New Fears eve

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
GO out if you wish but this is enough for me to confirm ny addiction to staying home on amateur night.

Armed helicopters will patrol the restricted airspace over the Strip on New Year's Eve to protect Las Vegas from a potential terrorist attack, authorities said Tuesday.

The military gunships will be equipped with weaponry that can "dismantle or disrupt any kind of ground attack" involving tankers, trucks or other vehicles, Sheriff Bill Young said.

Vegas paper

In Pasadena, California, where thousands will attend American football's annual New Year's Day Rose Bowl game, police will use electronic sensors to detect any biological attack.

In New York, workers sealed manhole covers and removed mailboxes to guard against any potential bomb attack in Times Square. More than 750,000 revelers were expected to gather under the guard of counter-sniper teams and seven police helicopters.

ABCNews

One advantage-I bet there aren't many riots tonight.

MrBishop

They did similar things for 1999's New Years and the one right after 9/11. Nothing happened...but you know what. I'm glad that nothing happened :)

On the other hand...they're really pushing their security measures in those specific spots. If I was a terrorist and wanted to really shake things up, I certainly wouldn't be bombing Times Square or the stadium... any target within viewing distance of those places that goes BOOM will cause terror and a human stampede in Times Square... bomb an office on the 30th floor of the Empire State building. Make it a loud, flashy explosion on the side facing Times Square and watch people trample each other to death running away from an attack 10 miles away.

Hit a hospital, hit a church...minimal loss of life...maximum terror caused. People start to feel that they can't be protected.

Airplanes too guarded, derail a few trains.
Airports feel like prisons with armed guards, bomb a bus terminal,
people protecting the White House, bomb the UN building. etc...

The USA is a very big place and can't be guarded every day, everywhere. Terrorism is too easy. Thank God it hasn't happened since 9/11. With the terror caused by a sniper and his teenage ally over a few weeks period, I wouldn't want to imagine the terror caused by 10-20 suicide car bombers in different states during a one-month period. Think Israel on a HUGE scale.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
MrB said:
people protecting the White House, bomb the UN building. etc...

Be careful where you tread my friend, some things are less, let us say, ingrained, in the American psyche than others *popcornb*

MrBishop

Gonz said:
Be careful where you tread my friend, some things are less, let us say, ingrained, in the American psyche than others *popcornb*

It's a building, with lots of people in it, well known and affect not only the USA but the rest of the world as well. Good target. No comment beyond that.

Hoon

I live in New York and will be out for New Years Eve.

I give Al Queda the middle finger now and invite them to town for a good old fashioned fist fight.

Hoon

I would never raise my dukes...
I'd strike the Karate Kid "Preying Mantas" pose.

That ought to have them soiling their sheets.

chatty kathy

Gonz said:
GO out if you wish but this is enough for me to confirm ny addiction to staying home on amateur night.

Vegas paper

ABCNews

One advantage-I bet there aren't many riots tonight.
Staying home here too.....having a little get together with family.....picked up a lil package of fireworks and playing a few games...like catch phrase....jenga...cards.....Happy New Year

tonksy

man..i love jenga...we modified my set into a truth or dare jenga...they actually do sell those but i'm a cheap bastard :D maybe i'll talk the soon to be ex mr. tonks into a game of phase 10 tonight...wish i had uno cards.

greenfreak

My coworkers brother is a Port Authority cop and he said they're posting machine gunners on the top of the George Washington bridge. I've never had an urge to take a trip in to Times Square on New Year's Eve, much less now. They're all freakin crazy. I'm going to bed in like 15 minutes. :D

Hoon, you live in NY? Where are you?