People that use language above the level of the receiver.

staffrodore

I was talking to my boss the other day as she was reading her emails and memos, she kept having to ask me "what does this word mean", I couldnt tell her myself.

As a result she had to haul some university graduate into her office and remind him that if he keeps using all his favourite words from university that nobody else can understand then there is no point in his continued employment in the company. (Yes all you graduates, contrary to what you tutors tell you, you can be replaced quite easily).She does not have time to be going through a dictionary looking up words like "flagelum" when the wit with a BA could of just said "shaped like a whip".

I read a lot of message boards and come across this rather bizzare personality syndrome myself.

What I want to know is why people do it? do they think it makes them look intelligent using words that they know, when in fact using language above the level of the receiver is a sign of arrogance and stupidity (whats the point in talking if nobody understands you.)

What I want to know is whats the point?

BeardofPants

I have a tendency to use "capacious" "verbiage" :)P) because that is what's in my vocabulary. If I don't know a word, then I will look it up in the friggin' dictionary, and educate myself. :shrug:

*wonders when the world became so ignorant that we had to use words with less than three syllables* :rolleyes:

chcr

Too cute for words
Well now, I use words that I would use in normal conversation. Should I be required to discover the reading level of everone who reads my posts? On the other hand, I agree that it seems like some people sit there with a dictionary so they can show off their self-perceived intellect. Insecurity is my guess.

BlurOfSerenity

i use big words sometimes... it's just how i talk, tho.
i've always been that way.
i try not to have my language exceed the level of the reciever, tho.
sometimes i just get on this thing tho, where i barely even understand myself.

tonksy

i never believed in downplaying intelligence. if i don't know a word i'll ask. better to speak up and look ignorant then stay silent and remain so.

HomeLAN

If it's a business deal, I'll speak to the audience's level if I know what it is. If I don't, the assumption is that you're at least as intelligent as I am, and assuming anything else runs a high risk of insulting the hell out of you.

Outside of business, I don't feel a need to dumb it down to your level. If you don't have the vocabulary I do, may I suggest www.dictionary.com

IDLEchild

staffrodore said:
What I want to know is why people do it? do they think it makes them look intelligent using words that they know, when in fact using language above the level of the receiver is a sign of arrogance and stupidity (whats the point in talking if nobody understands you.)

No it isn't....your boss should employ impressive verbosity, not be a lazy, witless moron.

Knowledge is power and if the reciever is too slow to catch on then too bad. It isn't arrogance or stupidity....it is the power the manipulate the idiotic masses at will.

What I want to know is whats the point?

The point is that intelligence is steadily growing out of fashion. Newspapers are constantly dumbing down their level of writing for mass audiences and the notion of quick communication is developing a breed of slow thinking morons around us.

Would you rather hear "like she was like so like totally like stupid today like lol...."?

Sharky

HomeLAN said:
If it's a business deal, I'll speak to the audience's level if I know what it is. If I don't, the assumption is that you're at least as intelligent as I am, and assuming anything else runs a high risk of insulting the hell out of you.

Outside of business, I don't feel a need to dumb it down to your level. If you don't have the vocabulary I do, may I suggest www.dictionary.com

For those who speak English: I concur with your elucidation.

Translation for Staffrodore's boss: What he said.

:lloyd:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
staffrodore said:
I was talking to my boss the other day as she was reading her emails and memos, she kept having to ask me "what does this word mean", I couldnt tell her myself.

As a result she had to haul some university graduate into her office and remind him that if he keeps using all his favourite words from university that nobody else can understand then there is no point in his continued employment in the company.
so.

your boss doesn't like being reminded that she's a mite short in the whole knowing the language she purports to speak area, so she's gonna can a guy to make it stop?

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I'd be looking for a new job posthaste dude.

Oz

Leslie said:
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I'd be looking for a new job posthaste dude.

ditto....folks use language that suits their environment, the dude is obviously fresh from Uni so he's most comfortable with communicating with those from a "well read" environment.

Whereas I'm a guttersnipe......so my lingo is usually dredged straight from the gutter ;)

BeardofPants

Sharky said:
For those who speak English: I concur with your elucidation.

Translation for Staffrodore's boss: What he said.

:lloyd:
Good thing we have Sharky here to provide edification for Staf's phlegmatic over-seer. ;)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I've had to look up a word or two. If I don't know a word I see it as my problem, not the other guys. To suggest that a person could be fired for using vocabulary that your boss is not familiar with is ludicrous. I do hope your boss increases her vocabulary forthwith.

(no, I didn't have to look those up) ;)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I'm gonna have a good chuckle when I hear that he was smart enough to go over her head and get her ass canned.

Inkara1

I try to use the word that best describes the subject in the lowest number of letters and syllables. If someone has to use a dictionary to look that word up... well, as our Russian friends would say, "tufshitski."