okay, so I know Norton is evil ...

kuulani

does anyone have suggestions for another antivirus, antispyware software for my work laptop (hp pavilion)?

pc_builder

As Inky said, AVG is also free. And it is what I use.

Antivirus:
AVG Free
or
Antivir
I used Antivir for awhile before I went back to AVG.

Anti-spyware:
Spybot S&D
or
Ad-Aware

Also, you might want to check out this program.
Spyware Blaster

It's not a spyware removal tool. But it can immunize your computer to prevent many spyware programs from installing in the first place.

Professur

AVG is free ... but not for the work environment. We're using Sophos here in the office. No complaints, but I can't offer a recommendation either. It just sits there doing it's thing, doesn't talk much.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I'll check out which one is currently running on my work computer when I get there. Sneaky IT guys change things up on us every so often without us knowing...whatever it is is free for corporate use though.

Inkara1

If it's free for corporate use it's not AVG. AVG is only free for home users. I missed the "work" part of "work laptop" for Kuu's post.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I never said it was AVG.

It's actually not free for corporate use either...it's Sophos. The one we used to have was free I'm pretty sure but turns out the emails about the switch over are some of the few emails I've actually deleted in the past 6 months...sorry.

pc_builder

If it's free for corporate use it's not AVG. AVG is only free for home users. I missed the "work" part of "work laptop" for Kuu's post.

I missed the "work" part too.

Edit: But if this is a laptop you take home with you and only you use it, I would consider it personal use. Otherwise you're looking at $100's for business licenses.

Edit again: Unless you can convince work to pay for new antivirus and antispyware programs for you. :)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I missed the "work" part too.

Edit: But if this is a laptop you take home with you and only you use it, I would consider it personal use. Otherwise you're looking at $100's for business licenses.

Edit again: Unless you can convince work to pay for new antivirus and antispyware programs for you. :)

It's not personal use if it's owned by the company. A company owned laptop requires corporate licenses for its software the same as a corporate owned desktop. I'm sure they'd be in all kinds of trouble if software meant only for home use was found on one of their computers.

I figure if there's nothing free available for corporate use and the company doesn't wanna shell out the cash then there's not much you can do unfortunately.

pc_builder

Ah I didn't know it was company owned. "Work laptop" could have just meant a personally owned laptop used for work. That's where I was confused.

kuulani

It's not "work" as in going in to the office work. I work for my mother-in-law doing side jobs for her (translations, etc...), so it's like a home laptop that I only use for her work, especially since we travel a lot.

Professur

Do you get paid for it?
Do you pay taxes on that pay.

If not, Avast, AVG or frequent use of the Panda activescan (online) are the way to go.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Ah I didn't know it was company owned. "Work laptop" could have just meant a personally owned laptop used for work. That's where I was confused.

Companies actually make people buy their own laptops for work purposes? That's crazy...

Professur

As a tech, I was required to supply my own tools, and car. I wasn't required to, but I did supply my own laptop too.

BeardofPants

Companies actually make people buy their own laptops for work purposes? That's crazy...

My boyfriend has always bought his own comp cos he prefers using a mac, and has more control over what machine he gets to work on if he buys it himself. He uses it for both work & home.

pc_builder

Hey I build my own computers, but not as a business and not for a business. So I'm unfamiliar with the work laptop concept.

Edit: And no I don't build laptops. But wouldn't that be cool.