Web Browsers

pc_builder

I just wanted to know what your thoughts on them were.

Which ones have you tried?
Which ones do you like?
Which ones do you hate?
...How many are there?

I have 4 installed on my computer right now.
The ever present IE
Firefox, my standby
Google Chrome, my new favorite
Safari (windows version), just because I was curious about apple's browser

And I know about Opera. I think I tried it once... but I don't remember what I thought of it.

Edit: Well just for the heck of it, I got Opera. Now I just have to use it a bit. :)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I use Firefox at home. I have to use IE at work and I hate it. Safari is good (I have a mac) but I was already used to Firefox and since I don't deal with change well I decided to stick with a browser I knew when I got the mac (for now at least).

Professur

I use FireFox for the most part, just to get away from the IE interface. Wasn't really happy with the New Firefox interface either. I'll use Opera for any slower machine with a dialup connection, tho. It's much quicker, if not as nice to use.

tonksy

I use IE, have used firefox. I don't really have a preference.
I am annoyed at all the security "features" for IE..what is it now? 7? It seems much more cautious than the previous version.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I've tried: IE, netscape, mosaic, konqueror, epiphany, lynx, opera, mozilla and firefox.
I currently use/like firefox, and occasionally lynx.
I hate: IE and konqueror.

Dave

I use IE and Chrome.
I like Chrome better than IE, but I don't hate IE.
Haven't tried any other browsers.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
IE (main), Firefox & Opera. I haven't seen sufficient reason to much use the aternatives.

JJR512

I was perfectly happy with IE6. I liked the tabs in IE7 but wasn't too thrilled with the way most of the rest of the interface was simplified/dumbed down. I like a menu bar with menus on it that you open up to access commands. That's what I'm used to.

When I switched to Mac (because Microsoft's photo uploader tool wouldn't install or work on Microsoft's browser to upload photos to Microsoft's photo sharing site), by default I became a Safari user.

I had tried Safari on my PC. After I installed it, it wouldn't ever launch. It never once ran on my PC.

I had tried Firefox and Opera on my PC a few years earlier. I had installed them mainly to see that websites I built looked fine on other non-IE browsers. I was never impressed with anything else to take up using anything else on a regular basis.

I have Firefox on my Mac. I installed it when I had some trouble logging into Microsoft Hotmail/Live in Safari (after putting in my email address and password, it would get into a never-ending repeating loop bouncing around some login verification URLs). I originally had 2.something and upgraded to 3.0 when it came out. As with IE vs. everything else on PC, I have not been sufficiently impressed with Firefox to try to change my habit of launching Safari to launching Firefox.

If there was a version of IE for Mac that looked and felt just like the PC version, that might be a difficult decision for me. But I think that after half a year or so of having a Mac, I'm probably sufficiently enough used to Safari that I'd stick with it.

So, I use Safari for Mac.

Inkara1

Microsoft quit making IE for the Mac after version 5. Version 5 runs on OS9, to give you an idea of how old it is.