Osama Bin Laden Featured in GOP TV Ad

Professur

While the local and State gov'ts are still intact .... I wouldn't expect so, no.

But then again, it's already been discussed in another thread recently, that reports of no action being taken were media bias. Response teams did respond, in time, as they're supposed to.

Yup, there.

And, frankly, I put more faith in Popular Mechanics than most news papers today.

spike

I'm not really interested in turning this into a Katrina thread but There was nowhere near the response given that previous presidents in similar situations had managed with lesser technology.

It certainly didn't give people much faith in "Homeland Security" or the ability of their government in general being able to handle a crisis effectively. Not that the blame lies primarily with the president but that the whole current system is faulty.

Professur

I'm not really interested in turning this into a Katrina thread but There was nowhere near the response given that previous presidents in similar situations had managed with lesser technology.

It certainly didn't give people much faith in "Homeland Security" or the ability of their government in general being able to handle a crisis effectively. Not that the blame lies primarily with the president but that the whole current system is faulty.

Well, you'd know your history better than I (I'd hope), but I can't ever recall a similar situation in the US past. Perhaps the Mississippi floods, but I think most of that was farmland, with no wind damage. But to wrap up the whole "crisis" ... there was already, in place, response teams that responded exactly as they were supposed to. An agency which was supposed to support them, which may or may not have failed to do so, and a local and state gov't in place to assess wether it was sufficient or not ... which failed to do so.

I've yet to see where the President was supposed to do anything
when a catastrophe hits a major city of the US

Unless he was supposed to react to the ABC news footage.

spike

All you need for a similar situation is to look at previous large hurricanes hitting the US. There's been many in my own lifetime.

There was nothing about the handling of this situation to make citizens feel "Secure". More a lack of interest kind of feeling.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
When the Governor & The Mayor of the affected cities tell the federal government to stay out, the feds are required to stay out.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Again, I have to wonder at the mindset that assumes that the head of the US should be doing anything in a situation like this. I thought that's what local and state gov'ts were for.

1865 changed all that. States had no rights, ergo no responsibilities. It all went to Warshinton. After all, didn't Warshinton free all the slaves? Hence, they have to take care of everything, since they wouldn't let the States do it anymore. Right Gonz?

Long live Union!

spike

When the Governor & The Mayor of the affected cities tell the federal government to stay out, the feds are required to stay out.

Yeah, if that sentence was true.

Fox News and other conservative media, including nationally syndicated radio host Rush Limbaugh and popular weblogs, have loudly and repeatedly touted statements made this week by American Red Cross president and CEO Marsha J. "Marty" Evans that Louisiana state homeland security officials blocked Red Cross efforts to enter New Orleans to deliver food, water, and other critical provisions to victims of Hurricane Katrina because the state officials did not want to provide an incentive for people to stay in the city. But a review of public statements by Red Cross officials -- who originally agreed that requests or directives by state and local officials that Red Cross relief workers stay out of the city were made because the city was not safe -- shows they have subtly shifted their rhetoric regarding who was responsible for barring the Red Cross, whether it was an outright bar or a request, and what the reason was for the authorities' not wanting Red Cross relief workers to go into the city, undermining the Fox News report.

This shift neatly complements Bush administration efforts to re-direct blame for failures in the relief effort on state and local officials, particularly on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco. Also notably absent from Fox News' reports was any mention of the fact that both the Red Cross' charter and the federal Department of Homeland Security's December 2004 National Response Plan clearly indicate that ultimate decision-making authority rested (or should have rested) with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), not with any state agency.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200509090002

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
*sigh* we've been thru this, several times.

To seize control of the mission, Mr. Bush would have had to invoke the Insurrection Act, which allows the president in times of unrest to command active-duty forces into the states to perform law enforcement duties. But decision makers in Washington felt certain that Ms. Blanco would have resisted surrendering control, as Bush administration officials believe would have been required to deploy active-duty combat forces before law and order had been re-established.

While combat troops can conduct relief missions without the legal authority of the Insurrection Act, Pentagon and military officials say that no active-duty forces could have been sent into the chaos of New Orleans on Wednesday or Thursday without confronting law-and-order challenges.

But just as important to the administration were worries about the message that would have been sent by a president ousting a Southern governor of another party from command of her National Guard, according to administration, Pentagon and Justice Department officials.

"Can you imagine how it would have been perceived if a president of the United States of one party had pre-emptively taken from the female governor of another party the command and control of her forces, unless the security situation made it completely clear that she was unable to effectively execute her command authority and that lawlessness was the inevitable result?" asked one senior administration official, who spoke anonymously because the talks were confidential.

NY Times

Posse Comitatus

Insurrection Act

spike

You should read the rest of that Times article.

He already took responsibility and admitted "the federal government didn't fully do its job right".

Bush takes blame for flaws in Katrina response

WASHINGTON - President Bush said Tuesday that "I take responsibility" for failures in dealing with Hurricane Katrina and that the disaster raised broader questions about the government's ability to respond to natural disasters as well as terror attacks.

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government," Bush said at joint White House news conference with the president of Iraq.

"To the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," Bush said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9324891/

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The nature of beauracracy...find the problems during an emergency & have meetings afterwards, discussing what went wrong & have meetings on how to fix those then have meetings on implementing the fix(es) then hold a pres conference telling the world you had meetings & then hold a meeting, followed by another press conference actually putting the information discusssed at several previous meetings into action only to find more problems next time the problem occurs.

Or

Get your own ass out of the way of a hurricane.