Suicide??

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
AFAIK, there was no recording machine in flatliners, they just started to have weird experiences after their contact with death.

AnomalousEntity

There was another movie that touched on the idea of re-living another persons dying memories.

A pretty good sci-fi "who dunnit" with Ray Liota called "Unforgettable"

Aunty Em

Luis G said:
AFAIK, there was no recording machine in flatliners, they just started to have weird experiences after their contact with death.
Sorry... I think I got it muddled up with a movie called Brainstorm? or some such name...

I've just spent so much time sorting out this LAN network that I couldn't concentrate on anything else... which isn't surprising since I've had about 4 hours sleep for the last 3 nights... I get severe tunnel vision when I'm totally focused on something... but it's finally sorted now so I'm back in the land of the living... plus I also decided to format and re-install 2k as there was so much junk on the drive. Now I can decide which programs go best on which machine... both are basically skeletons at the moment with just the OS, security, anti-virus programs and hardward monitoring programs installed... plus one or two useful little utilities. I had to download the MDAC 2.5 prog seperately onto 98 to get the newest Sisandra to work. I hate Windows Update it takes so damn long! :)

greenfreak

Wow Brainstorm, I remember that movie. Wasn't that Natalie Wood's last movie before she died? It was a pretty good flick

Aunty Em

Luis G said:
i never use windows update :D
I suppose if I hadn't downloaded service pack 4 for 2K and burned it to disk to be kept with my OS CD, then it would have been more of a pain cos I didn't have to download all those updates. I also downloaded DX9.0b separately and media player 9.... it saves a lot of messing about. It's the critical updates that take the time... cos every time you install something you get more coming up...

... anyway, it won't happen again because having reformatted the whole drive I can now use Drive Image without the problem with the boot.ini file and I've now backed up both computers and will do so on a regular basis from now on.

Plus, I've burned that password program iso to cd for problems in the future. :)

a13antichrist

AlphaTroll said:
I still think though that it's a rather selfish act - you might end your own immediate problems, but it does not end there for the people who love you & care for you - they are forever left with questions about what they could have done to prevent it or what they did to cause it.

What's selfish is that, given someone who feels so miserable about his/her own life that the only solution they can see is suicide, you then expect them to think about you rather than their own problems.

Aunty Em

a13antichrist said:
What's selfish is that, given someone who feels so miserable about his/her own life that the only solution they can see is suicide, you then expect them to think about you rather than their own problems.
I don't think that's selfish... it's probably the comment of someone who has never suffered from a real clinical depression that needed treatment and thinks that it's just a bad case of feeling very miserable and that you can snap out of it anytime you want to. Unfortunately real clinical depression isn't like that... oh if only it were! Plus there are different types and they affect the chemical balance within the brain... hence chemical (drug) therapy... it helps to know you enemy... the depression that is. :)

AlphaTroll

Actually, it's the comment of someone who's seen first hand what devastation suicide can wreak on the people left behind. Someone who's had to clean up the godawful mess afterwards and who's had to sit by & watch other's get to the point where their lives are a complete fuckup because they had to sit and watch as one selfish prick decided to blow his brains out in front of them. A selfish prick who decided that no matter how much was spent on getting him help, or how much everyone tried to understand what he was going through or how many times they rushed him to the emergency room in the early hours of the morning, after a failed suicide attempt (and him begging to be saved because he wants to live) - he was no longer even going to try.

So he blew his head off - good, ending of his troubles - beginning of ours. So if not wanting to be saddled with the mountains of debt he left behind. If not wanting to face his family, if wanting to save my family the trauma and feelings of doubt (about what could have been done to prevent it) makes me selfish - then yeah, give me a big ol' red mark of "S"

Aunty Em

Now that is something I would never do... beg to be saved. The only thing that kept me from taking my own life back when was knowing that I was in a situation where some-one would interfere... and I had no intention of being a failed suicide. But when you find that the one you love most in all the world has a life threatening, terminal condition and you wake up each morning hoping that she's still alive...

I don't know what I will do when she's gone... I do know that the only person who might have talked me out of something drastic, my sister, died in January. I feel like we're living on borrowed time and I hope I find something to keep me here... but if not I won't leave any loose ends and I won't be a failed suicide.

Xcite

I've tried to kill myself a good few times. Heh i tried to do it the painless way, lots of pills. Each time though, my body would reject it and make me sick. There was one time tho, i was so upset i smashed a bottle, took a shard and began cutting my arm. Each time i got close to my wrist tho, i would back off scared. I never thought i would ever cut myself, i had heard of so many people doing it before, and i was positive i would never do anyhting like that. Yet cutting myself gave me relief in some way i still don't quite understand. I only cut myself that once, never done it since and dont plan to ever do it again, i think i saw how others get addicted to it so stopped before it was too late.

I don't think i'll ever kill myself, i have the desire to do it nearly everyday, especially in recent months but really im too scared and i live in hope that things will get better.

In my case i wanted to kill myself just because nothing seemed to go right in my life, years had gone by and my luck wasn't changing, the people around me didn't show they cared much so i didn't feel wanted or loved, and figured it wouldn't be too big a deal if i went away. I got a bit of hope when i met my bf and fell in love, he showed me how much he cared all the time, made me feel loved soo much. When i lost that, it had to be the biggest blow in my life and now im headed back into depression. I'll never try to kill myself again tho, dispite life being crap, i still have hope and thats what keeps me going.

Kurt Cobain wasn't deep, he was deeply disturbed and an asshole for committing suicide.

Btw, if you look at what really happened he never killed himself. Among many things he had a daughter he loved more than the whole world, and she was his reason to live, he would never have killed himself while she lived. But i've seen the evidence of a more solid form, and he didn't do it, very bad police job that one.

IDLEchild

Now my question is why are there so many disturbed people in this day and age? Including this forum...disturbed as in depressed enough to commit suicide?.

Aunty Em

Chemical pollutants in the environment, faster pace of life and higher associated stress levels, more failing relationships, breakdown of the family unit and resulting lack of support, breakdown of society in general, more acceptance of mental illhealth in general - no need to hide it, greater recognition by medical profession of depressive illnesses... the list goes on... :shrug: