Sirius/XM merge

Sharky

Hey, cool! Sirius and XM have completed their merge. Now there are a bunch of new channels on XM, and the playlists have been freshened up and expanded on my favorite channel (XM Chill, channel 84). Same price, more content. Can't beat dat! :cool:

How has the merge affected your listening?

nalani

Do you know that XM/Sirius *still* isn't available on my island? How weird is that? And my car is already XM-ready .. :(

Sharky

Do you know that XM/Sirius *still* isn't available on my island? How weird is that? And my car is already XM-ready .. :(

Both Sirius and XM applied with the FCC to install repeaters in HI and AK, way before the merger, but I don't know if it has been approved. I can't find any more info other than a rumor that XM and Sirius will launch another satellite each (this was before the merger) to increase signal strength in CONUS and extend the coverage area. Also someone said that HI can pick up Sirius with a high-gain antenna, but that is limited to home use. Sirius and XM's coverage areas are shown here, as well as this info:

Sirius realizes its signal can be weak at times and that many listeners would appreciate a stronger, more consistent signal, as well as a wider range of services signal. Because of that, Sirius is considering launching a fourth satellite in 2008.

Sirius has a fourth satellite on the ground now as a backup in case one of the three in the sky suffers a catastrophic failure, so the next satellite would technically be the fifth. Launching that satellite would obviously be expensive (approximately $260M), but it would make the existing system more robust and cover many other areas. It would make them even more competitive with XM as well (it's worth noting XM is considering launching an additional satellite of their own). Additionally, Sirius can obviously survive on only three satellites, so if one fails in a constellation of four they could just rearrange them to the original positions.

If a fourth satellite is launched, the idea would be to have two satellites broadcasting and covering North America at any one time instead of only one. This next satellite is planned to use a more advanced signal broadcasting system to allow for great coverage and content capability. The fourth satellite is also planned to be geostationary, as opposed to the orbiting ones currently in the sky. This would provide far more consistent coverage and a stronger signal. Additionally, it would provide more consistent coverage to Central and possible South America as well as the Caribbean, so providing authorized service in those countries would be more realistic.

Sharky

As an aside, wanna hear something weird? My home XM antenna doesn't pick up worth a crap (1-2 bars max) if aimed out a window facing south, as instructed, but gets a solid five bars when aimed toward a south-facing concrete block wall. :dizzy:

nalani

I'd so love to get XM out here. The radio stations out here suck - they all play local reggae type music and not that I hate it, it's just tiring over and over again ... really limited on this island but it's funny that no matter where you are, you'll always get public radio LOL

Mirlyn

Sirius/XM still working on HI

I think XM subscribers got a much bigger bang for the buck. As a Sirius subscriber, I don't notice much different apart from them declaring Sirius 21/XM 47 (or something) on some of the channels I normally listen to.

They got rid of Punk, and now channel 9 will really be 90s.