Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price

jimpeel

Wal-Mart seems to have a knack for having their employees make doantions while the owners like to hold onto their money.

If you were any more full of shit you would explode like a gigantic shit bomb. You just post things to see it in print and you don't care what you say or how truthful it is as long as it sounds good to your addled brain.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
If every associate sent the family one dollar the family would be millionaires.

They need the money more than the Walton family needs it, wouldn't you say? How hard can it be to deny oneself that $1 bag of plastic cat toys on aisle 139 and help a commerade in need? Maybe if enough employees would stick together this bunch of greedy so-and-sos might have to actually DO some charitable deeds instead of just claiming them.

But hey, what do I know right?

jimpeel

Holy fuckin' rubbers! Am I the only one who reads the posts here -- including the people who write them?

SnP -- that would be the same SnP who wrote the opposing contention HERE to his own original contention HERE in which he stated:

I personally would have LOVED to have seen WalMart employees voluntarily send this family a buck each to cover what the Walton family was seeking to recoup. I'm sure they got 400,000 employees. But if it had happened, WalMart probably woulda fired 'em for it. Fuggin greedy bastards.

I stated that due to the fact that Wal-Mart has 1.3 million employees the family would be millionaires if his "LOVED to have seen" had come true.

Somehow, in the addled world of OTC, the "LOVED to have seen" suddenly became MY contention. Holy shit! What a bunch of dunces gather in this place! Learn to read and most of all learn to read what you write yourselves.

The Walton family does a hell of a lot more for charities than any employer of any of the people who gather here. It sounds good to accuse them of doing nothing and claiming that the charities they help is through nothing more than their store's contributions with no prersonal effort or contribution of their own.

jimpeel

http://www.galeschools.com/grant_goldmine/foundations/walton_foundation.htm

Walton Family Foundation, Inc.
Source: Foundation Reporter

Giving Contact
Buddy Philpot, Director
PO Box 2030
Bentonville, AR 72712 USA
Phone: (479)464-1570
Fax: (501)464-1580

Donor Information
Founder: Established in 1987 by Sam M. Walton, founder of Wal-Mart Stores, one of the largest retailers in the country. Walton became a management trainee at JC Penny in 1940, and by 1945 was running his own franchise Ben Franklin store in Newport, AR, managing nine stores by 1959. In 1962, he opened his own discount store, Wal-Mart Discount City, in Rogers, AR. In 1992, there were over 1,650 Wal-Marts and 200 Sam's Wholesale Clubs nationwide. Sam Walton died in April 1992.

Helen Robson Walton, the late Sam Walton's wife, and her four children, S. Robson, James C., John T., and Alice L., all serve as directors of the Walton Family Foundation. Additionally, Helen R. Walton and the four Walton children serve as trustees of the Walton Foundation and the Sam M. and Helen R. Walton Foundation.

Financial Summary
TOTAL GIVING: $96,930,923 (2001); $52,379,873 (2000); $50,192,310 (1998)

GIVING ANALYSIS: Giving for 2001 includes: foundation grants to United Way ($160,500) 1998: foundation grants to United Way ($132,000)

ASSETS: $948,658,074 (2001); $973,255,920 (2000); $547,887,222 (1998)

GIFTS RECEIVED: $44,907 (2001); $77,837,844 (1998); $589,131 (1996). NOTE: In 1998, and 2000 contributions were received from the Helen R. Walton Nonqualified Charitable Trust and in 2000 contributions were received from Walton Enterprises, LLC. In 2001, contributions were received from John T. Walton ($36,747) and Walton Enterprises, LLC ($8,160).

Foundation Officials
Stewart T. Springfield: director.

Alice Louise Walton: director. BORN: Newport, AR 1949. EDUCATION: Trinity University BBA (1971). CORPORATE EMPLOYER: president, chief executive officer, chairman: Llama Co./Llama Asset Management Co. CORPORATE AFFILIATION: director: Walton Enterprises Inc.; director: Arvest Bank Group Inc. NONPROFIT AFFILIATION: director: United Way Pillars Club; director: Walton Arts Center Council; chairperson: Northwest Arkansas Council; director: Easter Seals Soc-Arkansan Year.

Helen Robson Walton: don, director. BORN: Claremore, OK 1918. EDUCATION: University of Oklahoma BS (1941). CORPORATE EMPLOYER: vice president, treasurer: Walton Enterprises Inc. CORPORATE AFFILIATION: director: Arvest Bank Group Inc.

James C. Walton: director. BORN: 1948. CORPORATE EMPLOYER: president: Walton Enterprises Inc. ADDITIONAL CORPORATE EMPLOYER: president: Walton Enterprises II. CORPORATE AFFILIATION: chairman: TRH Bank Group Inc.; chairman: Weekly Vista; chairman: Springdale Bank & Trust; chairman: Security National Bank; chairman: Siloam Springs Bancshares Inc.; chairman: Ozark Living; chairman: Ozark Neighbor; chairman: First National Bank & Trust Co. Tulsa; chairman: McIlroy Bank & Trust; president, director: Farmers & Merchants Bank; chairman: First National Bank Rogers; director: Essick Air Products; chairman, director: Communication Publications Inc.; director: Corner Bookstore; chairman: Benton County Daily Record; director: Bolinger Valley Farm; chairman, president: Arvest Bank Group Inc.; director: Bank Bentonville.

John T. Walton: director. BORN: 1945. CORPORATE EMPLOYER: chairman: True North Partner LLC. CORPORATE AFFILIATION: director: Wal-Mart Stores Inc.; director: Walton Enterprises Inc.; director: Arvest Bank Group Inc.

S. Robson Walton: director. BORN: 1945. EDUCATION: University of Arkansas (1966); Columbia University JD (1969). CORPORATE EMPLOYER: chairman, director: Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. NONPROFIT AFFILIATION: trustee: Wooster College.

jimpeel

http://www.educationsector.org/usr_doc/CTDWalton.pdf

Big Box: How the Heirs of the Wal-Mart Fortune
Have Fueled the Charter School Movement

By Bryan C. Hassel and Thomas Toch

ABOUT THE SERIES

Education Sector’s Connecting the Dots series profiles individuals and organizations that are influencing the education policy landscape in important, but not always widely known, ways. Previous subjects in the series include Teach For America’s influential alumni network, the academic protégés of Harvard professor and school choice advocate Paul Peterson, and organizations receiving financial support from the National Education Association. Read them at www.educationsector.org.

[more]

2minkey

bootlicker
Holy shit! What a bunch of dunces gather in this place! Learn to read and most of all learn to read what you write yourselves.

yep, you're the smart one in a sea of idiots. perhaps there's a MENSA board you could post on, instead?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
*passes peel a nitro patch*

"They" being the family of the crippled lady, not the shelf stockers. Thought that would be apparent to anyone with minimal comprehension skills. Might be...

And when WalMart comes and demolishes the distribution center they built on top of a WONA battlefield, I'll listen to their claims about concerns for the community. Not until. When they distribute their monies for schools EVENLY between all schools instead of tripling the dole for some and leaving crumbs for the rest, I might listen. Not until.

Now go on your way. Aisle 224 is low on carpet stain remover.

catocom

what I'm getting at is did it really cost them anything, or are they just using the avenue?

If it's just the avenue, there are no boasting rights.
kinda tasteless anyway on that

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
They get tax write-offs like any corp.

But it does cost money, you have to hire people to make the donation, investigate the charities, etc. while it does not cost them $200 million, I am sure it costs them some money, maybe a million or 2.

They could just save that money, and pay the taxes straight.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Why? They just mark up the prices of the Taiwanese shit they peddle, like every other corporation does, and that covers it. WalMart don't give a damn thing away. They recoup. The sheeple standing 31 deep in line to BUY their cheap Taiwanese shit are actually making the charitable donation. Again, same as every other corporation.

Imagine if WalMart, as a corporation, decided to randomly select one item out of every 10 they stock, and raise the price of that item one cent. Just a penny more on 10% of what they sell. I personally could live comfortably off the interest on that money. Couple that with the way they tried to recoup their medical outlay on a crippled woman. Toss in the final ingredient...that damn smugness. Final result: Ain't shoppin there. You guys wanna keep peel in Raisin Bran and Depends, that's your business.

jimpeel

Wal-Mart supports the Childrens Miracle Network which has zero administrative costs. One hundred percent of the donations goes to the local hospitals. That is not to say that the hospitals don't have administrative costs of their own but it eliminates completely one level of bureaucracy.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Which has precisely squat to do with WalMart or any other corporation recouping their donations through jacked up prices. But don't let that stop you.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
sure they right it off, 0 admin costs means all money goes to the kids

walmart is like every other large corp. eveil and money hungry...

But...

I am not rich, and I need to stretch my dollar, and walmart lets me do that.