Louisiana Ghost Story

simplyred

This happened about a month ago just outside a little town in the bayou country of Louisiana, and while it sounds like an Alfred Hitchcock tale, it's real. (Yea! Right!)

This guy was on the side of the road hitchhiking on a really dark night in the middle of a thunder storm. Time passed slowly and no cars went by.

It was raining so hard he could hardly see his hand in front of his face. Suddenly he saw a car moving slowly approaching and appearing ghostlike in the rain.

It slowly crept toward him and stopped. Wanting a ride really bad the guy jumped in the car and closed the door, only then did he realize that there was nobody behind the wheel.

The car slowly started moving and the guy was terrified, too scared to think of jumping out and running. The guy saw that the car was slowly approaching a sharp curve, still too scared to jump out, he started to pray and begging for his life. He was sure the ghost car would go off the road and into the bayou and he would surely drown, when just before the curve, a hand appeared thru the driver's window and turned the steering wheel, guiding the car safely around the bend.

Paralyzed with fear, the guy watched the hand reappear every time they reached a curve. Finally, the guy scared nearly to death, had all he could take and jumped out of the car and ran to town.

Wet and in shock, he went into a bar and voice quavering, ordered two shots of whiskey, then told everybody about his supernatural experience.

A silence enveloped and everybody got goose bumps when they realized the guy was telling the truth and not just some drunk.

About half an hour later two guys walked into the bar and one says to the other, "Look Boudreaux, der's dat idiot that rode in our car when we was pushin' it in the rain."

Slim Pickens

Speaking of "from the Interstate", I remember the first time a couple of girls from out West and up north rode with me across the Atchafalaya Basin...scared the hell out of them...and, after the wreck on that bridge, one of our friends has refused to cross it again

tonksy

I still hate that bridge. Nothing like a 26 mile bridge to make your bladder go into overdrive.

Professur

tonksy said:
I still hate that bridge. Nothing like a 26 mile bridge to make your bladder go into overdrive.

C'mon up and deal with the Confederation Bridge. 13km of open ocean on a two lane spine of concrete.

Slim Pickens

No offense, Prof, but 19 miles of twin span (sorry, TA) over deepest darkest swamp startles me worse than 8 miles of open water

Professur

Slim Pickens said:
No offense, Prof, but 19 miles of twin span (sorry, TA) over deepest darkest swamp startles me worse than 8 miles of open water

Keep telling yourself that. There's a rest stop at the end of the Confed. It's not really optional. You need to stop to let your arms stop cramping. Sail effect has you fighting automatic lane changes into oncoming traffic the entire way. I'll take a nice quiet swamp any day. In fact, what you describe puts me in mind of the drive up through Laurentian park, on the way to Val D'Or. You spend about half of the 100 some miles over water. I love that park.

Bish, you rough camped up there, didn't you?

simplyred

The twin span isn't just open swamp. We call it the Dolly Parton bridge because it whoops up so high. So your at the top with a gust of air and a hungry gator looking up from outta the water.

simplyred

HELL NO!

You win.........! I will have to find old pics of the twinspan. It is all destroyed from Katrina right now.

simplyred

The only picture I found of the twinspan had no effective meaning, because the "humps" are gone.

Here is the Lake Ponchartrain bridge.........