Nature or nurture

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Of course people's sense of what's right and wrong changes. I'm reasonably certain yours has too.

Actually, you'd be surprised how very little it's changed. Back in my hellraising days I was certainly aware that my actions were wrong...I just either didn't care or willingly took the chance(s).

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Actually, you'd be surprised how very little it's changed. Back in my hellraising days I was certainly aware that my actions were wrong...I just either didn't care or willingly took the chance(s).

Then you moral compass changed, or you would still be doing those wrong things

jimpeel

not gonna bother, but it would be easy to come up with the hetro versions of these, but they do exist, it's easy to site examples of the lowest denominator, and think that is the norm, if there was only a word for that

Interesting. Of the five items, only the last is common to homo and heterosexuals. The rest have to do with people who have parties (barebacking) to catch the HIV virus (the gift), who make an effort to become infected with the HIV virus (bugchaser), and who willfully infect these people (giving the gift).

Do you seriously believe that you can find even one instance of heterosexuals intentionally trying to become infected with the HIV virus and have parties with that goal in mind? Do you actually believe that you can find even one webpage dedicated to this effort in the heterosexual community? I can do a simple Google or Copernic search and find dozens of examples of webpages dedicated to barebacking parties; where they are located; and in what cities to find them.

"Oh, yeah? Well heteros do it too." is not the best debating point you could have made in this instance.

You truly are ill informed.

chcr

Too cute for words
Being willfully promiscuous without protection isn't substantially the same thing?

Bug-chasers are a very small minority of gay men in any case.

jimpeel

Being willfully promiscuous without protection isn't substantially the same thing?

It is only substantially the same thing when one goes out and does so with the intent to either catch the disease; or have the knowledge that doing so increases that risk being an enhancement to the sexual thrill.

Bug-chasers are a very small minority of gay men in any case.

I never said they weren't.

Look up and read some of the stories on barebacking parties and be prepared to cry. It is one of the saddest aspects of current life that I can think of.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
"normal" is for sociologists to argue about. i doubt they'd find you "normal."

Guess you never paid attention to what his job is, and what he graduated college as...

2minkey said:
"commonplace?" hmmm gay seems pretty commonplace. you live in a cave?

:rofl4: No. It's not commonplace. You know statistics, and you should know better than that...

2minkey said:
"against the laws of nature" is your judgement based on a particular set of beliefs that are far from universal.

Once again, look to your strength in statistical analysis.

2minkey said:
"overwhelming majority." hah. so. like, what more than three quarters of people in the US think gays are some abomination like you do? hmmm, kinda doubt that. most people don't really care. gays aren't a big deal to them.

Not an abomination, per se, just abnormal. Their lives, their choice, but don't cry when the majority don't embrace your choice. To paraphrase...
"They're here, they're queer, who gives a shit..."

2minkey

bootlicker
Guess you never paid attention to what his job is, and what he graduated college as...

i don't give a shit what he "graduated college" in. besides, that was essentially a joke since american sociologists are largely obsessed with "deviance" which apparently... fuck it....

No. It's not commonplace. You know statistics, and you should know better than that...

you must be living in a cave, too. conservative figures of 2-3% of the population is fairly commonplace. that's about the same % as jews. are you going to tell me jews aren't commonplace? less than that % are lawyers. lawyers seem fairly commonplace to me.

Once again, look to your strength in statistical analysis.

the statement you're responding to has nothing to do with statistics.

Not an abomination, per se, just abnormal. Their lives, their choice, but don't cry when the majority don't embrace your choice. To paraphrase...

yes, who gives a shit?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
i don't give a shit what he "graduated college" in. besides, that was essentially a joke since american sociologists are largely obsessed with "deviance" which apparently... fuck it....

Hey. Just saying he has some experience in what he's talking about.

2minkey said:
you must be living in a cave, too. conservative figures of 2-3% of the population is fairly commonplace. that's about the same % as jews. are you going to tell me jews aren't commonplace? less than that % are lawyers. lawyers seem fairly commonplace to me.

Umm...I think you're looking at this the wrong way. 2-3% is almost rare by my standards...commonplace is closer to 10%. The area you live in may have up to 10%, which would make your statement faulty in any case because you're dealing only with your area. If you live in Israel, Jews are commonplace...not so in Iran, where they only make up about 2% of the population. You get no play on that statement.

Then you had to add lawyers to the mix. That was funneh, considering that I find most lawyers to be a fairly slimey lot...undeserving life in general. If you want any empathy, you'd best stay away from that line of fallacy. :D

2minkey said:
the statement you're responding to has nothing to do with statistics.

Au contrair. You're basing an assumption on numerical data. Sounds like statistics to me. I'm looking at your post as a whole, not broken up.

2minkey said:
yes, who gives a shit?

Evidently, quite a few people, or none of this would be an issue. ;)

2minkey

bootlicker
Au contrair. You're basing an assumption on numerical data. Sounds like statistics to me. I'm looking at your post as a whole, not broken up.

ummm okay, not really, but rereading i can see it's easy to read it as that way.

also, i stand by my "living in a cave" crack. by the way, when did it become accepted practice to view less-common individuals as less (or not) normal? wordwide, the percentages of air force sergeants or research directors must be pretty low. we must both be abnormal. very, very abnormal. :D

chcr

Too cute for words

There's the problem, Gato. I think that most gays could care less about the majority embracing their choice. There are a fair few loud mouthed jackasses in any social group (even this one ;) ). It's the people who are part of the apparent majority that want to remove that choice that this thread was about. A "cure." Maybe, just maybe they don't think they need curing. "Live and let live" versus "live like we want you to or else."

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
i stand by my "living in a cave" crack. by the way, when did it become accepted practice to view less-common individuals as less (or not) normal?

It ain't their numbers that make them aberrent. It's their behavior. If 85% of the male population started sucking one another off tomorrow, after I finished securing the property with razor wire I'd conclude that 85% of the male population was aberrent.

As to the word "commonplace", that enters a different arena. You see it as "something I'm familiar with"; I see it as "something that commonly occurs and draws no particular notice". Woodpeckers are commonplace here; I see them all the time and barely notice them unless there happens to be a hungry one outside my window. Bears are commonplace in certain areas on the mountain, but in right at 5 years at our address, despite it being within 1/4 mile of the base of one of those mountains, I've yet to see one in the yard. Not what I'd call commonplace.

Nitpick words and play semantic games al you like. It's entertaining as hell to be honest; it always is when you watch someone employ the same tactics in almost the same order to try and wiggle off a hook their overstated and unfounded biased agendized opinions put them on when confronted with facts. Beats the hell out of that freak what won't comb his nastyassed hair building some schlep a house on TV.