of unspoken bromancing.

I don't drink, haven't in 14 years so I don't post much in drinking threads. I don't really participate in music threads becuase I don't find them very interesting. I do not follow sports at all, i do not watch TV. About ~1/2 of the time I've been here at OTC I've been advancing my education and I don't really follow social thread because I haven't had the time to enjoy such luxuries myself. There is a clic, which you see by looking across a few separate webistes, which still to this day I feel I am being invasive in certain threads, so I avoid posting in them knowing the stigma attached to me. I used to enjoy some of the art and photography threads, at that time I didn't have any skills myself but enjoyed looking. I guess I may not fit your ideal posting profile.

As for OCN? I re-registered at OCN as RM at #71 and had lost my original log-in in the ~#30's (KingOf5). Winky is here so is minx, and a number of the others from several other forums, jjr512, XiBase, that once stood together as OCNSeti. A few can still be found a shallow port still crunching numbers. I still hear from TN once in while and he occasionally still post over at MacNN.

anyone here to contribute to the board as a whole, regardless of affiliation, is a good member in my book. Someone just looking to pick a fight needs to be elsewhere, regardless of the loss.
I guess I do not meet your standards of a "good member" because my contributions do not meet your standard therefore must not have any value. I would also have to assume that this is your kind way of telling me to leave becuase you do not value anything I might have to offer.

I guess as long only one side is being obtuse there is no issue, it takes two to quarrel. Believe me, there are ample places on the internet where I could fight unbridled without even picking one. I choose not to participate at those sites where there is zero accountability nor sense of community.

Fact is, there is a constantly heated political debate, there always has been. Million's of people have died over differences of political ideologies over the ages. More recently people have been beaten-up and even fingers bitten off here in the US. One does not need to look very far to find a heated political debate, and nearby you will find someone demanding everyone just get along.

Your recent postings are informative and reflect your position fairly clearly. So let me ask you a single question. If you were in a position of real power, how would you rule?

Cerise

jimpeel's sig is predictive:

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis

Professur

If you were in a position of real power, how would you rule?

As I did when Nixy blackmailed me into taking a mod slot once before .... exclusively according to the AUP. The one time I reached for the ban button, I personally felt that the person I was about to ban was the one wronged. If I'd gone with my personal feelings, Gonz would have taken a time out. He'd provoked the situation ... but even tho I understood, she was the one who crossed the line and was gone. He'd stayed just inside the line. Since then, he's proven to be quite expert at dancing on the line

Damned religion!

Interesting philosophy. I guess the truth outs when they're not signing the paycheque anymore.

ResearchMonkey

. The one time I reached for the ban button, I personally felt that the person I was about to ban was the one wronged. If I'd gone with my personal feelings, Gonz would have taken a time out. He'd provoked the situation ... but even tho I understood, she was the one who crossed the line and was gone. He'd stayed just inside the line. Since then, he's proven to be quite expert at dancing on the line......

Interesting, so you were about to ban someone because he came close to crossing the line in your judgment. You allowed them to proceed and discovered that in the long run....they did in fact value. -- I am glad you barely avoided a big mistake in this single case.

Yes, I do find that very interesting.

Actually though Prof., I meant REAL power, say you're the new king of Norway. How would you rule over the unwashed masses beneath you? Would you find the phrase " good riddance" to be handy under your rule?

You see I am confused with what I have read. You seem to be quite happy with the results you didn't want to happen. Although you also seem to have some insights that I have not. The only communication I have had is "you'll get over it :)"

Which is true, I accept the actions of others is not something I can control. However, I find it odd that inside jokes are placed upon me, ones that make people giggle and yet I'm suppose to be unaware of it. -- It does confuse me. I'm told insulting people is bad-- but that only seems matters if the object of disaffection knows about it.

very nice.