Vermicomposting

tonksy

Anyone into this? We are contemplating a setup in our basement mudroom.
I'd appreciate insight.

BlurOfSerenity

no, but i too have wanted to get into that!

let me see if i can find the composting forum i saw a link to somewhere the other day...

hmm, there's vermiforum.com , and compostingforum.com , but neither are as popular as i thought they were :(

*camps out in this thread and waits for more answers too*

Inkara1

I had to look it up because I saw "vermi" and thought "vermin," as in mice or rats. Turns out it's what I've always known as just "composting." My parents have been doing that since before I was born. They'll take some concrete blocks or something, make the outer edges of a box/pen, then use that for the compost pile... the worms probably come up from the ground since the pen doesn't have a bottom other than the ground. They take coffee grounds, banana peels, egg shells, etc and dump it on the compost pile, which is also where greenwaste (grass clippings, etc.) goes. The worms break all that down, and then it gets used for fertilizer. When my dad tills the garden for the first time of the year, he'll till it once, then spread the compost over all of it, then till it again. I don't remember if they add any more compost over the course of the year or not.

If you were to do a self-enclosed setup in the mudroom, you'd probably have to buy worms or something because if worms can get in naturally, something's wrong. Also, I'd imagine sometimes the smell's not that great, although since the pile was always outside it was never an issue. But I imagine making a compost pile outside would violate some HOA rules.

tonksy

Yeah, we've been looking at enclosed composting "pens" and we'd buy red wigglers.
There are many kinds of composters you can buy. Many have layered trays for easy harvesting and a tap to drain off the excess liquid that can be used as fertilizer itself.

JTP has some interest in vermicomposting but I think he is out of town. I was hoping he could shed some light on the practice of doing it for one household. The school has a massive set up that the 5th grade handles....but that's like the difference between cooking for an army and cooking for your family - way different technique.

tonksy

It might actually improve the smell of my basement.

Actually, they make odor-free composters....well, until you open the lid. They do say that the smell is caused from one of 3 things:
1. Use of meat or dairy products in the composter
2. Excess water (hence the tap to drain it)
3. Too much acidic food in composter

tonksy

Worms are heat/cold sensitive.
We have a basement mud room, folks. Like an indoor garage?

Prof - You know damn well the issue with the basement.

JTP

Hey, Tonksy- what's a mudroom? Basement with dirt floor? I sent you a PM about my outdoor bins. I bring 'em in when it gets real cold. The first year I got sent out of town for a couple weeks. When I got back, one of the bins had gotten too dry and they escaped- so I had dried worms all over the carpet in that room. They taste a lot like jerky- just kidding! No, if you keep the bedding moist but not too wet, they won't leave. One sign you're putting in too much for them to eat is if you start getting odor or fruit flies. Bury the scraps deep in the bedding. Observation is the key. Healthy red wigglers have sort of an iridescence, and a good mucus membrane on their skin. They flip around like crazy when you touch 'em- they're doing fine. If they look dry and are lethargic, something's wrong. Composting goes so much faster with our little friends on the job. Good Luck!

A.B.Normal

Worms are heat/cold sensitive.
We have a basement mud room, folks. Like an indoor garage?

Prof - You know damn well the issue with the basement.

A working compost will produce heat/warmth,not sure how cold its get there during the winter though.

Professur

Should I come down? re-Sheetrocking a basement shouldn't take more than a weekend for a gang of three able adults. Add in a couple of kids mudding screwheads and it goes quickly.

JTP

A well-managed bin will have only a slight odor, and that will be a good, earthy smell- just like rich garden soil. If you're a gardener, you will consider it very pleasant. Worm castings are the absolute best thing you can do for your veggies.

tonksy

Thanks, JT :) Oh! And a mudroom is basically a room for storage that's okay to get muddy. They usually have their own entrance but this room just has one near it.

Wade - It freezes briefly here. Not too bad.

Prof - You're welcome to come down anytime.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I work with a guy who does indoor composting with red wigglers. He says that as long as you keep the balance right then they're perfectly happy staying inside the bin and the smell isn't even noticeable. We've been thinking of doing it at the office but haven't gotten around to it. I suppose it'll be after our office move in Feb now.