Vista Snapshots

PostCode

Major contributor!
I'm impressed by the boot up speed and overall operating system performance but this OS is going to be a real resource hog. Big time.

Here are a couple shots of the task manager after bootup.

task_manager_1.PNG

task_manager_2.PNG

You can see from the second that that new fancy feature from microsoft is installed...that really dumb desktop search thing. If you can't see it on the desktop, then how are you going to see it with that? Talk about an oximoron.

Anyways, the start menu is really fubar. I can't see this working at all since it only makes you dig...and dig...and dig for that executable. You see, the program menu open up in the start menu. It doesn't come up as a menu itself. It opens up the you have to go opening folders in the menu to find that program.....waste of time.

start_menu.PNG

And the Program Menu:

program_menu.PNG

Here's the control panel. I wonder how much stuff they are going to keep adding to this thing. Maybe a control panel 2 is in the works. Control Panel 1 is for A-K and Control Panel 2 is for L-Z?:

Also a new control....Parental Controls. Didn't mess with it because you can't set anything on the Administrator:

control_panel.PNG

And here's one last shot:

desktop.PNG

Notice C: drive. This is a default install....actually you have no choice at all what will or what will not be installed. It just installs. This is a 20GB drive and now have 13.6 left....whoooo. A 6 gig install?

As you may be able to see from the image type, Paint now saves files by default in .PNG format. Piffy.

Big drive, a bunch of ram and a fast proc and ok, you might have something. Limited hardware support at this stage but I'm sure the vendors will be writing bunk drivers soon enough so this thing will crash asap.

Also, one last thing, peer to peer networking is enabled by default....hacker heaven. :rolleyes:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Looks neat, too bad that the bootup speed will be inferior on the final release.

I noticed the puter has 1GB of RAM, what's the CPU?