PSP: Opinions?

flavio

Banned
I bought it to play games on. The quality of the games alone justifies the purchase alone. The fact that you can do all this other stuff with it is just a fantastic bonus.

Gato_Solo said:
Sorry. I have enough problems trying to justify a portable DVD player to watch movies on when I'm travelling...and they have much bigger screens, and are much cheaper. ;)
But you can't play games, listen to mp3's, web browse, or any of this other stuff on a portable DVD player. The movies are just a great bonus and I only have to carry one device for everything.

At the price they charge, shouldn't that memory stick come with the system? I'm all for getting new tech, but if I have to reach too deep into my pocket to get accessories that should come with the system, I kinda balk at the initial price.
A 32MB memory stick came with mine. More than enough room for a your game saves. The 1GB stick is not really an accessory that should have come with the system as many people won't use it. If you want to do other things with your PSP you buy as big a stick as you need. However they have a good price right now on a package with the 1GB stick.

So you had to load up something else that should've come with the system you paid top dollar for. Looks like Sony has been reading Micro$oft's playbook. Note. I'm not dissing your PSP...just the marketing and accessories that come with it...or not.
Again the web browser isn't "something that should have come with the system". It's a great bonus that Sony put in their latest firmware. However the ones you get at the store now probably have it preloaded.

At least you don't have to pay 'through the nose' to get those. All the things you mentioned, though, should've been provided by Sony from day 1...except the emulators, which may have royalty and/or copyright problems associated with them.
No, it was just supposed to play great PSP games from day 1.

Sony was in a rush to get the PSP 'out the door', and caused two things...problems in the firmware and price gouging. The firmware is fixed, or you wouldn't be as happy, but the price gouging will continue for at least another 4 months....if they actually fixed the firmware during the interim...
The firmware was never broken...it just has more features now. There hasn't been any price gouging. It's worth every penny especially when compared to the Nintendo DS.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
flavio said:
I bought it to play games on. The quality of the games alone justifies the purchase alone. The fact that you can do all this other stuff with it is just a fantastic bonus.

And how much are the games?

[Quoteflavio]
But you can't play games, listen to mp3's, web browse, or any of this other stuff on a portable DVD player. The movies are just a great bonus and I only have to carry one device for everything.[/quote]

Depends upon where you use it, I guess. If you use it on a bus or train, your browsing won't be a problem. You can't on a plane, so that would be a useless feature for me. :shrug: BTW...most DVD players now...including the portables...will play MP3's

flavio said:
A 32MB memory stick came with mine. More than enough room for a your game saves. The 1GB stick is not really an accessory that should have come with the system as many people won't use it. If you want to do other things with your PSP you buy as big a stick as you need. However they have a good price right now on a package with the 1GB stick.

Doesn't really detract all that much from what I said earlier. Once again, though, I'm not dissing your purchase. If you enjoy what you bought, and are using all of the features, more power to ya'. I just don't have the need, so I don't see the excitement behind it.

flavio said:
Again the web browser isn't "something that should have come with the system". It's a great bonus that Sony put in their latest firmware. However the ones you get at the store now probably have it preloaded.

It was touted as a feature before it hit the shelves, therefore it was something that should've been pre-loaded. If it had to be added with a 'firmware upgrade', then you bought a test system. :shrug:

flavio said:
No, it was just supposed to play great PSP games from day 1.

And how many games do you have?

flavio said:
The firmware was never broken...it just has more features now. There hasn't been any price gouging. It's worth every penny especially when compared to the Nintendo DS.

If those features weren't useable until after the firmware upgrade then those features were disabled because they didn't work...ergo, the firmware had to be fixed. Now...how much did you pay for your PSP, again?

woodman19_99

Hmmm... still alot to consider here. Maybe I will get it, test for what, the 15 days that I have, and then return it if I don't like it...

My main use would be on the bus and train for my commute, as I already have a portable DVD player for airplanes. I would probably bring the PSP too, just in case the DVD battery died. Oh, and on that note, how long is the battery life flavio?

Still thinking about this purchase... which is odd as I am usually a buy first, think later consumer!

flavio

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
And how much are the games?
$20-$50

BTW...most DVD players now...including the portables...will play MP3's
They'll play mp3's burned onto a disc. It's not like having an IPod or Zen mp3 player....which the PSP is.

It was touted as a feature before it hit the shelves, therefore it was something that should've been pre-loaded. If it had to be added with a 'firmware upgrade', then you bought a test system. :shrug:
I don't think it's being touted as a feature now, much less when I bought it. It was just something nice they decided to add.

And how many games do you have?

If those features weren't useable until after the firmware upgrade then those features were disabled because they didn't work...ergo, the firmware had to be fixed. Now...how much did you pay for your PSP, again?
The firmware worked fine. They're adding features in an ongoing effort to improve their product. I paid $299 for mine.

woodman19_99

Well, any decision making on my part was taken out last night when my girlfriend gave me one for my birthday!!!!! So I guess a free PSP is even better than a paid for one... she gave me Madden 06 with it, and now I am going to bestbuy with the money I saved to get the PSP to get some games, a bigger memory stick, and hopefully a better case...

she is the best!!!

flavio

Banned
To tell you the truth my girlfriend actually bought me mine as well. Get Lumines for your GF and she'll have fun with it too.

...and one my best uses of this thing is on BART (the bay area subway) on the way to work. Sounds like we got a couple things in common.

Are you into the emulator stuff?

woodman19_99

Yeah, I am definitely going to have to try some of those programs you suggested. I had one question for you. Didn't notice any listed, but I have iTunes and need a program to convert those babies into .MP3 format so I can get them onto a memory stick and listen to music too...

By the way, mine came with PSP Update to 2.00 ready to install already... is that as high as they go right now?

Inkara1

woodman19_99 said:
I have iTunes and need a program to convert those babies into .MP3 format so I can get them onto a memory stick and listen to music too...
Good luck ever finding one of those. If you find one that works, let me know. Project HYMN was supposed to but that turned out to be a crock of shit.

flavio

Banned
woodman19_99 said:
Yeah, I am definitely going to have to try some of those programs you suggested. I had one question for you. Didn't notice any listed, but I have iTunes and need a program to convert those babies into .MP3 format so I can get them onto a memory stick and listen to music too...

By the way, mine came with PSP Update to 2.00 ready to install already... is that as high as they go right now?
I don't know about converting the music. Seems like there should be somethig out there.

The thing about the firmware though is you can get the latest edition from the Sony site. However if you do that they've put certain safeguards on the latest firmware that will prevent you from running the emulators and other "homebrewed" proggies.

If you've already have the latest firmware there's other programs that will revert you to an earlier edition. Basically you have to give up the Sony web browser to use the the homebrewed apps. But there are homebrewed browsers so I think this is the route I'm going to go.