tonks - hair advice

BeardofPants

I'm thinking about making another hair-change, especially now that I've lost some weight... I was thinking a dramatic short pixie cut... going from this:

75.jpg

to this... :

selmab.jpg

How maintenance-y is it having shorter hair (ie styling & stuff)? Do you use products?

tonksy

Congrats on the weight loss! My hair is growing a bit...we'll see how I do.

As far as short hair goes it relatively easy to style. I recommend a nice but not too heavy pomade. Is your fair very fine? Mine is and I had to try a bunch of pomades to find one that wasn't overly heavy. I finally settled on the Got 2 B brand.
I used the pomade when I wanted the dry look (homechick in your picture did a blow dry and pomade set, probably some hairspray too) and when I wanted a wetter crunchy look I used hairpsray on damp hair (which is bad for your hair but again the fineness of my hair conflicted with lotsa stuff). You could use a spray gel and get the same effect.

You will find that you get MASSIVE bedhead. If you are not accustomed to washing your hair in the morning you soon will be...or at least rewetting it.

The upside is that if you end up keeping the short cut you needn't be too concerned with the shampoos etc that you use as your hair doesn't get to stick around long enough to really be damaged.

Hope you like the cut!

catocom

I dunno about that spiky styling, but the outer edge cut/length, looks....
from what I know of you, seems it might more suited to your personality...:headbang:

Mare

I'm thinking about making another hair-change, especially now that I've lost some weight... I was thinking a dramatic short pixie cut... going from this:

75.jpg

to this... :

selmab.jpg

How maintenance-y is it having shorter hair (ie styling & stuff)? Do you use products?

If your face is round, the best hairstyles generally include:
1. Layered bangs rather than straight or heavy bangs.
2. Short styles which give height.
3. Styles that add length.
4. Styles that keep the sides of your hair short or close to the face.
5. Curls around the crown -- but never near the cheeks -- to create height. Keep the sides of your hair short with a curly style.
6. Longer to very long styles, with bangs and a graduated shag or layers so that the face and the neck are given a slenderizing shape.

These are kinda cute.......
Since round faces are generally larger in the cheek and have more cheeks, you need to avoid anything that will make the cheeks look bigger. Using short hairstyles that add magnitude above the cheekbones and around the temples is a great idea. It will concentrate the reduction of all parts of your face and make more proportional.

tonksy

I love the 3rd on in Mare's post. Your hair would have to have some wave to manage it though...mine does not *pout*

tonksy

Ever get the chance to zing somebody really good with a great twist of a phrase but you don't want to because you don't mean the insult...but it would be sooooo good to say?

tonksy

Me "Bald can be sexy"
Someone other than Inky "I'm not that far away from bald..."
Me "Yeah...but you're pretty far from sexy"

BeardofPants

Update: My stylist advised against going that short because she didn't think it would quite go with my face-shape (plus too high maintenance), so I got this one instead:

P1030834.jpg

2minkey

bootlicker
you got a pretty mouth.

ha ha.

...but seriously, that looks good on you. makes you look younger. better watch out if winky ever gets back in here.