So I finally have a Plextor DVD burner...

JJR512

The same aquaintance who gave me the bad Samsung 17" LCD flat panel monitor, which I got replaced under warranty by Samsung, has just given me another goody: A Plextor PX-716UF. This is an external (USB 2.0 or IEEE1394/FireWire) dual-layer, multi-format DVD burner, the guts of which (usually it's one of the internal variants that gets reviewed) are widely acclaimed as pretty much the best out there right now. (Even their newer 740-series drives do not surpass.) With a $240-250 list (depending on color), the drives are currently about $200-210 at Newegg.com.

I was in his house the other day and he pointed at this silver thing and said he had this DVD burner he didn't need, and if I wanted it, I could have it. My first reaction, honestly, was that it looked like an ugly old junker. That was before I saw the brand name, then I saw the model number, and said hell yes.

I hope this streak continues...I could really use a new(er) CPU/motherboard/memory/graphics card combo... :D

Professur

Head.

JJR I sometimes lurk around at Best Buy (future shop here) for their returns. I've picked up some nice openbox stuff for great prices, with the occasional part needing RMA'd. They'd rather sell it to me cheap, than bother with testing and returning it themselves.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
Head.

JJR I sometimes lurk around at Best Buy (future shop here) for their returns. I've picked up some nice openbox stuff for great prices, with the occasional part needing RMA'd. They'd rather sell it to me cheap, than bother with testing and returning it themselves.

You guys don't have Best Buy AND Future Shop?

Inkara1

I can get to Best Buy in about 20 minutes. It would take me... umm, probably days to get to Future Shop.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
I can get to Best Buy in about 20 minutes. It would take me... umm, probably days to get to Future Shop.

When in Brampton I can get to either in about 10min or less...here...I dunno...

catocom

Nothing but idiots working at the closest best buy here.
Somebody that works there gets all the returns I think. They don't ever have any.

Comp usa used to, but I think they took that dept. out too.

Inkara1

I picked up the 15" flat panel monitor in the bedroom for $154 as an open-box special. The picture is definitely a step down from the much more expensive Samsung, but it's still good and the amount of room saved is outstanding.