RAID 1

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
2 Maxtor 80GB 8MB cache 7200RPM drives with a new XP 2500+ (at 2004) & 2 256MB PC2700. Damn this thing is cruising. :D

:swing:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
After playing around I decided I didn't want to lose a HDD, so it's just regular old 2 discs now. Still cruising though.

Is there a way to create a RAID 0 without losing all the data?

CS

Nup you'll lose the data. However if you can get hold of a copy of Powerquest drive image, you could copy the data over to your old HD, and copy it back over once you've created the Raid 0.

PostCode

Major contributor!
I've been running four 80GB drives in RAID 0 for close to a year now with no problems whatsoever. The performance is excellent. It's no different than having one drive. Anything that needs to be reinstalled can be from CD backup and data is backed up nightly.

PostCode

Major contributor!
How are you mirroring the drives though? Through the operating system or through a RAID controller card? Unless you've got a RAID card, your not going to be able to use RAID 0.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
CS said:
Nup you'll lose the data. However if you can get hold of a copy of Powerquest drive image, you could copy the data over to your old HD, and copy it back over once you've created the Raid 0.

This is my old HDD & a new one. I don't have anywhere to backup. I'd have to do a complete reinstall & I'm just too lazy for that right now.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
PostCode said:
How are you mirroring the drives though? Through the operating system or through a RAID controller card? Unless you've got a RAID card, your not going to be able to use RAID 0.

Built in RAID on the Dragon 400ultra

PostCode

Major contributor!
ALmost a year now with these four drives and not one problem Justin. I've also got another system with two 40GB drives in RAID 0. Neither has ever given me any kind of a problem.

PostCode said:
ALmost a year now with these four drives and not one problem Justin. I've also got another system with two 40GB drives in RAID 0. Neither has ever given me any kind of a problem.

I've done it before and its kept well, but it always bothered me at the back of my mind, that it'd fail sometime, i want redundancy with RAID. :D

PostCode

Major contributor!
Redundancy is good, but the way I look at it is this is my work system. It's not a server, which btw, has four 40gig drives in Raid 0+1. For me, I want the speed. The ability to put a program up in a matter of a few seconds while I'm installing another is what I want. If it fails, oh well. If I had one drive and it fails, the result is the same.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
PostCode said:
If I had one drive and it fails, the result is the same.
i think of it as the difference between losing 80Gb when one disk in the array goes bad or just 40gb if they aren't raided. if you're running nightly backups that's a different story, but if you're not that attentive then it's an disaster waiting to happen. if it were me, i'd pick up a third drive and go straight for raid 5, which actually has a better price/performance/redundancy ratio than any other raid setup. frankly, i don't understand why raid 0 qualitifies as raid at all, it offers no redundancy, which is the point of having a Redundant Array of Independent Disks