Ron Paul supports the complete elimination of the income tax and the IRS

Gotholic

Ron Paul supports the elimination of the income tax and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). He asserts that Congress had no power to impose a direct income tax and has introduced legislation to repeal of the 16th Amendment to the Constitution, which was ratified on February 3, 1913.

An income tax is the most degrading and totalitarian of all possible taxes. Its implementation wrongly suggests that the government owns the lives and labor of the citizens it is supposed to represent. Tellingly, “a heavy progressive or graduated income tax” is Plank #2 of the Communist Manifesto, which was written by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels and first published in 1848.

To provide funding for the federal government, Ron Paul supports excise taxes, non-protectionist tariffs, massive cuts in spending.

Ron Paul discusses the income tax and the “FAIR Tax” in May 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI5lC4Z_T80

On November 20, 2008 Ron Paul said in a New York Times / Freakonomics interview:

“I want to abolish the income tax, but I don’t want to replace it with anything. About 45 percent of all federal revenue comes from the personal income tax. That means that about 55 percent — over half of all revenue — comes from other sources, like excise taxes, fees, and corporate taxes.

We could eliminate the income tax, replace it with nothing, and still fund the same level of big government we had in the late 1990s. We don’t need to “replace” the income tax at all. I see a consumption tax as being a little better than the personal income tax, and I would vote for the Fair-Tax if it came up in the House of Representatives, but it is not my goal. We can do better.”​

On May 7, 2001, Ron Paul wrote the following column:

The Case Against the Income Tax

Could America exist without an income tax? The idea seems radical, yet in truth America did just fine without a federal income tax for the first 126 years of its history. Prior to 1913, the government operated with revenues raised through tariffs, excise taxes, and property taxes, without ever touching a worker’s paycheck. In the late 1800s, when Congress first attempted to impose an income tax, the notion of taxing a citizen’s hard work was considered radical! Public outcry ensued; more importantly, the Supreme Court ruled the income tax unconstitutional. Only with passage of the 16th Amendment did Congress gain the ability to tax the productive endeavors of its citizens.

Yet don’t we need an income tax to fund the important functions of the federal government? You may be surprised to know that the income tax accounts for only approximately one-third of federal revenue. Only 10 years ago, the federal budget was roughly one-third less than it is today. Surely we could find ways to cut spending back to 1990 levels, especially when the Treasury has single year tax surpluses for the past several years. So perhaps the idea of an America without an income tax is not so radical after all.

The harmful effects of the income tax are obvious. First and foremost, it has enabled government to expand far beyond its proper constitutional limits, regulating virtually every aspect of our lives. It has given government a claim on our lives and work, destroying our privacy in the process. It takes billions of dollars out of the legitimate private economy, with most Americans giving more than a third of everything they make to the federal government. This economic drain destroys jobs and penalizes productive behavior. The ridiculous complexity of the tax laws makes compliance a nightmare for both individuals and businesses. All things considered, our Founders would be dismayed by the income tax mess and the tragic loss of liberty which results.

America without an income tax would be far more prosperous and far more free, but we must be prepared to fight to regain the liberty we have lost incrementally over the past century. I recently introduced “The Liberty Amendment,” legislation which would repeal the 16th Amendment and effectively abolish the income tax. I truly believe that real tax reform, reform that so many frustrated Americans desperately want, requires bold legislation that challenges the Washington mind set. Congress talks about reform, but the current tax debate really involves nothing of substance. Both parties are content to continue tinkering with the edges of the tax code to please various special interests. The Liberty Amendment is an attempt to eliminate the system altogether, forcing Congress to find a simple and fair way to collect limited federal revenues. Most of all, the Liberty Amendment is an initiative aimed at reducing the size and scope of the federal government.

Is it impossible to end the income tax? I don’t believe so. In fact, I believe a serious groundswell movement of disaffected taxpayers is growing in this country. Millions of Americans are fed up with the current tax system, and they will bring pressure on Congress. Some sidestep Congress completely, bringing legal challenges questioning the validity of the tax code and the 16th Amendment itself. Ultimately, the Liberty Amendment could serve as a flashpoint for these millions of voices.​

Ron Paul supports the complete elimination of the income tax and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). On April 30, 2009, the Congressman introduced the Liberty Amendment, a bill to repeal the 16th Amendment to the Constitution:

Ron Paul: I am pleased to introduce the Liberty Amendment, which repeals the 16th Amendment, thus paving the way for real change in the way government collects and spends the people’s hard-earned money. The Liberty Amendment also explicitly forbids the Federal government from performing any action not explicitly authorized by the United States Constitution.

The 16th Amendment gives the Federal government a direct claim on the lives of American citizens by enabling Congress to levy a direct income tax on individuals. Until the passage of the 16th amendment, the Supreme Court had consistently held that Congress had no power to impose an income tax.

Income taxes are responsible for the transformation of the Federal government from one of limited powers into a vast leviathan whose tentacles reach into almost every aspect of American life. Thanks to the income tax, today the Federal government routinely invades our privacy, and penalizes our every endeavor.

The Founding Fathers realized that “the power to tax is the power to destroy,” which is why they did not give the Federal government the power to impose an income tax. Needless to say, the Founders would be horrified to know that Americans today give more than a third of their income to the Federal government.

Income taxes not only diminish liberty, they retard economic growth by discouraging work and production. Our current tax system also forces Americans to waste valuable time and money on compliance with an ever-more complex tax code. The increased interest in flat-tax and national sales tax proposals, as well as the increasing number of small businesses that question the Internal Revenue Service’s (IRS) “withholding” system provides further proof that America is tired of the labyrinthine tax code. Americans are also increasingly fed up with an IRS that continues to ride roughshod over their civil liberties, despite recent “pro-taxpayer” reforms.

America survived and prospered for 140 years without an income tax, and with a Federal government that generally adhered to strictly constitutional functions, operating with modest excise revenues. The income tax opened the door to the era (and errors) of Big Government. I hope my colleagues will help close that door by cosponsoring the Liberty Amendment.​

Ron Paul introduced the Liberty Amendment in 1998, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2009. It is currently know as H. J. RES. 48 and has 2 cosponsors, Roscoe G. Bartlett (MD-6) and Don Young (AK). Here is the text of the proposed amendment:

Liberty Amendment

Section 1. The Government of the United States shall not engage in any business, professional, commercial, financial, or industrial enterprise except as specified in the Constitution.

Section 2. The constitution or laws of any State, or the laws of the United States, shall not be subject to the terms of any foreign or domestic agreement which would abrogate this amendment.

Section 3. The activities of the United States Government which violate the intent and purposes of this amendment shall, within a period of three years from the date of the ratification of this amendment, be liquidated and the properties and facilities affected shall be sold.

Section 4. Three years after the ratification of this amendment the sixteenth article of amendments to the Constitution of the United States shall stand repealed and thereafter Congress shall not levy taxes on personal incomes, estates, and gifts.’.​

Source

2minkey

bootlicker
hmmm, bish, maybe that isn't really the only way to think about it?

golly, without income tax, how would we have so many wonderful government programs?

now i ain't quite a 'strict constitutionalist' because there are long-range, strategic priorities that must be managed that absolutely do not fall within the immediate rational self-interest of the corporate entities and private businesses that make the $ here.

but there's also a lot of shit that we're paying for.

Winky

Ron Paul is a whack job

Screw all that I'd fix this inna fortnight
slash the defense budget by 75%
tell the social security peeps to starve to death
abolish all other Federal programs
kill all the laws that never should have been enacted in the first place
make everyone pay taxes at the current rate
for the next 36 months and use the proceeds to wipe out the public debt

Ayn was right!

valkyrie

Of course Ron Paul supports the elimination of income taxes and the IRS. He's a Libertarian in Republican clothing.

140 years ago there were no National Parks or paved highways or handicapped kids in schools.

I like that there is no plan to pay for all that our government pays for now. This is a handy political ploy but reality is that the vast majority of Americans will find something that they are willing to pay for out of their taxes.

I am not opposed to reducing the size and strength of the Federal government. Let's start with cutting down the size and budget of the military.

Winky

Ron Paul is as full of crap as anyone else in Washington DC

rip up all the roads
go back to living in caves!

If people aren't willing to pay for something
if a free enterprise business isn't able to make a profit
providing said goods or services that people want
then we don't fricken need it!

Yeah right Val keep extorting monies under the guise of
retarded kids, lets disarm and let the moosies take the place over! wat?

Minks from what do you know of Ayn Rand?
Other than to say her ideas were as impossible
as your beloved communist utopia?

Love you commies who think that communism would
be great if only humans would cooperate
but consider laissez-faire wholly unworkable! wat wat What the Fuck?

Don't push me I can type this kinda gibberish all day and night!

2minkey

bootlicker
140 years ago there were no National Parks or paved highways or handicapped kids in schools.
cripple fight?

SM1082~Cripple-Fight-Posters.jpg

Let's start with cutting down the size and budget of the military.

that would be the last place i would cut. that's actually one of the things the fed should be actively engaged in supporting and ensuring absolute excellence and superiority. that is GOOD use of my tax dollars.

valkyrie

cripple fight?

SM1082~Cripple-Fight-Posters.jpg
*/spit-take and uncontrollable laughter

that would be the last place i would cut. that's actually one of the things the fed should be actively engaged in supporting and ensuring absolute excellence and superiority. that is GOOD use of my tax dollars.
The military is over budgeted during peace time. We need to learn to say "no" to requests from other countries to police their problems. We are not the World's Police!

Winky

Ron Paul can bite me!

If I go and buy something I expect value for my money.

When the Government takes my money at the point of a gun
I expect to get screwed in the butt,
although reach around once inna while would be nice doncha think?

Gotholic

Cute...eliminate almost half of taxes. What services can they possibly get rid of to clean that much money off of their bottom line?

hmmm, bish, maybe that isn't really the only way to think about it?

golly, without income tax, how would we have so many wonderful government programs?

now i ain't quite a 'strict constitutionalist' because there are long-range, strategic priorities that must be managed that absolutely do not fall within the immediate rational self-interest of the corporate entities and private businesses that make the $ here.

but there's also a lot of shit that we're paying for.

Of course Ron Paul supports the elimination of income taxes and the IRS. He's a Libertarian in Republican clothing.

I like that there is no plan to pay for all that our government pays for now. This is a handy political ploy but reality is that the vast majority of Americans will find something that they are willing to pay for out of their taxes.

I am not opposed to reducing the size and strength of the Federal government. Let's start with cutting down the size and budget of the military.

Reagan's Grace Commission found:

Resistance to additional income taxes would be even more widespread if people were aware that:

One-third of all their taxes is consumed by waste and inefficiency in the Federal Government as we identified in our survey.

Another one-third of all their taxes escapes collection from others as the underground economy blossoms in direct proportion to tax increases and places even more pressure on law abiding taxpayers, promoting still more underground economy -- a vicious cycle that must be broken.

With two-thirds of everyone's personal income taxes wasted or not collected, 100 percent of what is collected is absorbed solely by interest on the Federal debt and by Federal Government contributions to transfer payments. In other words, all individual income tax revenues are gone before one nickel is spent on the services which taxpayers expect from their Government.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
valkyrie;659966The military is over budgeted during peace time. We need to learn to say "no" to requests from other countries to police their problems. We are not the World's Police![/QUOTE said:
Article 1 said:
Section. 8.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Roads, stamps & Armies.

Winky

Ron Paul can suck my weeny!

and that is ALL
not all this fricken welfare crap and bailouts to buy votes
not run up a debt your as of yet unborn great grandchildren
won't be able to pay off.

They have run the greatest nation in the history of humankind
straight into the ground!

Taxed Enough Already my ass
I say kill them bastards and start over!

Winky

Who will lead the nation away from the brink?

So a total welfare state headed by a wholly corrupt, bankrupt regime
is the proper socioeconomic structure for our nation today?

Chongo, there are those who beg to differ in a most vociferous manner!

Winky

Tax the middle class into abject poverty!

The blatancy of the transparency of your attempted deceptions
are so obvious as to be offensive in the extreme.

2minkey

bootlicker
Re: Who will lead the nation away from the brink?

So a total welfare state headed by a wholly corrupt, bankrupt regime
is the proper socioeconomic structure for our nation today?

either extreme would be truly moronic. there are many things better left to the market. there are some things that are not.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
... perfect for the socioeconomic structure of the time. and totally inadequate for today.

Then change the rules. Don't overstep your authority.

The Constitution is written to give government limited power.

catocom

Perfect Truth, perfect Justice, and perfect Liberty, are always Perfect.
They don't change with the times.

Winky

Who will lead the nation away from the brink?

either extreme would be truly moronic.

On the one hand we have prosperity, wealth and freedom
on the other reduced expectations, poor economic performance and government
intervention in nearly every sphere of daily life.

yeah yer right I’d be happy as hell if we could just get back to
some kinda mediocre middle of the road situation

Aiming for the brass ring is so out of fashion in the age of
Obama and the great depression he’s gleefully presiding over.

“double digit unemployment in this jobless recovery is the new norm”

Jimmy Carter anyone?

Question is Who’s the new Ronnie Raygun?

nah let’s re-elect ol Barry and wait for WWIII to pull us outta our funk.