Lost: final season

Altron

I watched seasons 1-3 in the summer of 2008 when I was kinda bored (my scholarship allowed me to take 12 credits in the summer semester for free, but $995/credit for any more than 12, so I took only 12 which is way less than a normal semester for me so I had a lot of free time).

I had a love/hate thing with Mad Max. I thought the renegade post-apocalyptic thing was such a cool setting for a movie, but the plot was just not as good as the setting was. You had this really interesting guy, in a really cool setting, and then it was a totally dumb movie.

With Lost, it was a similar feeling (but to a lesser extent). The island was cool as fuck. I mean, that island setting felt like something out of a Dark Tower book. Just layers and layers of mysterious things going on. Like it's this island that's half magic and there was important stuff going on but you don't really know the whole story behind it, but you figure it out piece by piece.

What turned me away from the show was a few reasons.
1 - I got tired of seeing character flashbacks. While they were somewhat interesting in that they revealed a little bit of the characters' pasts, there were so many of them and they were so long that it just got boring.
2 - I got tired of drama between the different characters. Again, this is something that is good in moderation, but they had a lot of it.
3 - There was very little plot progression, and very few mysteries revealed. Maybe I'm impatient, but I wanted to at least figure out a few things about the island. I watched almost 72 hours of it (for comparison, I estimate that it took a similar amount of time for me to read the entire Dark Tower, or the entire Sword of Truth, or read the Silmarillion, the Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and then watch all three movies)

I guess, in sum, what I didn't like was just the length of it. The main plot (figuring out what the deal with the island is) was completely overshadowed by all sorts of subplots, and I just got tired of it.

It was like the Wheel of Time. They create so many characters with so many backstories that by the 12th or so Wheel of Time book, you'd read a 1,000 page book that would really have almost nothing actually happen in it, because each main character only got a couple of chapters about them, since there are 25+ main characters.

Cerise

I am. I am kinda "lost" however. Last season was so well done, and I hope that they get into the groove with this year pretty soon......BTW: Locke is the smoke monster? Sweet!

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Altron, I'm kind of with you on the drama and excessive flashbacks. However, by the end of season 3 the flashbacks were replaced by "flash-forwards". That made season 4 fresh again, as once again you just can't figure how to assemble the puzzle.

Cerise, you got a PM (I don't want to post spoilers)

Altron

yeah I saw a few of the flash forwards (watched the first couple season 4 episodes) but got tired of it.

I just wanted to know what happens on the freaking island! not what happens before or after it. I mean, the backstories were interesting, but I just wanted to know more about the main plot.

IDLEchild

www.cracked.com gave the best advice on how to keep with this show: Don't watch a single episode. You'll know more about what's going on then someone who religiously watches it and be 90% less annoying.

AlladinSane

Watching "religiously" as soon as I get my hands on each episode. Though more and more I fear it won't have a decent closure...
I disliked 5th season, except for the last episode, which turned the whole series upside down. My first thought after I watched 'The Incident' was: "Damn, now I have to watch this whole thing from the start again".

MrBishop

www.cracked.com gave the best advice on how to keep with this show: Don't watch a single episode. You'll know more about what's going on then someone who religiously watches it and be 90% less annoying.

Havnt' watched it since the dog got killed way back in season 1...then again, I don't miss it.

AlladinSane

Yup, the dog was pretty much alive in season 5, and odds of it being the last survivor on the island are growing up :D

Luis G

Staff member
May 23rd, mark your calendar for the series finale.

I expect the series to close up nicely, but I doubt 2 hours will be enough to tie it all together and answer all of the remaining questions and plot holes.

AlladinSane

Well, it was disapointing after all. I had long ago lost my faith in having the misteries explained, but they really screwed up. The very ending was a bit touching and the paralell sidestory was OK, but all in all, the whole scheme to overthrow the MiB was so badly put together that it totally ruined the mood for me. A pity...

Luis G

Staff member
Yeah, I didn't like the ending either, but since the story was so twisted and overdoed you couldn't expect a solid ending.